When Nurse Janice "was operating in the other room"

peyjenk

Reaction score
In one of the Vet's Hospital sketches in season one (sorry, I can't remember which episode), Janice says that she was late because she "was operating in the other room." Dr. Bob replies, "I know, it's the talk of the hospital!"

Now, I've always seen this joke as rather risque... as in, I took it that Dr. Bob's response implied that Janice's "operation" was sexual. But then, last night I thought of another possibility. Maybe it is a pun on "operating" and "talk", as in talking to a telephone operator.

Either way, it is a pretty weak joke, but I now wonder exactly what it is supposed to mean since I've come up with two different interpretations. Anyone care to weigh in?

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I do think the first interpretation is correct, it's a slightly risque (not to mention old) joke. Lol

But that's an interesting interpretation about the "operating" and "talk"; I hadn't thought of it that way before. :smile:

MWoO

Reaction score
the first one is certainly the right one. Connecting talk to telephone operator is just way out there.

People forge the muppet show had a good deal of sexual jokes and such. Piggy was even called a sex symbol in one of the muppet specials. Everyone always seems o forget stuff like this. I mean, Kermit and piggy sang a song abut Kermit getting piggy pregnant and not being able to marry her because his wife won't let him.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Yeah people do forget that the Muppets tended to be risque and adult back in the day. And they knew there was a difference between adult humor and immature humor. :smile: