When you need to rant...

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
I don;'t believe in taking kids under the age of 5 to the movies. That's what home video is for. If the kid wants to keep asking "Mommy, who's that? who's that?" do it in the comfort of you own home without disturbing anyone.

Invariably, there will always be some stupid kid asking who someone is. Sigh... I really wish they'd bring the adult animated movie back.
Even if they did bring back adult animated movies (and I hope they would, too), you'd still have to deal with the parents that bring toddlers to the movies, regardless of content, with the belief animation=kidvid.

Back in 1978, they released "Watership Down", one of the most beautifully-drawn features ever. But based on a serious novel by Richard Adams, this was no perky Disney flick. The cast was talking rabbits (with very thick British accents), so parents must've equated it with kid-friendly Disney fare. Boy, were they in for a shock when a few of the cute widdle bunnies get violently killed off. (You think kids were upset over Mufasa's death in The Lion King? That was TAME compared to this!) Now parents have traumatized little rugrats. Way to go.

I was ten when I saw this, but I was primed for it. Earlier in 5th grade we got to see George Halas' adaptation of "Animal Farm", and knew the subject matter was going to be beyond the normal Saturday-morning kiddie fare.

As long as parents are unable to judge the difference between "Baby Einstein" and "Fritz the Cat", and what might be appropriate for little Caitlinashleyjennifer, the dliemna still exists.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Back in 1978, they released "Watership Down", one of the most beautifully-drawn features ever. But based on a serious novel by Richard Adams, this was no perky Disney flick. The cast was talking rabbits (with very thick British accents), so parents must've equated it with kid-friendly Disney fare. Boy, were they in for a shock when a few of the cute widdle bunnies get violently killed off. (You think kids were upset over Mufasa's death in The Lion King? That was TAME compared to this!) Now parents have traumatized little rugrats. Way to go.
I'm completely and utterly baffled why that does constitute as a family movie. Yes. Some places consider it one. It's a freakin' animal snuff film. I refuse to watch it in its entirety ever again. Even a clip. I like dark and depressing, but only when it has a layer of fun (or at least action adventure) to it. That movie is just dismal and soul destroying.

As long as parents are unable to judge the difference between "Baby Einstein" and "Fritz the Cat", and what might be appropriate for little Caitlinashleyjennifer, the dliemna still exists.
Well, Fritz was shown only at X-rated theaters back then.

But adult animated films like Triplets of Belleville or Persepolis... something with adult subject matter that isn't just sex.

Though I'd love to see the animated Golgo 13 movies on the big screen. Sex and violence, a favorite of overwrought Japanese Salary men.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I just saw Despicable Me 2, and props to the kids in the audience. They spoke not a word, except for mimicking the "Be-Do, Be-Do, Be-Do." And that was kinda cute.

Though I'd love to rant about the horrid trailer for Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2. But that's another thread for another day.

I'll b***h about it in the Box Office Thread.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
TV channels take shows off for a while, put them back on, take them off again, put them back on again... it's cyclicle.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Why do they take Fraggle Rock off the hub??? Tell me please!!!!
You realize it's back, right? And it even had a couple episodes on their On Demand page. Saw one at a friend's house Fourth of July.

That said, know what they have on the network now? Tiny Toon Adventures. Didn't even hear an announcement. You just can't be very angry at the Hub long.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
I don't know if it's the same user each time, but someone on YT constantly uploads, like, the entire series of kids shows and throws in every possible tag possible, including Muppets, so I'm really annoyed how I have to weave through all that to find any actual new Muppet vids.

AquaGGR

Reaction score
What is up with Windows Live Movie Maker? It's almost a complete downgrade from the original Windows Movie Maker, and it assumes that you only use video editing programs to make generic slideshows of a family vacation. Also it constantly freezes and takes forever to render (using default settings). Worst of all, it completely removed the timeline (which is the most important part of video editing programs) and replaced it with some sort of drag-and-drop box that's a pain to use.
Windows Live Movie Maker comes pre-installed with Windows 7 computers, I recommend downloading the original Windows Movie Maker 2.6 instead, or getting a different video editing program like Adobe Premiere or Sony Vegas Pro.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
2.6 isn't available for download anymore, you have to settle for 6.0 (if THAT is even still available), it's far superior to 2.6, you get a better selection of transitions, effects, titles... the only downfall is that the color of the titles, effects, animations, etc. are messed up when you export/publish the file, by putting far too much red in the hue (yellows look orange, orange look red, dark blues looks almost purplish, etc.)

There's only two things that Movie Maker (that's what the latest version is now called, they dropped "Windows Live") has going for it: one, you don't have the problems previously mentioned about the colors of the effects, and two, you can actually import a little wider variety of file types you couldn't with previous versions, such as MP4s.

EDIT: I actually tried Adobe Premier once... I honestly could not figure the dang thing out, that is one of the most complicated and super-confusing video programs I've ever seen.