When you need to rant...

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
I thought I was the only Get Smart fan here. I wasn't such a big fan of the movie, but I just recently got into the show from 1965-it's one of the best shows of all time. Right up there with TMS and Seinfeld.

Is it just me, or are DVDs/Blu-Rays such a rip-off these days? A Blu-Ray combo pack is $35 dollars here. PLUS Tax, which ends up being like $40 dollars. Seriously, who wants to pay that kind of money for a movie and a bunch of nice features? (And you only even get that if you own a Blu-Ray player). Yeesh.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I thought I was the only Get Smart fan here. I wasn't such a big fan of the movie, but I just recently got into the show from 1965-it's one of the best shows of all time. Right up there with TMS and Seinfeld.

Well, the movie was pretty good, but Steve Carell was the only one that really knew the source material. But I did like how the parody/serious spy drama had such a thin line. That's what the show was like. It's best to avoid the horrid side movie about the two CONTROL scientists. That was very disappointing. Especially since Patrick Warburton was Haimie, and was completely underused in that one, even though the main movie kinda hinted that there was to be this big sequence in that dumb side film about him.

Seriously, it's one of the few old TV show based movies that got it right and managed to make a name for itself. It was far better than the actual Get Smart movie, The Nude Bomb. Seriously, this film NEEDED a sequel and never got one. And Overrated Brady Bunch had like 3 movies. One Made for TV (that flopped in the ratings because of a certain Muppet telefilm).

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
The movie was pretty good. Steve Carrell and Anne Hathaway did great jobs as their characters. 99 was slightly off character, but was still pretty good.
My biggest complaints are of the following:
  • Alan Arkin as the Chief. That was just a horrible idea, he was nothing like the Chief! Yeesh...even worse that Seigfried's casting for the movie.
  • Seigfried: Whoever played him did a terrible job, out of character completely. Seigfried is my favorite character from the show, they just messed it up. They might have well just made up another character for the movie.
  • CONTROL Secret Headquarters: They got everything wrong, CONTROL is not supposed to be the high-tech agency, that's KAOS. In the show, there's always these new KAOS agents, but CONTROL is run by five people. In the movie, the entire KAOS is four people.
It's not even the actor's faults at times, it's mostly the director's and casters. Most of the actors did the best they could with these characters, but still, just terrible.
When he drives his old red car out of the building, or when he uses the shoe-phone, I had a complete fan attack. They knew how to redo a classic scene.
Steve Carrell did the best job in the movie portraying Maxwell Smart. He's the best casting I would have ever thought of, and very right-on with the character, but nothing will ever beat Don Adams.

Drtooth

Reaction score
  • CONTROL Secret Headquarters: They got everything wrong, CONTROL is not supposed to be the high-tech agency, that's KAOS. In the show, there's always these new KAOS agents, but CONTROL is run by five people. In the movie, the entire KAOS is four people.
Devil's Advocate here... but there's a huge reason why they stepped that up. It wouldn't look good on film to completely recreate a smaller scale agency. Likewise, you can't expect a live action weekly show to have the same look as a big budget movie (at least back in the 60's). It's nothing more than a big budget film upgrade, and comparing the TV show to the movie for that specific effect is like comparing the old Mission Impossible series to the Tom Cruise movies. But then again, it does that beautifully, even managing to find a place for the Zeerust technology like the Shoephone.

Let's face it, modern tech is making fantastic spy gizmos impossible to come up with.

But if you look at the other movies spawned from other shows, it's high on the list. Of course, that's not saying much for the film. Most of the time they're lousy, some of the time, they just don't work because the shows are very specific to a certain period in time. Like when they made that Mod Squad movie in the 90's. "What the heck is Mod?" asked everyone under the age of 40 when the film came out. Get Smart actually does manage to move out of the fact that it's very 1960's sensitive, and just works on goofing on spy movies and not the Cold War culture that the show really benefits from.

Plus, really... the Nude Bomb was funny, but uneven. Especially since Agent 99 is completely absent from the picture.

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
I never heard of The Nude Bomb until you just mentioned it...I gotta watch that. But it's weird that 99 would be missing from that...they kinda pushed her to become the main character, and don't they end up getting married?

I remember reading, the original script to the three part episode, "A Man Named Smart" (season 2) was originally supposed to be a script for a Get Smart movie, but was changed in the end to a 3 part episode.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I haven't seen a whole lot of Get Smart, but from what I understand, yes, Max and 99 get married, at the end of Season Four, I believe, and I know Season Five opens with 99 being pregnant, and Max beaming at the thought of CONTROL having, "Another Maxwell Smart".

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
I didn't see the whole season four. There was a time where I was watching it so much I eventually got sick of it. I'm really in the mood of watching an episode right now, I wish I had the DVDs with me.
I'm surprised that they never mentioned 99's name. I think they said the Chief's name in a episode once, I don't know what it is though.

It's funny, 'cause not only did I find out you'se guys are fans of the show, but I was just talking to my friend and it turned out that we were both huge fans too!
Two times in one day! I thought I was the only person my age who even knew what this was!
It turns out a whole bunch of my friends loved this show. Gosh, I don't believe it. :smile:

newsmanfan

Reaction score
-------------
Rant: people in denial, which is apparently a river many enjoy swimming in for most of their lives...

Just disgusted with the daughter (60ish, should know better) of one of my clients. The client has taken a turn for the worse; she already has Parkinson's, and has been very confused and physically unstable the past few days. Could be as a result of a recent fall, could be stroke, could just be the disease kicking into the next stage, we don't know...but whatever the cause, all are agreed that she needs to be seen by a doctor...except the daughter. Yes, it's hard to see a parent, or any family member in decline, I understand -- but if it were my mom I'd make D--D sure she had the professional medical help she needed instead of blithely setting the woman up for a kaffeklatch with friends! Idiocy. Just plain idiocy. I only hope her INaction doesn't result in worse things for the client.

And yes...in that case...APS may have to be involved. Out of my hands. But I'm still disgusted and angry.
-------------

D'Snowth

Reaction score
So, yesterday a survey was released to determine what are top ten happiest countries in the world. The U.S. was not on that list, which doesn't surprise me, but what really bothered me were the comments on the article, because it's like every other one of them were like, "Of course these countries are happy, look how white they are!" Who all has been reading that survey, the Ku Klux Klan?

Drtooth

Reaction score
So, yesterday a survey was released to determine what are top ten happiest countries in the world. The U.S. was not on that list, which doesn't surprise me, but what really bothered me were the comments on the article, because it's like every other one of them were like, "Of course these countries are happy, look how white they are!" Who all has been reading that survey, the Ku Klux Klan?
Never read the comments section unless you want your soul to burn and to throw you into a pit of despair against humanity. There's no filter for morons and racists that think they're bold geniuses for saying something moronic and racist. And you confront them, they call everyone else racist but themselves.

That's why the other countries are happy. Moron racist backwoods bitter dimwits don't live in those countries.