When you need to rant...

D'Snowth

Reaction score
That I know, I've seen that kind of stuff before.

Notice how pretty much none of the employees even try to help the victim (even when she's visibly having a seizure after being attacked)... heck, even better, notice at the end, the guy who's doing the recording tells the attackers to get out of there before the police get there.

Mo Frackle

Reaction score
It pains me to read these stories. I'm glad that you guys are still here.

I had a friend at this daycare center I went to, who is sadly no longer with us. After I left the daycare, I didn't see him again until my senior year of high school (he was a freshman). The thing is, I didn't even realize we had a class together until after his passing was reported.

The poor guy seemed to have a hard time making friends. One day in class, we had to give presentations. Naturally, nobody once to do that, but most of us were relatively calm about it.

My old friend (again, I didn't recognize him) went up to the front of the class with a sort of robotic walk. And the way he spoke was also sort of robotic. Everybody in the class laughed at him. Though I could tell he was nervous as heck, so I didn't find it funny at all.

About a week later, a lady came into our class and reported that he had passed away. The cause of his death was not mentioned to us, but word got around that it was apparently suicide. I later found out that the guy was bullied a lot, apparently for being considered "weird". His odd walk and talk probably resulted from serious anxiety (he was NOTHING like this when I knew him).

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
I've posted a thread on bullying last year, and it did me good to see I was in such good company. Still, 30 years ago bullying seemed like a picnic compared to today's standards.

It still beats me that school can be such a breeding ground for bullies to thrive- kids with low self-esteem to start strike out against smaller and weaker kids, teachers on their misguided power trips, "friends" turning against you, kids afraid to get involved for fear of repercussions...
what would it take to wipe the slate clean so we can start over, and MAYBE get it right?

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
Schools now are trying to stop bullying...the problem now is that most bullying is done outside school online where teachers don't have any power to do anything.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
At least they're trying to make an effort at schools.

But yes, cyberbullying has been a major problem as well: I was mercilessly cyberbullied by an entire forum (no, an entire fandom, to be exact) in the past, but when I look back on it in retrospect, I think I can agree I did bring it on myself because I was such an arrogant little jerkwad who drove everybody crazy.

At school, though, yeah, again, it was just the typical fat kid torment. Name calling, moob groping, belly poking, doing commentary as I ate lunch.

Oh yeah, I was peed on once in Grade 7.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I don't think he did, and it was such a random and unexpected occurence that I don't think I even got a good look at whoever did it... I just remember I spent the better part of the next day (or maybe the day after) with the super indendent, and an investigator, trying to re-enact how it happened, because apparently they didn't think my claim sounded logical.

charlietheowl

Reaction score
I don't blame you for being too surprised to notice who did it, or for the superintendent for thinking that the event wasn't logical, because that is so strange. I truly wonder what sort of thought process has to go through a person's head for them to decide "hey I'm going to pee on someone" and not have a problem with it.

ncchuck

Reaction score
At least they're trying to make an effort at schools.

But yes, cyberbullying has been a major problem as well: I was mercilessly cyberbullied by an entire forum (no, an entire fandom, to be exact) in the past, but when I look back on it in retrospect, I think I can agree I did bring it on myself because I was such an arrogant little jerkwad who drove everybody crazy.

At school, though, yeah, again, it was just the typical fat kid torment. Name calling, moob groping, belly poking, doing commentary as I ate lunch.

Oh yeah, I was peed on once in Grade 7.
I can feel your pain after my first dragoncon and first ever costume I had a lot of hate thrown at me for no reason other than them not liking the way I look because I am bigger than most and the fact I was making props from the show when other people thought they should have been the only person making props from the show, so I understand when a few people from a certain fandom comes at you.