Where did Mahna Mahna come from?

sandipo

Reaction score
Hi
My name is Sandi and I am new to this website.
It's pretty cool:flirt:

My question is: At work we have been discussing where the song "Mahna Mahna" came from. I narrowed down to The Muppets.

Am I correct? If so, can you give me more info about this song and who sang it, etc.

Thanks.
Sandi in Kansas

Kimp the Shrimp

Reaction score
This first appeared on the Ed Sullivan show of all places, then on Sesame Street, and finally on the Muppet Show. Mahna Mahna is the name of the hipster, too. On Sullivan he appeared more like a normal person (meaning flesh toned) and wearing a striped turtleneck shirt.

If i'm not mistaken Jim Henson was Mahna Mahna all three times. not sure who the female pink whatnots where

MuppetQuilter

Reaction score
The song was not written for the Muppets. It was written by Peter Umiliani for an adult documentary in Sweden.

MeepBorkMeep

Reaction score
The pink whatnots were Frank Oz. Both. I think that makes it even more amazing, cause, you know, the Mahna Mahna puppet ran through betewen them a number of times, and I believe Frank, if he's like most people, has got a little something between the arms some like to call a "self". So that's perdy cool.

Oh, did they use the Mahna Mahna song in the Wilkins commercials? I've been wondering for a while, if anyone knows. :wink:

ReneeLouvier

Reaction score
I don't believe they'd be able to use the Mahna Mahna song in the Wilkin's commericals, as the song came out in the mid-60's, while Wilkin's were made in the late 50's.

But are you talking about the Diet Cherry Vanilla Dr. Pepper commecials? Cause they were used for that commerical, it came out in 2005 I believe. Quite a cute commerical too. :big_grin:

I found a video of the commercial. The first half is the actual commercial, while the second half is someone's play on it. Quite cute.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnKoLfjaMz0&search=Diet%20Cherry%20Vanilla%20Dr.%20Pepper

MeepBorkMeep

Reaction score
Heehee that was good. And I think it's nice how they used the original song and didn't try and make a rock remake of it, cause, I'm sorry, but those usually end up perdy bad. Not all the time, but mostly.

Well my dad says the song was from an old asprin commercial with Jim Henson...I don't know if he knows what he's talking about, does anybody?

TheJimHensonHour

Reaction score
MeepBorkMeep said:
Heehee that was good. And I think it's nice how they used the original song and didn't try and make a rock remake of it, cause, I'm sorry, but those usually end up perdy bad. Not all the time, but mostly.

Well my dad says the song was from an old asprin commercial with Jim Henson...I don't know if he knows what he's talking about, does anybody?
hmm I don't ever recall a jim henson asprin comercial..but hey what do I know lol:cool: