When you outgrew Sesame Street...

• Thread starter Philo and Gunge
  • Start date
P

Philo and Gunge

The name says it all, so I'll tell you what happened recently with me and being too old for SS:

My mom never let's me buy any SS stuff. Once again, at FYE once I wanted "Put Down The Duckie" but my mom didn't let me because I'm "too old for Sesame Street", she let me buy the Out Of This World program forcryingoutloud! She wouldn't even let me buy it with my own money! And one day...

Her: "GIVE ME SOMETHING [my brother] WILL ENJOY! (she looks up at my DVD's) "Elmo's Musical Adventure"? What's this doing in your room?" And you know the rest.

What did your parents do when you were too old for Sesame?

Ryan

Reaction score
Well, my parents are really accepting of it. Sure they find it a little odd that I'm still into it, but they know I want to make a career out of puppetry, so they don't mind.

BlueFrackle

Reaction score
Guys,

Its a shame. My Parents know its Puppetry and that its Henson related. But to tell you the truth, Why would they need to be worried?

If you enjoy watching something, Dont let no one stop you. To be honest, Its pier pressure from your parents... Which isnt nice.

*shrug*

Ryan

Reaction score
Warrick said:
Its a shame. My Parents know its Puppetry and that its Henson related. But to tell you the truth, Why would they need to be worried?

If you enjoy watching something, Dont let no one stop you. To be honest, Its pier pressure from your parents... Which isnt nice.

*shrug*
Ditto!! :smile:

P

Philo and Gunge

Warrick said:

*shrug*
My mom dosn't mind me watching SS, she just won't let me buy SS stuff or keep any in my room (I hid my SS tapes in the closet), that's it.

My friends don't mind that I watch SS (My friend, not the crazy one that made "Lampy", said that when he watched it when he was little he didn't like it). We had an interesting conversation about what happened to the 1969 puppets on the way back from a Boy Scout canoe trip.

AndyWan Kenobi

Reaction score
I've never gotten "too old" for it, especially as far as my parents are concerned. I'm 26 and wearing a Bert shirt that my mom just gave me (early) for my birthday. I remember when kids (7 or 8) would tease people for still liking Sesame Street, though.

Crazy31088

Reaction score
No one really seemed to care...I was weird in a lot of other ways that me liking Sesame Street really seemed miniscule.

My parents know and understand the sense of humor on SS that I really love, so they never really batted an eye over it.

ssetta

Reaction score
Well, I do know you're feeling. When I was in school, especially middle school, I got teased an awful lot. It does not bother my parents that I watch Sesame Street, however, it did bother my old psychologist. He says that "we need to find a show that's more 'age-appropriate', because people this age are NOT watching that show." He also said that people my age are interested in programs like Discovery and National Geographic, but I don't think so! It really hurt me when he said that. But he said that we don't need to eliminate it altogether, but cut back on it. See, not only was I watching Sesame Street, but back when it was on, I would watch it like 3 or 4 times a day, and not be getting my homework done. So I take it a lot of people have been through this.

Pug Lover

Reaction score
When I reached the first grade in school at age seven,my mom and I had come to an agreement that I was past the Sesame Street stage.And I haven't tuned into the show on a regular basis since.However I still have fond memories of the show.I currently have a friend who likes to share Sesame Street stories with me.And I enjoy that.I even taped Christmas Eve On Sesame Street when it was seen on TV two years ago,and added it to my ever expanding video library. :stick_out_tongue: :frown:

Crazy31088

Reaction score
Pug Lover said:
When I reached the first grade in school at age seven,my mom and I had come to an agreement that I was past the Sesame Street stage.And I haven't tuned into the show on a regular basis since.However I still have fond memories of the show.I currently have a friend who likes to share Sesame Street stories with me.And I enjoy that.I even taped Christmas Eve On Sesame Street when it was seen on TV two years ago,and added it to my ever expanding video library. :stick_out_tongue: :frown:

It was on two years ago????!!!! I haven't seen it on since maybe 1990!