When you need to rant...

Drtooth

Reaction score
We don't need any of these reality shows, but people are daft enough to watch them. And as I said, people watch them ironically and/or because they're terrible. Which is, like, a million times worse. If you burn a book, you still have to pay for it, and once they have your money, who cares what you do. Replace money with buzz and ratings, and you have reality TV. I really wish people would take to watching bad movies ironically instead. At least writers and actors were paid decent wages to screw up there.

Scooterforever

Reaction score
Complaining about reality television is kind of a lost cause; there's too much money in it. I think the people who watch it are more at fault than the reality stars themselves, as they wouldn't be reality stars if nobody watched. There's stuff like "Survivor" and "Dancing with the Stars" that doesn't really bother me, because it's all consenting adults, but then there's Toddlers & Tiaras, in which mothers warp their children for life AND ARE REWARDED FOR IT. My mother watches T&T, and it sickens me that she does. How soon before we have a reality tv show dedicated to rewarding rape and murder? Wait, we do, it's called professional/ college sports.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I think the people who watch it are more at fault than the reality stars themselves, as they wouldn't be reality stars if nobody watched.
THANK you! Like I said, watching it ironically makes sure that it has a nice longevity. There's so much other hilarious things to watch ironically, and they choose this stuff. Then they turn around and complain that these people are only famous for being famous when they are the ones that let them.
but then there's Toddlers & Tiaras, in which mothers warp their children for life AND ARE REWARDED FOR IT. My mother watches T&T, and it sickens me that she does.
All those reality TV shows that reward poor parenting, Teen pregnancy, cult giant families. Why are Moral Guardians going after scripted television, and not demanding that these shows get pulled off the air. And while I'm at it, know what reality shows I really hate? Documentaries about gigantically fat people. Nothing like spreading thin-spiration as getting that big is an incredible feat. Really, anything on TLC. How the heck is any of this learning?

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
Those shows exploiting overweight people really really irritate me. I don't get if they are supposed to be inspirational or not. I mean, most of them are about people losing weight, but at the same time it also sends the message that its ok to make fun of fat people. I was talking to an acquaintance and he suddenly brought up The Biggest Loser and was saying how those people deserve to gain back what they lost for not continuing to exercise and went off on this rant about people exercising. I nearly punched him for that...but I digress.

These shows really make me feel worse about myself. I've struggled with my weight my entire life and then you have these shows where its like "Haha, look at the fat person! Let's watch them make fools of themselves!" Truthfully I'm terrified of getting food in public on campus (although I sort of have to if I want to eat) because I'm always scared someone is gonna stare at me and judge me on what I get.

I've actually lost weight since I started college, which is the opposite it seems for most people. I was nearing 250 in high school, but now I stay between 210 and 220

Scooterforever

Reaction score
THANK you! Like I said, watching it ironically makes sure that it has a nice longevity. There's so much other hilarious things to watch ironically, and they choose this stuff. Then they turn around and complain that these people are only famous for being famous when they are the ones that let them.

All those reality TV shows that reward poor parenting, Teen pregnancy, cult giant families. Why are Moral Guardians going after scripted television, and not demanding that these shows get pulled off the air. And while I'm at it, know what reality shows I really hate? Documentaries about gigantically fat people. Nothing like spreading thin-spiration as getting that big is an incredible feat. Really, anything on TLC. How the heck is any of this learning?
What happened to TLC? I'm so old, I remember when TLC had family-friendly educational programming instead of being a haven for the worst reality tv shows on television. I also remember when MTV was actually Music Television, and also had great comedy shows like Sifl and Olly, instead of, like TLC, airing reality shows starring the worst people on the planet.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
These shows really make me feel worse about myself. I've struggled with my weight my entire life and then you have these shows where its like "Haha, look at the fat person! Let's watch them make fools of themselves!" Truthfully I'm terrified of getting food in public on campus (although I sort of have to if I want to eat) because I'm always scared someone is gonna stare at me and judge me on what I get.
You are not alone Sarge; I used to be rather trim when I was a tiny lil' guy, but it's like once I had my tonsils removed when I was five, I just kept packing on the pounds as I got older... and I feel your pain, so many times during lunch in middle school, apparently just the sight of me eating was a spectacle to behold. :smirk:
I've actually lost weight since I started college, which is the opposite it seems for most people. I was nearing 250 in high school, but now I stay between 210 and 220
210 is actually supposed to be MY ideal weight: because I have a lot of Scotch/Irish and Cherokee in my blood, I'm naturally big-boned and husky, so because of that, my doctors have determined that my ideal weight would be around 210 or so. Unfortunately, up until this past holiday season, I lost up to 21 pounds (and it took me TWO YEARS to lose that) and still have roughly 70 pounds or so to go... then when the holidays came up, I put all that weight back on in two months. Two YEARS to take it off, and it came back in two MONTHS. I hate that it's a hundre times harder to take it off as opposed to packing it on.
What happened to TLC? I'm so old, I remember when TLC had family-friendly educational programming instead of being a haven for the worst reality tv shows on television. I also remember when MTV was actually Music Television, and also had great comedy shows like Sifl and Olly, instead of, like TLC, airing reality shows starring the worst people on the planet.
Remember when A&E used to play shows like BIOGRAPHY, TRUE HOLLYWOOD STORY, other documentary specials about various different people, before they switched to reality shows about redneck billionaires (admittedly, I DO like BILLY THE EXTERMINATOR, but that's about it).

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
Why does anyone in this earth give a $#@% about ***** or Gangam Style? WHAT HAS HAPPENED TO SOCIETY? WHY MUST THIS CRAP BE VIRAL? :grr:

I want nothing to do with this world anymore.

OK. I'm done ranting.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
I actually really hate that meme...it's used so often for the stupidest of things.

robodog

Reaction score
Those shows exploiting overweight people really really irritate me. I don't get if they are supposed to be inspirational or not. I mean, most of them are about people losing weight, but at the same time it also sends the message that its ok to make fun of fat people. I was talking to an acquaintance and he suddenly brought up The Biggest Loser and was saying how those people deserve to gain back what they lost for not continuing to exercise and went off on this rant about people exercising. I nearly punched him for that...but I digress.

I understand. I used to be a skinny kid, but at one point there would be these kids who would jump me and beat me up every time I left the house. At one point they cornered me at the local swimming pool and almost drowned me. I couldn't go outside without fear so I simply stayed in the house. That's when I started packing on the pounds which gave kids at school yet another reason to pick on me. My father was just as bad. He'd come in the bathroom when I was taking a bath and start screaming at me for how fat I was.

Now I'm actually losing weight rapidly to the point some people are concerned about me. But when I was living in the hospital with my mom when she was dying of cancer I learned to get by on eating very little food. I simply don't get hungry anymore. One meal a day is all I need and sometimes not even that. I've gone for two days without eating a thing sometimes.