1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Save Muppet Central Radio
    Within days Muppet Central Radio could be off the air. Show your support and save the station by listening via Radionomy's website and apps. We're also on iTunes and Apple TV. Learn More

Where are all these classic Sesame Street episodes coming from?

Discussion in 'Classic Sesame Street' started by ssetta, Jan 13, 2016.

1. ssetta

ssetta Active Member

As some of you know, a lot of rare old episodes have been turning up lately. A bunch of episodes from Seasons 1, 10, 12, 20, and now Season 22. I have to say this is one of the greatest things that's ever happened. As a lot of our questions about the old days have been answered, and one of the episodes that recently turned up is one I've actually been searching for years. But there's one big question I have about all of this:

Where are all these episodes coming from????

Just wondering, because I know that the normal Sesame Workshop policy is that they do NOT send out tapes. So I'm wondering if maybe there's someone who works for the company or something. I do know of someone who claimed that he got all of episodes 1 - 3005, but promised that he would not distribute them. So I wonder if this is him, but I'm not sure.

The thing is, Why do you think that some episodes have seeped through and not others? For instance, we got about the first 15 episodes of Season 1, and then a bunch of scattered episodes throughout the season. We also have scattered episodes from season 10 and season 20, but the episodes we have from season 12 and season 22 are all right in order. And some of them have the Time Code reading on them and some don't. I noticed that it's the scattered ones that have the TCR. So I wonder if maybe they could even be from different sources, but I'm not sure.

So anyway, I really would like to know the source of these episodes, and who got access to the library. If anyone here knows anything about it, please let me know.

MikaelaMuppet likes this.
  2. Oscarfan

Oscarfan Well-Known Member

3. MuppetSpot

MuppetSpot Well-Known Member

Why ask just enjoy the rare content.

4. minor muppetz

minor muppetz Well-Known Member

There's an episode of Mister Ed where Wilbur says "when a miracle happens, you don't question it". We could take that advice for how we've gotten these recent episodes.

muppetgem likes this.
  5. Pig's Laundry

Pig's Laundry Well-Known Member

Speaking of recently discovered classics,here's a newly resurfaced season 1 episode.

6. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

Gosh, I remember that Swing on a Star song from an old Little Lulu cartoon from the 40s.

7. mr3urious

mr3urious Well-Known Member

More and more we're seeing all this old, long-considered-lost material spring up, even stuff that didn't air on the show proper. The days of solely having to rely on rapidly-deteriorating tapes are a thing of the past.

I'm still hoping for the unaired version of "Imgination" to pop up someday, or the Wicked Witch episode, or even Snuffy's parents' divorce! :)

8. sesamemuppetfan

sesamemuppetfan Well-Known Member

Where did you read about that? I remember someone once posting a thread demanding all of the first 3005 episodes (which I still to this day find quite ridiculous), but someone actually GOT A HOLD of all those episodes? Hmmm...

9. Pig's Laundry

The Wicked Witch episode and the divorce episode are high on my list. I also really want to see the season 7 episode where Big Bird runs for president and the introduction episodes of Linda, Olivia and Buffy.

10. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

Oh, where we actually see Ernie's nightmare about dark shadows, spooky things, and monsters? I've been curious about that as well. "Imagination" is certainly my absolute favorite Sesame moment; I already love it for what it is: Ernie having a legitimate reason for waking Bert, and Bert - while frustrated that Ernie woke him again - actually helping him overcome his feelings of fear by imagining something that he likes. However, I do wonder what the entire version would be like as whole: would actually experiencing Ernie's fear and seeing his nightmare add more emotion to the bit? Would it make Bert's resolution and Ernie's new dream of a balloon-covered street more powerful? The only way I could say for sure is to see it for myself.

11. fuzzygobo

fuzzygobo Well-Known Member

I'm still holding out for a few gems from Season One- English versions of songs like "Gone With the Wind", " Windy", and "Up Up and Away". The phantom poster (or not-so-phantom) has already shortened my Bucket List quite a bit, I can only be grateful for what we've been treated to so far.

Like Grandpa Joe says in the Willy Wonka movie, when Charlie brings home a loaf of bread to the impoverished family, " Who cares WHERE he got it. The important thing is HE GOT IT!"

And thank you for getting it. 8)

MikaelaMuppet and Katzi428 like this.
  12. minor muppetz

What stuff have we gotten that didn't even air on the show?

13. ssetta

ssetta Active Member

I would like to point out that I have been told that there will not be anymore episodes from this source. I'm not saying who I heard this from, but I got thinking ... I wonder if maybe someone actually hacked into the Sesame Workshop vault illegally. I know they obviously came from Sesame Workshop but I'm wondering who exactly got it from them. And I wonder if maybe the person getting the episodes got caught, and these are bootlegged episodes, and we shouldn't even be watching these episodes.

14. Katzi428

Katzi428 Well-Known Member

I don't think they're bootlegged. I saw some really old ones (including the test episode of SS) on You Tube.

15. cjd874

cjd874 Well-Known Member

Let's not forget the "Surprise" clip that so many fans have been talking about, with Big Bird, Grover, Mr. Hooper, Gordon, Maria, and others. If that ever surfaces, I will literally drop everything and watch it ten times in a row.

And while I also wondered where these classic episodes were coming from, after a while, I didn't really care, as long as the content kept popping up. So we should all enjoy it while it lasts.

If I recall, the season 2 sketch "Happiness is about looking up" with :p and :insatiable: didn't air on SS (but don't quote me on it for sure). It's now on Sesame Street's Youtube channel.

16. MuppetSpot

MuppetSpot Well-Known Member

Plus a lot of sketches are made but aren't put here on the US version like B&E bits.

MikaelaMuppet and Waiter Grover like this.
  17. minor muppetz

I know you said not to quote you on it, but just because Muppet Wiki doesn't have an EKA for a sketch doesn't mean it has never aired. There's hundreds of episodes the wiki has no pages on, probably just as many that are compiled by incomplete program guides.

18. JC Motors

JC Motors New Member

I've been noticing a lot of classic episodes showing up on YouTube randomly. I need to start showing my Niece these episodes

MikaelaMuppet and Phillip like this.
  19. mariolover

mariolover Active Member

They still might be bootlegged. The test episode of Sesame Street actually came from the Old School: Volume 2 DVD. And Episode 1 came from unpaved. None of these other rare episodes that surfaced have ever been released commercially. So I have a feeling that someone might have broke into SW's vault to get them.

20. Pig's Laundry

Well, I don't know about breaking into the vaults, but it might've been someone who works at the archives leaked the episodes because they knew SW had no intention of releasing them anytime soon. I'm pretty sure that's at least the case with those season 22 episodes that surfaced.