1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Save Muppet Central Radio
    Within days Muppet Central Radio could be off the air. Show your support and save the station by listening via Radionomy's website and apps. We're also on iTunes and Apple TV. Learn More

When does the Disney deal take effect?

Discussion in 'Muppet Headlines' started by Aaron, Mar 22, 2004.

1. Aaron

Aaron Active Member

when dose disney take over the muppets

2. Bean Bunny

Bean Bunny New Member

Proably very soon. The deal was made in January and they it is going to take two months, proably April.

3. BoyRaisin2

BoyRaisin2 Active Member

From yesterday's HIT announcement:

>>The deal does not include titles involving the Muppets or Bear in the Big Blue House, the rights to which were recently acquired by The Walt Disney Company.

Best known as creators of the world famous Muppets (the rights to which are now owned by The Walt Disney Company), Henson is the recipient of nearly 50 Emmy Awards and nine Grammy Awards.<<

I guess that means the deal's completed?

4. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear Well-Known Member

I think Aaron means when will all the Muppets stuff be transferred from the JHC lots to the Disney lots? I also wonder who'll keep all the old JHC Archived Muppets Stuff now?

5. BoyRaisin2

BoyRaisin2 Active Member

His question didn't really sound that specific, but that's a good one anyway.

I did call JHC a few weeks ago though and they'll keep the Kermit/Chaplin statue and other Muppets memoribillia laid out throughout the property. So while the Muppets will move to Disney's Burbank lot, remnants of the past will still be at Chaplin.

6. McFraggle

McFraggle Active Member

I thought I heard that they would have to remove Kermit from the company logo, has that happened yet.

7. Aaron

Aaron Active Member

no i ment when is it final

8. BoyRaisin2

BoyRaisin2 Active Member

They will do that, depending on when it's final. And no one at Disney and/or Henson has said anything yet, and I don't know if they will.

9. Luke

Luke Active Member

Did they actually say the physical "Muppets" would be moved to the Burbank lot or did they just mean it in a business sense?

10. oOoanimaloOo

oOoanimaloOo New Member

:halo: I hope soon because Its starting to get really annoying the whole we bought muppets but were not going to do anything for a while. To think of it, it probably wount start to take affect tell the whole disney takeover bid ends. :halo:

11. beaker

beaker Well-Known Member

I passed by Disney's lot in Burbank the other month...so sad they will be moving.

So I guess weve had some time to accept that JHC souled out.

So yeah, when does this all take effect? And why the heck couldnt Disney but all of JHC and have it a subsiiary like bueana vista or touchstone?

12. BoyRaisin2

BoyRaisin2 Active Member

>>Did they actually say the physical "Muppets" would be moved to the Burbank lot or did they just mean it in a business sense?<<

I meant that figuratively. I don't even understand how the Disney/Muppet Workshop thing will work.

>>And why the heck couldnt Disney but all of JHC and have it a subsiiary like bueana vista or touchstone?<<

I would love to know how those negotiations went for those six months.

13. Luke

Luke Active Member

I don't fully either. I am expecting Disney to hire the Muppeteers out through JHC, and for JHC to be paid "rent" to keep and maintain the puppets at Chaplin. I guess anything is possible with Disney though as the name change has shown.

14. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear Well-Known Member

I asked about the transition in an email:
    Hi,

After the Disney deal has gone through regarding the Muppets, to whom do we write to get autographed photos of the Muppets Characters and their performers? Will we still write JHC for a while, and if so, when does the transfer to Disney go into effect to start writing to them? Any idea what address we'll be writing to?

Also, as far as archives go, will the JHC hold on to all the old Muppets stuff, or will that transfer to Disney as well?

Thanks
    Kev
    Fozzie Bear at MuppetCentral.com

response:
    Dear Kev,

We thank you for your questions. Unfortunately, we don't yet have the answers. We suggest that you check back with us in a couple of weeks

Again, thanks for writing and regards . . . The Jim Henson Company

So, it's all still in the air for now.

15. BoyRaisin2

BoyRaisin2 Active Member

OK, so I take it that the deal hasn't taken affect yet. But they said 30-60 days, so it's gotta be this month.

And last night's SS 35 special said "Kermit the Frog, Copyright The Jim Henson Company." Might be the last time you'll see that.

16. Luke

Luke Active Member

I think it may have gone into effect, just it isnt so formal that there is a finite deadline for them to work out whats happening seeing as the two companies will be working together a lot anyway. The HIT press release said the characters were now the property of Disney, although i guess that could have been a forward statement.

17. trekkie1701E

trekkie1701E New Member

It'll be interesting to see what happens in the future regarding the muppets.

BTW, here's an interesting thought: What about the gobs and gobs of stuff sold at MGM Studios and DCA? Would all that merchandise need to be changed to say "Disney"? Or do ya think the plush, beanies, etc churned out from now on will have Disney's name on it, while the old stuff is left alone?