1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 48
    Sesame Street's 48th season officially began Saturday November 18 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

Where are the older humans?

Discussion in 'Sesame Street' started by ssetta, Feb 13, 2016.

1. Censored

Censored Well-Known Member

That's like saying it's ok for employers to racially discriminate as long as they're nice about it.

2. BEAR 2

BEAR 2 Member

Fair point. If I were fired from my job, it would be hard to come back the next day if I were asked to finish out the week. Still, I'm glad they are being included in the anniversary. I don't think it was a malicious dismissal. I mean, it sucked, but the Workshop understands and appreciates and knows how important they are to the legacy. Again just moving in a new direction, i guess. I dunno... I am surprised that they had Gordon go. He seemed to be the most prominant out of the originals at the end there. He was very active.

3. jobi71

jobi71 Active Member

I was not going to respond to this, but you are so far off the mark it is insulting. It is nothing like that. They had contracts. They chose not to renew the contracts. This happens all the time in every industry especially film and television. None of these performers were guaranteed jobs. It may have been shocking or disappointing to find these characters gone, but that is the business of show. Those there the longest generally make the most money. Do you protest when a corporate/government entity lets go of employees to cut payroll and hire new people at a lower rate? How exactly were all these characters going to fit into the new formula? There are dozens/hundreds of cases of characters being dropped from shows. I have never seen you speak up for them. I am very angry and offended with your comment, but I still respect your commitment to these performers, but how DARE you associate my post with racism. What an easy cop-out. You are despicable. (Respond if you want - I will never respond back).

Pig's Laundry likes this.
  4. Censored

If they were fired because of their age, it is the same as if someone is fired because of their race. It makes no difference HOW it's done. It's still bigotry and discrimination. That was my only point.

5. BEAR 2

BEAR 2 Member

Well, I have to say that is not quite the same thing, race and age in this situation. It's really not.

6. Censored

Of course it's not. Age discrimination is still more socially acceptable and it's done overtly. Race discrimination is frowned upon, so it's done covertly. Justifying discriminating against someone simply because they're elderly reminds me of how some justify gender discrimination. They might say, "Well, racism is one thing, but let's face it, men and women are different and there are certain jobs women should never be considered for." BALONEY! Find out what someone is capable of and qualified for before making a determination. The same goes for the elderly. Any opportunity that is limited because of what someone is instead of what someone can do is bigotry. Period.

7. BEAR 2

BEAR 2 Member

I don't believe any sort of descrimination is okay. Someone should be hired or fired based on their ability to do a job based on what the producers are looking for (I'm specifically referring to showbiz right now but it can really be applied to any job. It seems as though when they moved to HBO, a lot of change came with it. They cut back its cast. Maybe you could say they went younger but they kept Allen and let go Gina. Aren't they around the same age? Remember when they decided to get rid of Around the Corner? Half the cast went with it. That was just because they weren't needed anymore. I guess they just felt that way with the recent "let go". I just think it's sad because those folks are part of the fabric that created this legendary show. So it's disappointing. I don't know what kind of descrimination you'd call it. I think it's simply that they are revamping the whole concept of the show...like they did when Elmo became such a star and so many of the other core characters became secondary.

8. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

HBO has had nothing to do with the creative decisions of the show or whatever directions they are going in - all that HBO is air the show and provide financial stability; other than that, Sesame Workshop still makes all of the creative decisions themselves.

Unfortunately, in recent years, SW has brought on a lot of new employees that previously worked for Viacom, so there's a much more "corporate" approach to handling the show these days, hence many of the changes we've seen in recent years.

9. Censored

Be that as it may, I won't be subscribing to HBO anytime soon.

10. D'Snowth

Whatevs.

muppetgem likes this.
  11. muppetgem

muppetgem Well-Known Member

Unless I'm missing something, when has there ever been age discrimination on SS?

12. Pig's Laundry

Pig's Laundry Well-Known Member

There wasn't. Someone here just likes to argue.

cahuenga and muppetgem like this.
  13. BEAR 2

BEAR 2 Member

None at all.

cahuenga and muppetgem like this.
  14. LittleJerry92

LittleJerry92 Well-Known Member

Some people on this site are basically just here to be a pest and nothing more.

cahuenga likes this.
  15. LittleJerry92

Guess that explains why some clips have been going bye bye.

I have no respect for Viacom outside of the fact that they've taken down clips AND tried getting our personal information.

16. D'Snowth

I hadn't even considered that connection, but now that you mention, it kind of makes sense now: never caring about what we've uploaded over the years (heck, in addition to full episodes, I even had the full Big Bird's Birthday special uploaded at one point), then all of the sudden not only taking down content, but threatening us if we continue to do so? Yeah, it makes perfect sense now. . . .

17. LittleJerry92

I'm just waiting for the day Viacom tries to sue YouTube for a 4th time and threatens to have spies come and hack into their system until their 0.5 clips are taken down.

18. D'Snowth

I'm still a little sore that they dished out a copyright strike against me years ago for uploading a HEY ARNOLD! YouTube Poop, but then again, they don't seem to understand the concept of Fair Use.

But . . . I've also gotten copyright strikes from Twentieth Century Fox, Universal, and I think even Disney for YouTube Poops, so I guess nothing is sacred. I still maintain a lingering concern in the back of my mind that CBS will eventually nuke my one and only HOGAN'S HEROES/SST crossover poop.

19. Oscarfan

Oscarfan Well-Known Member

Yeah, no. I highly doubt it's any of the Viacom folks behind any recent takedowns. Remember back when they had tons of Sesame stuff removed? It's because of the Noggin logo, not the Sesame content.

As I said, they have every right to do this sort of thing; it's their material, not ours. It's not ideal and it's weird that they've been so lenient until now, but if they're seeing it as a problem, they have the authority to do so.

20. D'Snowth

True, but we're talking about how some of the new SW staff members are former Viacom employees, not the Viacom company itself.

You're right, it is their right, and they have been lenient until now, but I think @LittleJerry92 raises an interesting point as to why they're suddenly not so lenient with anybody anymore; like with any other business, ideals and attitudes change as the staff changes.