1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Christmas Music
    Our 17th annual Christmas Music Marathon is underway on Muppet Central Radio. Listen to the best Muppet Christmas music of all-time through December 25.

3. Sesame Street Season 48
    Sesame Street's 48th season officially began Saturday November 18 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

Where are the older humans?

Discussion in 'Sesame Street' started by ssetta, Feb 13, 2016.

1. Pig's Laundry

Pig's Laundry Well-Known Member

Honestly, I don't think i'll ever stop being mad that Leela and Mando are gone, especially since the latter only appeared for two seasons. Weather they left on their own or not, it's still sad. Actually, after basically all the cast members left I think that's when I began to appreciate Alan and Chris more, because they were the last familiar faces left. Nina, she's alright but she's not one of my favorites.

2. Pig's Laundry

I'd love to see them make a cameo during the 50th anniversary. I think they're probably recognisable enough, especially since both Ruth Buzzi and Savion Glover are well known outside of their SST appearances.

cahuenga likes this.
  3. cahuenga

cahuenga Active Member

I would love to see Susan Gordon and Bob as well!!!!

4. Schfifty

Schfifty Well-Known Member

Oh, definitely Petey for sure. Nothing like promoting classic breakdancing to today's preschoolers. ;)

It would be nice to see Ruthie make a special appearance again, although I don't know if she does much performing anymore. She's kinda up there.

5. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

What about Mike? He could be promoting poor eating habits to today's preschoolers!

Pig's Laundry likes this.
  6. Pig's Laundry

Eh, they probably get enough of that with Cookie Monster.

7. MikaelaMuppet

MikaelaMuppet Well-Known Member

Really nice to see Luis back again!

muppetgem likes this.
  8. BEAR 2

BEAR 2 Member

She's 81, no older than Bob is. She's up there but no reason to stop performing. Betty White, anyone?? But, of course, I think Betty is superhuman.

Seriously, though, I don't think she performs anymore other than voiceovers.

Censored likes this.
  9. jobi71

jobi71 Active Member

Betty White is super human. If you can find the clip of her on 30 Rock defying the "Rule of Three" it is amazing. I think what has most fans upset is not that they let these cast members go (they are older, there needs to be a curriculum we can maintain etc) So I think the main issue is we were never able to say good-bye to these beloved characters (on a show that did a good job of saying good-bye to characters and actors - Will Lee, Jerry Nelson). I feel that they did a disservice to themselves by having this happen all "off screen". I understand that an episode about these folks moving on may not have fit in with the direction the show was going, but how about Gordon and Susan are retiring in Yuma! And Luis is joining Maria in Puerto Rico (a hot potato I know), Bob is moving to Japan. Just give us some closure on these characters. It can happen in You Tube videos it does not to be within the show.

10. BEAR 2

BEAR 2 Member

I would have appreciated that too. Some sort of closure. They did that when Hooper died and they did that when David left the show. They said he was moving. Because these 5 have been major staples since day one (or almost day one), it would have been nice. I think the actors would have appreciated it too. I will admit, I got every emotional when I found out that they were leaving. I felty like half my family was moving away. I know that seems so stupid.

On a related note, I just wish that the humans were a little more prominent these days. Maybe it doesn't go with the style of what they want now, but there were many moments just between the human cast early on that were so great. It wasn't always about the Muppets. They took a secondary role to the human adults, which was fun for a change. For example, Maria and Luis getting married and the baby; the adoption of Miles; Olivia and David singing "It Feels Good When You Sing a Song"...I could go on. I just loved when they were in the spotlight too.

11. Censored

Censored Well-Known Member

No, the problem was that they let them go, period.

12. Censored

Censored Well-Known Member

Age is just a number. The issue should be the ability to perform one's job. They never fired Will Lee.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2017
    Katzi428 and LittleJerry92 like this.
  13. Pig's Laundry

Y'all, we've already established they weren't fired because of their age. First of all, Alison was let go and she's only in her forties. They were let go because (1. the show is focusing on less characters now so kids can have consistency and get acquainted with the main characters more easily (2. Bob McGrath said it was educators themselves who recommend cutting back on characters.

LittleJerry92 likes this.
  14. D'Snowth

[​IMG]
    HULK MAD1 HULK SMASH1 HULK NOT ACCEPT OLDER SST CASTMEMBERS BE FIRED! HULK SMASH SST!

muppetgem and LittleJerry92 like this.
  15. BEAR 2

BEAR 2 Member

Well, it's already happened and it's now old news at this point. We can still look back at the old stuff. I just hope we get something really great for the 50th anniversary and that all of them are included in whatever they choose to do to commemorate. It's interesting...all of the great milestone moments have involved Gordon, Susan, Maria, Luis, Bob and Gina (and of course Mr. Hooper). They don't do episodes like those anymore. I feel like the last thing we got like that was the hurricane episodes. And I hope they have something good planned.

16. BEAR 2

BEAR 2 Member

Also, wouldn't it be fun to see Linda make a visit? I always liked her.

cahuenga and Pig's Laundry like this.
  17. D'Snowth

When I met some of the castmembers at the Knoxville Fanboy Expo a couple of weeks ago, they each seemed to hint that the staff was already in the process of bouncing around ideas for that particular season; Bob even talked about the possibility of them making special live appearances, like some of those concerts they've done in the past and what have you.

18. BEAR 2

BEAR 2 Member

Or how about something along the lines of the Muppets at the Hollywood Bowl (doesn't have to be there), but with the Sesame Gang. Something live would be cool, but I'd love for there to be something recorded/filmed too, and that these people are used in a significant way. After all, they were huge in getting the show to 50.

19. jobi71

jobi71 Active Member

I want to clarify my comment. My main problem is that there was no official good-bye or send off. Others (and you are clearly passionate about this) may have different views. I did not intend to speak for all.

20. BEAR 2

BEAR 2 Member

Agree somewhat. I'm not sure how they would have done a send off for all of them at the exact same time. Also, so many great people on that show came and went. I suppose they couldn't do it for everyone. For all we know, Lillian may still live Around the Corner, or Olivia sings at Birdland every Friday night or Linda is still running that library. We just never see them on camera. This great handful that has stuck around for its entirety (48 years, and they are one of the reasons Sesame Street has endured because they built this community), it would be nice to salute them. Perhaps they will be able to get that when we hit the 50th mark. Really, they should all receive Lifetime Achievements, not just Carroll Spinney.