1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 48
    Sesame Street's 48th season officially began Monday August 6 on PBS. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

Dismiss Notice

When will The Muppet Show Seasons 4-5 and Muppets Tonight arrive on DVD?

Discussion in 'Muppet Merchandise' started by AnakinGonzo, Mar 25, 2012.

1. Muppet Master

Muppet Master Well-Known Member

Special edition is likey, slip a new cover on the old boxsets with a sticker that either says watch the muppets on ABC or 40th anniversary of TMS, still shows that Disney hasn't forgotten about them. Though by the time the actual DVD sets are released no one will be using DVDs, it's not like streaming hasn't already taken over most of their money.

2. Muppet fan 123

Muppet fan 123 Well-Known Member

Regardless of if there are any new notable features, its a good sign Disney is rereleasing them.

dwayne1115 and Duke Remington like this.
  3. Pig's Laundry

Pig's Laundry Well-Known Member

Perhaps the 40th anniversary of The Muppet Show is what they were waiting for all along.

Duke Remington likes this.
  4. Muppet Master

Muppet Master Well-Known Member

I was wondering if Disney was going to do anything for the 40th anniversary of TMS, but I felt it seemed too farfetched, and Disney had too many other franchises on their plate, but it's nice to see that they're doing something for it, even if it's not for the 40th anniversary, it's good that TMS is going to be in stores for people to buy, maybe good sales will lead to the other seasons being released.

JT Yorke and Duke Remington like this.
  5. MartyMuppets

MartyMuppets Well-Known Member

Why are we still waiting?

Prof Bunsen likes this.
  6. Prof Bunsen

Prof Bunsen Active Member

Because Disney's unpredictable.

MartyMuppets likes this.
  7. DarthGonzo

DarthGonzo Well-Known Member

Disney is VERY predictable. They don’t want to put older shows on DVD anymore. They’re over it. If the last two seasons of this series ever get some sort of release from Disney, it’s going to be on their streaming site. Forget the DVDs.

LittleJerry92 and gavry3 like this.
  8. MartyMuppets

It's getting to look like we can predict one thing at least about Disney. The longer time goes by the more predictable it seems that the season releases have been cancelled and they won't outrightly admit so to us.

As such it will be a big surprise if the day ever comes when Season 4 is on DVD.

gavry3 likes this.
  9. Froggy Fool

Froggy Fool Well-Known Member

I'm really hoping they'll put 4 & 5 on their streaming service. I'm not holding my breath, but that would sure be nice.

10. LittleJerry92

LittleJerry92 Well-Known Member

They really are, and I feel like people forget/overlook how bad Disney is when it comes to putting shows on DVD. Usually they're just volume sets with random episodes scattered around or usually releasee the first two seasons of a show and end it there. We're VERY lucky to have even gotten season 3 on DVD.

Now that Shout Factory is doing business with Disney, I think it's up to them to get the last 2 seasons out, assuming Disney gives them permission.

11. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

12. LittleJerry92

It's a wait and see I guess. :smirk:

13. dwayne1115

dwayne1115 Well-Known Member

I'd be happy with them being officially downloadable like on ITunes or what have you. Or on a streaming service of some kind.

Froggy Fool and LittleJerry92 like this.
  14. LittleJerry92

15. dwayne1115

I think that's a missed opportunity for the Muppets, they could but there extensive library on something like that and make a profit.

16. Prof Bunsen

Prof Bunsen Active Member

Yeah, I'm afraid we might have to rely on Shout! Factory or Mill Creek to release the remaining sets, though the former would be a better candidate for that. Again though, they will still need to get the copyright holdings cleared for all of the episodes, including approval from the surviving guest stars and/or estates for music and likenesses. It's not as easy as you think. They tried to get ALL of the original music when they were trying to release a complete set for WKRP, and they only got at least 80% of them, which was still good, but they had to abandon attempting to get some of the Pink Floyd and Beatles songs cleared, so you still hear soundalike recordings. On top of that, they have access to the master tapes so they can digitize them, unless if you want a very sloppy videotape (since the show was shot on tape). But Shout! Factory is better than nothing.

LittleJerry92 likes this.
  17. dwayne1115

The only way I see them doing anything like that is if they do a complete series.

LittleJerry92 likes this.
  18. LittleJerry92

@Prof Bunsen they still have the option of just editing out whatever songs can't be cleared for home video.

19. MartyMuppets

That's precisely what they did with Season 1. I'm honestly surprised there were no edits necessary for Seasons 2 or 3.

20. LittleJerry92

Maybe they just got lucky with licensing deals.