When will The Muppet Show Seasons 4-5 and Muppets Tonight arrive on DVD?

Prof Bunsen

Reaction score
Well, it's 2016 and we still haven't heard a word from Disney on seasons 4 and 5.

I think the reason why they haven't been released yet is not specifically copyright issues, but more like intellectual property issues. In order to release something to home video, Disney/Jim Henson Enterprises needs permission, as well as money for royalties, from all the guest stars to lend their likenesses in the episodes. Warner Home Video had this quagmire when they were trying to release a complete set of The New Scooby-Doo Movies. They weren't able to get all the guest stars' permission to use their likenesses, and so they released a compilation set instead of only 15 episodes from that show. So it's possible that Disney hasn't released the final two seasons yet due to the reason I've just stated, which may be likely. It can be a herculean task because even for a expansive corporation like Disney, royalties are expensive, and they want to prioritize their expenses towards future feature films, their amusement parks, and for research and development. The only thing we can do right now is just wait patiently until they reconsider their efforts in releasing the fourth and fifth season box sets, which may take a little while. Remember they need to pay royalty fees and obtain permission from the guest stars themselves, not just for music.

Muppet Master

Reaction score
Wow, this just got interesting, it's not much of a rumor, this is happening, the DVDs are all listed on Amazon, I wonder what special edition means, probably just repackaged to celebrate the 40th aniversary of the series, but this is hope that maybe seasons 4 and 5 are on the way.

Prof Bunsen

Reaction score
One can only hope. I already have the first three seasons of TMS anyway, so I don't need to buy it again (unless they brought back the "Muppet Morsels" special feature for seasons 2 and 3, which I do like). But I hope re-releasing the DVD's will re-usher a demand for the final two seasons and other subsequent releases. I'm actually kind of curious if they'll someday release the undervalued The Jim Henson Hour.

Mo Frackle

Reaction score
One can only hope. I already have the first three seasons of TMS anyway, so I don't need to buy it again (unless they brought back the "Muppet Morsels" special feature for seasons 2 and 3, which I do like). But I hope re-releasing the DVD's will re-usher a demand for the final two seasons and other subsequent releases. I'm actually kind of curious if they'll someday release the undervalued The Jim Henson Hour.
Most of the Muppet Morsels were provided by Jerry Juhl, who sadly left us before 2 and 3 were prepared.

Hey, here's an idea - get Dave and Steve and Louise and Kathy and some of the writers to do audio commentaries on future releases. Seriously, commentaries by the performers are long overdue.

Disney and Henson would have to make some sort of deal to release uncut episodes of The Jim Henson Hour.

Duke Remington

Reaction score
Most of the Muppet Morsels were provided by Jerry Juhl, who sadly left us before 2 and 3 were prepared.

Hey, here's an idea - get Dave and Steve and Louise and Kathy and some of the writers to do audio commentaries on future releases. Seriously, commentaries by the performers are long overdue.

Disney and Henson would have to make some sort of deal to release uncut episodes of The Jim Henson Hour.
Actually, the Morsels were written by Craig Shemin, not Jerry Juhl.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Let's not forget Lionsgate that actually released some of JHH.

I'm hoping the re-releases of seasons 1-3 are a good sign. I wonder what makes them so "Special Edition." Especially since they're rereleasing Dinosaurs as well, and it's cheaper on Amazon to get the original seasons 3&4 than it is to get the rerelease.

Don't quite see how that works.