1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

When you outgrew Sesame Street...

Discussion in 'Classic Sesame Street' started by Philo and Gunge, Jan 1, 2004.

1. The name says it all, so I'll tell you what happened recently with me and being too old for SS:

My mom never let's me buy any SS stuff. Once again, at FYE once I wanted "Put Down The Duckie" but my mom didn't let me because I'm "too old for Sesame Street", she let me buy the Out Of This World program forcryingoutloud! She wouldn't even let me buy it with my own money! And one day...

Her: "GIVE ME SOMETHING [my brother] WILL ENJOY! (she looks up at my DVD's) "Elmo's Musical Adventure"? What's this doing in your room?" And you know the rest.

What did your parents do when you were too old for Sesame?
  2. Ryan New Member

Well, my parents are really accepting of it. Sure they find it a little odd that I'm still into it, but they know I want to make a career out of puppetry, so they don't mind.
  3. BlueFrackle Active Member

Guys,

Its a shame. My Parents know its Puppetry and that its Henson related. But to tell you the truth, Why would they need to be worried?

If you enjoy watching something, Dont let no one stop you. To be honest, Its pier pressure from your parents... Which isnt nice.

*shrug*
  4. Ryan New Member

Ditto!! :)
  5. My mom dosn't mind me watching SS, she just won't let me buy SS stuff or keep any in my room (I hid my SS tapes in the closet), that's it.

My friends don't mind that I watch SS (My friend, not the crazy one that made "Lampy", said that when he watched it when he was little he didn't like it). We had an interesting conversation about what happened to the 1969 puppets on the way back from a Boy Scout canoe trip.
  6. AndyWan Kenobi Active Member

I've never gotten "too old" for it, especially as far as my parents are concerned. I'm 26 and wearing a Bert shirt that my mom just gave me (early) for my birthday. I remember when kids (7 or 8) would tease people for still liking Sesame Street, though.
  7. Crazy31088 Member

No one really seemed to care...I was weird in a lot of other ways that me liking Sesame Street really seemed miniscule.

My parents know and understand the sense of humor on SS that I really love, so they never really batted an eye over it.
  8. ssetta Active Member

Well, I do know you're feeling. When I was in school, especially middle school, I got teased an awful lot. It does not bother my parents that I watch Sesame Street, however, it did bother my old psychologist. He says that "we need to find a show that's more 'age-appropriate', because people this age are NOT watching that show." He also said that people my age are interested in programs like Discovery and National Geographic, but I don't think so! It really hurt me when he said that. But he said that we don't need to eliminate it altogether, but cut back on it. See, not only was I watching Sesame Street, but back when it was on, I would watch it like 3 or 4 times a day, and not be getting my homework done. So I take it a lot of people have been through this.
  9. Pug Lover New Member

When I reached the first grade in school at age seven,my mom and I had come to an agreement that I was past the Sesame Street stage.And I haven't tuned into the show on a regular basis since.However I still have fond memories of the show.I currently have a friend who likes to share Sesame Street stories with me.And I enjoy that.I even taped Christmas Eve On Sesame Street when it was seen on TV two years ago,and added it to my ever expanding video library. :p :(
  10. Crazy31088 Member

It was on two years ago????!!!! I haven't seen it on since maybe 1990!
  11. Erine81981 Active Member

My parents think its ok but when I mention I want to buy stuff off ebay or trade stuff w/ ya'll they think its not the end of the world if u don't record anything for them. They don't care its jut money wise as in I don't need to buy alot of stuff w/ my money and I wouldn't be broke but most the time I'm not its not really ebay that I get broke from its spending it on food as in just ordering out alot or buying stuff that they think I don't need. Its like for christmas my dad said "Ur just hard to buy for." and I said sorry and he then said "I'm sorry." don't recall why he said that. Its almost like he meant we shouldn't have introduce u to the muppets. Thats how it came out to me.
  12. ssetta Active Member

Ah, so she actually didn't let you watch Sesame Street anymore?
  13. Pug Lover New Member

Not quite.I just recall looking at the toys in the yearly Christmas catalogue of that year,and suggesting certain Sesame Street related toys.My mom kindly told me that I was getting too old for Sesame Street toys.That was when we agreed that I was beyond the so called Sesame Street stage.As I recall,I had stopped watching it regularly by that time anyway.
  14. Not to dig up an old topic but...

This morning I was taping #4031 (I have been waiting for this episode for a long time!) when my mom came into my room and said "Your scaring me with this Sesame Street nonscene, your getting too old for it!".

So, she's about 90% agianted me watching SS. In the Henson company I can buy stuff from all productions except:
    Sesame Street
    BITBBH
    Muppet Babies (I think she would)

She could care less about it being Henson related, but she dosn't mind my brother watching. In 2003, I got (SS related):
    Nanco Cookie Monster plush
    Muppet Magic from the Ed Sullivan Show
    Out of this World program

Boy, I just remembered the year my grandpa died :( For that Christmas he got me SS PVC's and the Sesame Street Unpaved Book.
  15. Don_Music_2004 New Member

Iv'e had problems with people throughout the years for still liking Sesame Street. I remember when I was in 3rd grade my school Library had a whole bunch of Sesame Street Magazines that went back as far as 1980. At the time it was 1990. Every week my Librariain would call out our names and what book we had out that week and we would walk up and give it to her then sit down. Well the time came for me to turn in my book and she said "Andrew, Sesame Street Magazine." and the whole class started laughing hysterically. I'll never forget how embarassed I was that day. Another time it was my 7th birthday and every year up until then I would get a Sesame Street charachter on my Birthday cake. That year I told my mom I wanted an Oscar Cake, and she told me I was too old for that, and getting too old for sesame street. I never really could understand why people make such a big deal about older kids watching Sesame Street and why so many people make fun of it. The way I see it, if you like it, and you enjoy it, and your'e not doing any harm to anyone by watching it, then letter B, I mean let it be. LOL! :) :) :) :)
  16. Drtooth Well-Known Member

I never outgrow Sesame Street... in fact the only thing close is Outgrowing having to see the same darn 26 episodes a million times... :p
  17. It is harming someone, my mom.
  18. ssetta Active Member

Well, maybe it's just because you're older, and your mom has that wierd opinion that, you know, you shouldn't really be doing stuff that you did when you were younger, you should be "Movin' On", like that song they use on Play With Me Sesame. Everyone in my family understands my interest, but my former psychiatrist said that he would rather me watch something more age-appropriate like Discovery or National Geographic.
  19. manoftheSTREET New Member

Speaking for myself, nobody has ever been bothered by my watching of the program. I'm 21 and I enjoy it more than when I was a kid, since I can pick up on pop-culture references, celebrity cameos and musical cues I wouldn't have otherwise.

Sincerely,

John "manoftheSTREET" Kilduff...

Well, there was this one teacher, but she had a couple of screws loose anyway.
  20. Dantecat Active Member

Hey Philo and Gunge,Is your Mom Mean? :concern: