When you need to rant...

charlietheowl

Reaction score
Censorship of movies is annoying. I remember watching Caddyshack on TV once and they cut the scene where Spackler lights the giant joint in his "house", which was ridiculous. If they wanted to cut something for time, they could have cut out any of the romantic scenes with Danny, and if they cut it out for the drug content, then the executives were a little too prudish.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Censorship of movies is annoying. I remember watching Caddyshack on TV once and they cut the scene where Spackler lights the giant joint in his "house", which was ridiculous. If they wanted to cut something for time, they could have cut out any of the romantic scenes with Danny, and if they cut it out for the drug content, then the executives were a little too prudish.
I remember thinking it was strange that network airings of some movies like LITTLE GIANTS redubbed the word "crap" with something else, but then again, that was back in the 90s, when "crap" was considered a "bad word".

As much as they allow on TV nowadays, I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't editing anything out on networks anymore, unless it's strictly for time restraints.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I call bull crap on crap being a cuss word. Prudes think it's a cuss word. Crap is the G-rated substitute for the SH bomb, and it should be treated and respected as such.

If they got away with saying it on Hey Arnold, they should still get away with it on kid's shows.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
I'm always surprised that FX doesn't cut the scene in the Simpsons Movie where Homer gives everyone the finger and then tries to dig his way out of the sinkhole.

And Yet I think FX censored Wild Hogs when someone drives by a motorcycle club and gives them the finger. A second finger is digitally added in, which really defeats the purpose of censoring it since that's the equivalent of giving the finger in some places.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I don't think "crap" was ever a full-on cuss word so much as it was one of those words that kids weren't allowed to say... kind of like "fart", or the actual names for certain body parts.

EDIT: Ziffeled.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I don't think "crap" was ever a full-on cuss word so much as it was one of those words that kids weren't allowed to say... kind of like "fart", or the actual names for certain body parts.
Officially it somehow is. You can get away with fart now. Bathroom humor has rapidly turned fart from an inappropriate word to something pretty commonplace. But Crap was let out of the bag, someone complained, and it was noticeably shoved back in. And thus the replacement word for the replacement word "crud" which isn't satisfying at all to say.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Some attempts to censor cuss words can be hysterical. A few memorable examples to me:

Smokey and the Bandit- Jackie Gleason's character calling Burt Reynolds a "Scumbum", made even more funnier since the dubbed-in voice sounds nothing like Gleason's.

Convoy- Kris Kristofferson's reply to a stupid request... "BULLSQUASH!!!"

And in the final scene of the tv-friendly version of Caddyshack, Rodney Dangerfield inviting the crowd, "Hey everybody! LET'S TAKE A SHOWER!!!" and the crowd erupts in cheers. (Clean way for getting shagged).

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Here I go again, and before I get started, I just want to make a point clear to people like Sarge that this is NOT one of those, "D00d! DVD sux! U neeeeedz 2 get bluray! Ur a ***** 4 not getting bluray!" remarks that so many people are in the mindset of...

But anyway... HOW and WHY is it that the first TWO seasons of REGULAR SHOW are already on Blu-ray? Again, HOW and WHY are these shows (again, like ADVENTURE TIME) getting season sets released on DVD so quickly when it took YEARS and YEARS and YEARS and YEARS to get DVD releases of other Cartoon Network shows from years past? It was like six years before we ever got just a compilation set of ED, EDD N EDDY (one of their more popular shows back then), then another year or two before they would give us season sets, and now they've just left us hanging after they released Season Two, when there's still three and a partial season left, plus the grand finale. Dexter. Dexter was like CN's first really big hit, so much in fact, they brought it back after it originally ended, and it's only been within the last two or three years Season One was released as part of the Cartoon Network Hall of Fame umbrella, along with the first seasons of JOHNNY BRAVO and COURAGE THE COWARDLY DOG, and even THOSE they stopped working on, and instead, the CN Hall of Fame is now a series of sets containing four or five episodes from five different CN shows, even bad ones like KND and Foster's.

Drtooth

Reaction score
It's true Regular Show and Adventure Time are on DVD and Blu-Ray in season sets... you know how angry the fanbase got until they stopped releasing kiddy single disks? They still release single disk kiddy sets even with the season sets. Heck, they didn't even continue MAD after the first season, releasing 6 episodes worth of footage per single disk. The real question is, back when they were releasing the PPG single DVD's, how come they weren't releasing Dexter's Lab along side it? Ego Trip only got a VHS release, the tail end of the VHS's relevance. And that's the lucky one. Johnny Bravo, Cow and Chicken... none of them got any home video releases that weren't compilations at the height of their popularity.

There's no doubt that they screwed up the CN classics DVD sets. Johnny Bravo had all these special features that were just lying around, and they managed to get some of the original writers, including Butch Hartman, who's busy with cartoon shows of his own now. The Dexter set had no special features and was heavily censored. They pretty much invited no one to buy them. That cost them quite a bit, and they haven't released any of them since... never mind the other currentish CN toons only got one or 2 seasons before they stopped caring. Chowder and Flapjack only got the kiddy single disk treatment.

Personally, I'm just glad some CN show that wasn't DC comics related gets a season set that shows the barest amount of care.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
DOOOD! G3T BLOOORAY!!1111 DVD SVCKSSS!!!! :stick_out_tongue:
(seriously, you gotta be reading too far into what you're saying to get that its complaining about blu rays :/)

But really, most of these shows seem to be available on itunes. This seems to be more like the case of "everyone downloads things so why waste money putting out dvds of old shows no one cares about when we can cash in on shows that are popular."

I'm not holding my breath for an actual Doug release, although I am trying to hold out hope for season 3 of Danny Phantom (I just hope its a good release, and not the disaster that was season 2).

The PPG box set is probably the best and only full series box sets CN is gonna give us. Even then it seemed thrown together.