When you need to rant...

AquaGGR

Reaction score
fuzzygobo said:
Bob Saget did the same in recent years to show there's more to him than "Full House" would allow, with his X-rated stand-up.
That's why it's incredibly weird when Flanders says "When I need a laugh I'll take Bob Saget, thank you very much!" in the Simpsons episode "Viva Ned Flanders".

D'Snowth

Reaction score
People used to like Bieber because his was one of those Cinderella, rags-to-riches stories: he was born out of wedlock to a trailer trash mother who got knocked up as a teenager, they practically lived in poverty, yet he loved to sing, so his mother posted videos of him singing on YouTube, Usher discovered him and signed him onto his label, then he became an overnight teen idol, and now that he's legally an adult he's doing all of this crazy bat stuff because he knows he can now get away with it.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Funny thing about Bob is, his humor was always kinda raunchy. Even before Full House. I hate when no one can separate the actor from the role. And not in that funny way when you just can't see someone not as a certain role... I mean, when I see John Lithgow in a serious role yelling, my mind just automatically goes to Dick Solomon overreacting about something. I'm talking about having one squeaky clean role that has to define an actor, even after the actor did some pretty adult things.

I'll say this. I'm glad Turbo was so under the radar that no one whined about Snoop Dogg voicing a kid's character. Remember the B.S. we had to go through when overly offended groups whined about a Snoop Dogg Cameo in VMX?

I absolutely hate the term role model. Especially how the term is used. Sports stars are heroes because they play sports. Musicians are role models because they sing a song. It's not about their perseverance or following their dreams... it's that they're famous and kids want to be famous (everyone does, actually) and parents then cast these athletes and celebrities in a role that if they screw up and do something human, they're the worst people who ever lived. There's a difference between being inspired by the success of someone and wanting to follow up on a dream based on it and blindly worshiping celebrity and basing their life on their teachings.
As George Carlin once put it so succintly,

"If your kid needs a role model, and you ain't it, you're BOTH screwed!"

Drtooth

Reaction score
There's a huge difference between being famous and being successful. A lot of people are famous for doing some pretty negative things. You can struggle all your life to be famous (or have it fall in your lap), and it's true, everybody has their "15 minutes of fame", but after your fame, what do you have to show for it?
That's a very poignant statement. Jim was both famous and successful, and the success lead to fame. But he worked pretty hard for it. Fame and Infamy are 2 different things. There are those who struggle to get something positive or creative out there and then there are those that act like schmucks in front of a camera to get noticed. Those who usually are successful in bringing something forth have to pay their dues somewhere... every single Cartoon Network original show is created by someone who worked as a storyboard artist or something on a previous one. Pen Ward and J.G. Quintel both worked on Flapjack before their respective shows... even Seth MacFarline got his start on Johnny Bravo and Dexter (arguably his better work). Unfortunately, that is a tough road. more people would like to just act like a dimwit on camera.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I hate to sound like a jerk about this, but this annoys the crap out of me.

I understand there are some great fan fic works out there, and clever crossovers in both artwork and fan fic.

Now the rant part.

In one of the DA groups I was invited to and for some reason accepted, and there are these fan fics which, I swear, are the written equivalent of those terrible "Pooh's Adventures of [pre-existing movie that has no reason for Pooh to be spliced in]" Youtube videos. Essentially taking unrelated characters that have no reason to go together and dumping them into a pre-existing movie that worked fine without them. My question...

How the shell is that creative? Taking loads of characters and having them barely interact in a story that was already done? It's like the only reason to do any of these things is to say "I like these characters so much that I want them all to be together really really badly."

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I recommend Sony Vegas, it's like a less confusing and simpler version of Adobe Premiere, and it's one of the only editing programs that doesn't assume all you make are slideshows and family vacation videos.
Well this was a waste of time: I decided to download a trial of Sony Vegas to give it a try, and that's all that I could do - I could DOWNLOAD the trial, BUT, they still wanted me to PAY to actually USE it. :stick_out_tongue:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Well, unless CNet or download.com have, I downloaded the trial direct from Sony's site.