When you outgrew Sesame Street...

• Thread starter Philo and Gunge
  • Start date

Pug Lover

Reaction score
Come to think of it,I've recently taped episodes of Mr.Rogers'Nieghborhood.Not to mention,I've got all kinds of kiddie shows in my VHS library.I can see where eveyone is coming from on this thread.Whether you're too old for stuff like Sesame Street or not is really up to you. :wink:

Dantecat

Reaction score
So Philo and Gunge,Does your Mom still say you're too old for Sesame Street???? :stick_out_tongue:

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'm more conserned that SS is becoming too YOUNG for me (Darn season 33... :stick_out_tongue: )

A lot of stuff I feel I appreciate more as an adult... especially 80's things like GArbage Pail Kids... Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles... Kinnikuman/M.U.S.C.L.E.S... That sort of thing. I mean, my favorite CD in my collection is Sesame Road...

Personally, I love watching the old specials and such... especially "Put Down the Duckie." The part at the end with McNeil (of the newshour) interviewing Cookie Monster... Cookie calling him "Mr. McLeher," and saying "Me not eat one cookie... NOT O-O-O-ONE that me tummy didn't order me to eat."

Heck... I feel Sesame Street is WASTED on kids! The psycological complexity of Ernie and Bert sketches... the well thought out pop culture satires... the intercret workings of certain puppets... I feel it's more facinating as an adult than it ever was as a kid!

mikebennidict

Reaction score
i think you might understand more things on SS when your past the target age.

P

Philo and Gunge

Dantecat said:
So Philo and Gunge,Does your Mom still say you're too old for Sesame Street???? :stick_out_tongue:
Nope, once when I was exiercizing she put on SS. I was shocked, she must have given up on here whole Sesame opinion with me still watching it.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Heh heh heeh that'll show her! You won the war, good chum.....

(for best results read post in Adam West voice!) :stick_out_tongue: :frown:

MJTaylor

Reaction score
That is a pain I know only too well!
ssetta said:
I do have Asperger's, which is kind of like autism, which may be a reason why I like Sesame Street so much
Well, I have something like that. I wouldn't call it autism, but I do remember having to go to a special school which was a really terrible place. And I think that the cruel way they treated me there really hurt my self-esteem. And it didn't help that Dad was an unsympethetic jerk who used to go crook at me for everything. So when people told me Sesame Street was a baby show and I should stop watching it, I took that very personally. Not only did my father do it but my brothers and cousins (All on my father's side) picked on me too. But now thanks largely to the internet where I discovered other adults that liked Sesame Street, I don't care what anyone thinks what they think anymore. I mean, we are talking about people who only speak the name of Jesus when they swear, and as a Christian, I object to that.

AndyWan Kenobi

Reaction score
MJTaylor said:
So when people told me Sesame Street was a baby show and I should stop watching it, I took that very personally. Not only did my father do it but my brothers and cousins (All on my father's side) picked on me too. But now thanks largely to the internet where I discovered other adults that liked Sesame Street, I don't care what anyone thinks what they think anymore.

Man oh man. I've said it before, probably, but I don't see any reason why people have to stop liking what they've always liked for the sake of "growing up." People deny themselves so much because they care what other people think. Isn't part of maturity knowing who you are and being comfortable with it no matter what? I have so much respect for everyone here, and anyone else in the world who can truly be himself/herself. Go you!!

mikebennidict

Reaction score
MJTaylor said:
That is a pain I know only too well!

Well, I have something like that. I wouldn't call it autism, but I do remember having to go to a special school which was a really terrible place. And I think that the cruel way they treated me there really hurt my self-esteem. And it didn't help that Dad was an unsympethetic jerk who used to go crook at me for everything. So when people told me Sesame Street was a baby show and I should stop watching it, I took that very personally. Not only did my father do it but my brothers and cousins (All on my father's side) picked on me too. But now thanks largely to the internet where I discovered other adults that liked Sesame Street, I don't care what anyone thinks what they think anymore. I mean, we are talking about people who only speak the name of Jesus when they swear, and as a Christian, I object to that.
it's too bad. i can understand why some people might think it's strange for people who are older to wach a kids show. i've often thought that myself even though i've done it a lot myself. even with SS and can relate to people who think it's strange. but people shouldn't put you down for it.