When did Kermit and Miss Piggy leave?

hsvwriggt

Reaction score
Forgive me for being ignorant. I'm new here. My 2 1/2 year old son has recently gotten into Sesame Street and, so, after all these years I am watching Sesame Street again (I was born in '67, so I watched it from the beginning). I remember "The Muppet Show" being on in primetime, but I was just wondering if that was when Kermit and Miss Piggy left Sesame Street. Does anyone know?

Also, how were they written out of the script?

Recently (after the hurricanes in Florida) they showed some reruns on SS about a hurricane coming -- and I guess Big Bird lost his nest and had to get a new one. They reran them apparently (a friend told me there was an article in the paper) to help kids who were in the recent hurricanes deal with loss. ANYWAY, a much heavier Al Roper (my first clue that it was a rerun) and Kermit were on the show doing a weather segment, so I am curious whether they use Kermit only sometimes or if he is gone for good.

Also, does anyone know how the script finally brought in everyone "believing" that Snuffy really exists? He was always Big Bird's pretend friend when I was watching it.

Thanks for the help!

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
hiya,

Piggy never was on Sesame Street. Closest thing to Muppet Show being on Sesame Street (besides kermit) as Rowlf in the original pilot tests for SS.

Kermit hasn't been on SS since EM.TV bought The Muppets from JHC in around 2002. If he has, it's not been anything new. Nowadays, Sesame Street, The Muppets, and Fraggle Rock are seperated into different companies (Sesame Workshop, Disney, and Jim Henson Company respectively).

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
Yes. Kermit still pops up on the show sometimes like in the "Do de Rubber Duck" song and in the 35th anniversary special, but they need permission from the Jim Henson company to use him. In answer to your other question about Snuffy, you might want to look at the "Big Bird and Snuffy" thread on this page. They have quite a lot of info on that.

christyb

Reaction score
Kermit also pops up in the News Flash sketches still on Sesame Street every now and then. However, these are all old stuff by now.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
Are you sure about that? I haven't seen a Kermit News Flash since they changed the format. I thought the last one that was shown was in the hurricane episode.

T

timrikthegorf

I remember Piggy and Kermit on there once. Piggy was in a black dress I think. They were in front of Oscar's trash can. It was some special I think. Never saw it again. Anyoneremember this?

christyb

Reaction score
Daffyfan2003 said:
Are you sure about that? I haven't seen a Kermit News Flash since they changed the format. I thought the last one that was shown was in the hurricane episode.
No I'm not sure. I haven't watched a recent Sesame Street Episode in forever (ok maybe a couple of months) But the last one that I saw they had an old news flash on it.

Drtooth

Reaction score
timrikthegorf said:
I remember Piggy and Kermit on there once. Piggy was in a black dress I think. They were in front of Oscar's trash can. It was some special I think. Never saw it again. Anyoneremember this?
Unless it was the old "30 years of the Muppets" special, I doubt it could have existed.