When you need to rant...

mr3urious

Reaction score
Even though Miley is trying too hard to shed her wholesome Disney image, I think she should be able to do adult things now that she is one. Like Beavis & Butt-head, she is not a role model, people! :grr:

But suffice to say, I'm over the moon happy that Disney's decided to focus on Phineas and Ferb, Marvel cartoon shows, Gravity Falls, and Wonder over Yonder than any of their carbon copy lame 90's style sitcoms.
Not to mention Ashley Tisdale does voice work for P&F. A very smart move for her, if I do say so myself. :smile:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Then of course, there was Selena Gomez recently, who showed up wearing a floor-length dress that had the bust area that looked more like a Victoria's Secret item, that had people's heads turning (and a lot of sarcastic comments that Biebs wants that).

But as for Miley, again, she's been doing stuff like this since 2008 (remember the whole pole dancing on top of the ice cream cart stunt?), so it amazes me that people are still getting all worked up, instead of just brushing it off like they do with Lindsay Lohan or Amanda Bynes.

Interestingly enough, apparently both Billy Ray AND Robin Thicke's (whoever the heck that is) mother are actually proud of her.

Drtooth

Reaction score
But as for Miley, again, she's been doing stuff like this since 2008 (remember the whole pole dancing on top of the ice cream cart stunt?), so it amazes me that people are still getting all worked up, instead of just brushing it off like they do with Lindsay Lohan or Amanda Bynes.
Unlike Lindsay and Bynes, she doesn't really have a severe problem. Not that she doesn't have problems, but her rebelliousness is clearly preconcieved. Lohan got in with the wrong crowd, and Bynes is (and I am not joking here) clinically insane. Miley only acts out because A) Disney is heavy handed and duplicitous with contractual purity (South Park pointed that out pretty well), and she's finally free from that and B) she really, really doesn't want to have that lousy show hang over her head. That sort of thing happened to Bella Legousi and Adam West, among others. Taking things a bit too far? Absolutely.

Interestingly enough, apparently both Billy Ray AND Robin Thicke's (whoever the heck that is) mother are actually proud of her.[/quote]

Robin Thicke is the son of Allen Thicke.

misspiggy5260

Reaction score
I HAVE A RANT.

I hate it when people think that your too young for things that you do and don't have a problem with

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Interestingly enough, apparently both Billy Ray AND Robin Thicke's (whoever the heck that is) mother are actually proud of her.
If I was her mother I'd be proud of her, but I'd also say "Gee honey, it's a shame you have to humiliate yourself like this in order to stay relevant. Are you sure it's worth it?"

Drtooth

Reaction score
If I was her mother I'd be proud of her, but I'd also say "Gee honey, it's a shame you have to humiliate yourself like this in order to stay relevant. Are you sure it's worth it?"
It's not like anyone ever did it before. She's humiliating herself so people will forget that lame TV show. Something tells me she feels that's the reason she hasn't been successful breaking into film. The reality being she's not that great an actor, and she chose terrible projects, quite obviously. Still, it's a heck of a thing to have one role define you. Mark Hammil had the right idea. Go into voice work. Now, he's almost more associated with The Joker than he is as Luke Skywalker. Funny thing is, his first big gig WAS a voice actor on a crappy I Dream of Jeannie cartoon.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
It's not like anyone ever did it before. She's humiliating herself so people will forget that lame TV show. Something tells me she feels that's the reason she hasn't been successful breaking into film. The reality being she's not that great an actor, and she chose terrible projects, quite obviously. Still, it's a heck of a thing to have one role define you. Mark Hammil had the right idea. Go into voice work. Now, he's almost more associated with The Joker than he is as Luke Skywalker. Funny thing is, his first big gig WAS a voice actor on a crappy I Dream of Jeannie cartoon.
He also did some voice acting for that Wizards movie, I think it was the same time as Star Wars. And we could see in Muppet Show that he was good with voices. So yeah he was right to keep his options open and not just hope another leading role would come his way. Not saying Cyrus should definitely do voice work, not everyone can, but she would be wise to reinvent herself in some way instead of clinging to teeny bopper fame. The time will very quickly come where she's older and just not cute anymore.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Distancing yourself from a childhood role has always been a challenge. Sometimes you have to let years, or decades pass before being accepted for something different from the image your childhood had you cast in. Rick Schroeder had to let almost 30 years go by to get the "Silver Spoons" image out of his system, and be accepted as a legitimate actor, not just a former child star.

I can also admire (from a distance) Miley trying to smear her squeaky-clean image.
Bob Saget did the same in recent years to show there's more to him than "Full House" would allow, with his X-rated stand-up.

Should Miley have just laid low for a while, maybe stay out of the spotlight for a little bit, and then try to recast herself in a more mature way? Did her VMA stunt undermine any chance of being taken seriously in the future? Time will tell.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Funny thing about Bob is, his humor was always kinda raunchy. Even before Full House. I hate when no one can separate the actor from the role. And not in that funny way when you just can't see someone not as a certain role... I mean, when I see John Lithgow in a serious role yelling, my mind just automatically goes to Dick Solomon overreacting about something. I'm talking about having one squeaky clean role that has to define an actor, even after the actor did some pretty adult things.

I'll say this. I'm glad Turbo was so under the radar that no one whined about Snoop Dogg voicing a kid's character. Remember the B.S. we had to go through when overly offended groups whined about a Snoop Dogg Cameo in VMX?

I absolutely hate the term role model. Especially how the term is used. Sports stars are heroes because they play sports. Musicians are role models because they sing a song. It's not about their perseverance or following their dreams... it's that they're famous and kids want to be famous (everyone does, actually) and parents then cast these athletes and celebrities in a role that if they screw up and do something human, they're the worst people who ever lived. There's a difference between being inspired by the success of someone and wanting to follow up on a dream based on it and blindly worshiping celebrity and basing their life on their teachings.

charlietheowl

Reaction score
I absolutely hate the term role model. Especially how the term is used. Sports stars are heroes because they play sports. Musicians are role models because they sing a song. It's not about their perseverance or following their dreams... it's that they're famous and kids want to be famous (everyone does, actually) and parents then cast these athletes and celebrities in a role that if they screw up and do something human, they're the worst people who ever lived. There's a difference between being inspired by the success of someone and wanting to follow up on a dream based on it and blindly worshiping celebrity and basing their life on their teachings.
Charles Barkley put it best.