When you need to rant...

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
Oh great...I just gave a bad name to good demons everywhere

Drtooth

Reaction score
Except when Lucas or Bay are in charge of a film apparently. But since those characters are no sane person's favorites perhaps we are getting better, lol.
Lucas was always slightly racist, even when the first Star Wars was named Luke Starkiller something or other. The difference is, he willfully worked well with others who suggested different concepts that swayed him off those. C3-PO was dangerously close to being Watto. Too bad he became a perfectionist surrounded by Yesmen. All the best concepts in the original Star Wars trilogy weren't even his.

Bay's just terrible.

Wait... I said FAVORITE cartoon characters. Anyone like those guys either one created?

But seriously. That episode of Tiny Toons "Fields of Honey" was full of crap. The cartoons weren't funny, and Honey was basically a personality devoid Bosco clone. Fleischer Studios ruled the 1930's. Everyone else was making meh stuff. The 1940's where when cartoons REALLY got good.

I always said there was no such thing as nonconformity. You may think you are trying to rebel against what society is throwing at you, but you are still conforming to yet another group's expectations.
There is a true non-conformity. It has something to do with being completely rejected from society and having no friends. It leads to great depression and later going completely insane. I'd rather just stick to similar aspects of a counter culture. It's not true non-conformity, but it's still rejecting what you're supposed to be.

But that's the great thing about progress. People are more open to people different than them. 1950's, they'd call you a juvenile delinquent and some panties in a bunch tool would burn and ban your EC comics.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Bay's just terrible.
I swear, I don't know if it's him, or his writers, or both, but someone there has the most low class, hideous sense of humor it has ever been my displeasure to experience, lol. Or at the very least, they think that's what their audience is like. I know there was a writer's strike and that can make things difficult, the same thing happened with Star Trek V, whose humor is also pretty sub par. But Star Trek V never gotten to the unspeakable depths of a Bay film. Congrats guys, you made Star Trek V look good! :stick_out_tongue:

Wait... I said FAVORITE cartoon characters. Anyone like those guys either one created?
I think if anyone did they're in a very tiny minority. I know those films made a lot of money, but I doubt it was because of those characters.

There is a true non-conformity. It has something to do with being completely rejected from society and having no friends. It leads to great depression and later going completely insane.
Yeah this is the dirty little secret about conformity/nonconformity that we don't like to talk about. True nonconformity should in theory leave a person bitter and angry and miserable, even if they're absolutely in the right. In Philosophy class we talked about the difference between living comfortably (conforming with society, having money, friends etc) and living well (suffering but being a good person).

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
There was a recent study that shows 99% of American households have at least one television. The same study shows only 97% of American households have indoor plumbing. That's a good summation of our society-
Too much crap coming in, not enough crap going out. :smile:

Drtooth

Reaction score
I swear, I don't know if it's him, or his writers, or both, but someone there has the most low class, hideous sense of humor it has ever been my displeasure to experience, lol. Or at the very least, they think that's what their audience is like.
I say this all the time. Bay is only different from Uwe Bowl in box office numbers and Hollywood pull. They both have an Inspector Gadget/Hong Kong Phooey level of oblivious egotism. I'd like to see Bay do a movie with Mathew McCouneghey. That would be so awful, it would be weaponized.

I think if anyone did they're in a very tiny minority. I know those films made a lot of money, but I doubt it was because of those characters.
Yeah, vs. the 30's where they had such a vague concept of humor in their cartoons that they had to do blackface and various racist bits... the untalented ones, anyway, to sell a character. And in the end, none of them are really that funny. But that's unfair, since we know that Bugs Bunny and Daffy Duck exist now.

Yeah this is the dirty little secret about conformity/nonconformity that we don't like to talk about. True nonconformity should in theory leave a person bitter and angry and miserable, even if they're absolutely in the right. In Philosophy class we talked about the difference between living comfortably (conforming with society, having money, friends etc) and living well (suffering but being a good person).
Pure conformity is when you lose the essence of what you want to be. That's what the 1950's were like. If you strayed too far from the norm, you were automatically suspicious or a J.D. Because, like I said, people love to whitewash the unmitigated fear that swept the nation at the time.

No one wants to be a misfit among misfits. It's very lonely, it's depressing... and it doesn't end well for those who are that side of society. no one wants to be that kind of non-conformist.

KingR76

Reaction score
At the moment I am beyond fuming. my financial situation isnt exactly how it could be and I wish it were better - what with this that and the other.

Tomorrow, I'm going to be meeting Kermit the Frog, a Dream of mine, a BIG Dream of mine that I've wanted to happen all my life and I thought I'd never experience.

And then, a discussion about buying an Autograph that I can't afford at the moment led to the other person saying:

"You're spending money on a guy sticking a hand up a Muppets a**"

There are no words that even come close to say how that made me almost flip out. I can take a lot of stuff, heck knows I can but insulting my first ever Fandom AND the Muppets?

I need to cool down, really cool down.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
And then, a discussion about buying an Autograph that I can't afford at the moment led to the other person saying:
I think it's selfish how some people charge for their autographs... I don't know if it's to discourage people from asking for them, or if they figure some people actually would pay through the nose for one... either way, I just don't think it's right; autographs should be free. Besides, most of celebs are rich enough anyway, what do they need to squeeze extra cash out of their fans for anyway?

charlietheowl

Reaction score

"You're spending money on a guy sticking a hand up a Muppets a**"
Ouch. That's a very crude thing to say regardless of whatever the circumstances. I don't blame you for getting mad.

KingR76

Reaction score
I think it's selfish how some people charge for their autographs... I don't know if it's to discourage people from asking for them, or if they figure some people actually would pay through the nose for one... either way, I just don't think it's right; autographs should be free. Besides, most of celebs are rich enough anyway, what do they need to squeeze extra cash out of their fans for anyway?
This is someone I know who has an Autograph I was interested in buying off him, but due to my financial situation I cant commit to buy it at the moment. I then had to listen to what a terrible person I was for backing out of the agreement because its not as though I owe money to more people than I can even think about.

Heck, I cant afford to pay the delivery charge for my new Fridge Freezer until next week, the credit card company are harrassing me with phone calls yadda yadda yadda. My financial situation is nothing to do with this person I know he doesn't understand what it is but the ULTIMATE insult came from what he said about the Muppets.