Where is Steve Whitmire Petition

Status
Not open for further replies.

beaker

Reaction score
I just saw the "new" Kermit talking, with Lady Gaga at the MTV VMA pre show.

If that is Artie, is it possible he's doing a distinct 1950's Kermit impersonation?

Here's "new" Kermit speaking the other day:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifd4gjIJ9Bc

And here is 1950's Kermit from Sam and Friends
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pU57i9rxoYU

"New" Kermit(Shermit? Ersatz Kermit? Fermit the Kog?)
absolutely sounds/acts nothing like modern Kermit...and by modern I mean 90-present Whitmire Kermit or mid 70's to late 80's Jim Henson Kermit.

Im guessing its more an homage to Kermit's humble beginnings?

CensoredAlso

Reaction score

If that is Artie, is it possible he's doing a distinct 1950's Kermit impersonation?

Here's "new" Kermit speaking the other day:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifd4gjIJ9Bc
Wait, if that's the Kermit everyone's been complaining about...then I'll have to disagree with them. I think he was great, that did sound a lot like Jim! First thing I thought of.

vazh

Reaction score
For a couple of years after Steve took the role of Kermit, I couldn't understand why! I could always tell the difference between Jim and his Kermit. I eared a few imitators who I though where better. Than it became more and more difficult to tell them apart. There is something is Jim's voice that isn't there in Steve, and if I don't ear it, I know it's Steve performing, but other than that, I couldn't tell them apart. When I read a interview with Steve on how hard it had been to replace Jim, I started to realise why they chose a great puppeteer over a great imitator. I felt guilty for some of the thing I said about Steve performance.

The Kermit in the AGT and MTV clip doesn't sound (to me ) like either of them. I can recognise a few seconds here and there that it's Kermit, but the not more. Yet what really concerns me to the point of looking daily for news on what's happening is how stiff Kermit looks. He doesn't move like himself, he (and I know this would sound weird to a non-Muppet fan) he looks detached, almost like he didn't care or didn't want to be there. (I know I'm talking about a Muppet, but they always full me into believing they are real.)

He looks too knew, almost unused. I fear the possibility that it's a new Muppet and that he was not made by the creature shop. It would explain the stiffness, and how the puppeteers hand seem to have to work hard just to have a little emotion and how the hand doesn't seem to be in a natural angle. Here is a clip someone posted that will probably make what I'm saying more clear.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPKng8j9Mnw

I've tried to make a Kermit like Muppet once, but it turned out stiff. I understood why when I saw the clip above. Could it be that what's weird about Kermit lately is the Muppet itself more than the just the puppeteer? What do you think?

Kynan Barker

Reaction score
I really think the main question is Has Kermit been Re cast, or is Artie just an understudy.
So it's OK for Kermit to sound and behave completely differently if it's only sometimes?

The biggest question in all of this is how Disney came to put an obviously different (and in my opinion, completely unready) "Kermit" on the national stage.

Let's give Artie a break...IF he was approved by Steve let's give him a chance to work on the character,I trust Steve's judgement..after all Steve can't be 2 places at once and the Muppets NEED promotion and it's good that Disney is promoting them..
Ferrell, you can't know if Steve "approves" of Artie. And frankly, if he does, that doesn't change my view that Artie's Kermit isn't a high enough standard.

Even if you're right about Steve being busy elsewhere (and none of the projects you mention are actually in production right now), why should anyone accept an "understudy" instead of the real Kermit? The Jonas Brothers are just as busy as Kermit is, but they don't have understudies to show up in their place.

I just saw the "new" Kermit talking, with Lady Gaga at the MTV VMA pre show. If that is Artie, is it possible he's doing a distinct 1950's Kermit impersonation?
Im guessing its more an homage to Kermit's humble beginnings?
How is that better? Even a good impression of 1950s Kermit is every bit as weird and jarring as a bad impression of modern-day Kermit.

Would it be a good idea if Eric Jacobson decided Miss Piggy should sound like Richard Hunt's voice from season 1?

beaker

Reaction score
For a couple of years after Steve took the role of Kermit, I couldn't understand why! I could always tell the difference between Jim and his Kermit. I eared a few imitators who I though where better. Than it became more and more difficult to tell them apart. There is something is Jim's voice that isn't there in Steve, and if I don't ear it, I know it's Steve performing, but other than that, I couldn't tell them apart. When I read a interview with Steve on how hard it had been to replace Jim, I started to realise why they chose a great puppeteer over a great imitator. I felt guilty for some of the thing I said about Steve performance.

The Kermit in the AGT and MTV clip doesn't sound (to me ) like either of them. I can recognise a few seconds here and there that it's Kermit, but the not more. Yet what really concerns me to the point of looking daily for news on what's happening is how stiff Kermit looks. He doesn't move like himself, he (and I know this would sound weird to a non-Muppet fan) he looks detached, almost like he didn't care or didn't want to be there. (I know I'm talking about a Muppet, but they always full me into believing they are real.)

He looks too knew, almost unused. I fear the possibility that it's a new Muppet and that he was not made by the creature shop. It would explain the stiffness, and how the puppeteers hand seem to have to work hard just to have a little emotion and how the hand doesn't seem to be in a natural angle. Here is a clip someone posted that will probably make what I'm saying more clear.

I've tried to make a Kermit like Muppet once, but it turned out stiff. I understood why when I saw the clip above. Could it be that what's weird about Kermit lately is the Muppet itself more than the just the puppeteer? What do you think?
Well the company Puppet Heap makes the Muppets now. There is no longer a connection or working relationship between Disney/Muppets Studios/MHLLC and the JHC.

You are right about the nuanced subtlety, mannerisms, and quirk regarding new Kermit.

While Whitmire's Kermit didnt sound quite like Jim's, its really the nuanced movement and body language that Whitmire brought into his own. The Muppets.com sketches to me are a snapshot of what the modern Muppets can be. Remarkable, still hip edgy and classic...with an unshakable chemistry and magic.

I fear that may slowly slip away. I would have to concede that
Whitmire being replaced or stepping back would signal a very dangerous slide toward uncertainty.

Wait, if that's the Kermit everyone's been complaining about...then I'll have to disagree with them. I think he was great, that did sound a lot like Jim! First thing I thought of.
Well....old old(ancient) school Jim Henson that is. The temp/new Kermit were seeing seems jarringly out of place, yet remarkably close to the *original* vision of Kermit by JH.

If people want modern Kermit, Whitmire's Kermit(whom I believe to be the only real Kermit), then such they will have to live without.

beaker

Reaction score
How is that better? Even a good impression of 1950s Kermit is every bit as weird and jarring as a bad impression of modern-day Kermit.

Would it be a good idea if Eric Jacobson decided Miss Piggy should sound like Richard Hunt's voice from season 1?
Oh it's not better...I was rather dismayed when I saw the Kermit performance from the VMA preshow both voice and mannerism wise.

I'm definitely with you on all points Kynan.

Luke

Reaction score
Well on the positive side, sticking him next to Lady Gaga made him look like the less wooden performer of the two .. :embarrassed:

It is shocking how unprepared and unrehearsed they are doing things at the moment though and the puppetrys a bit rough. She doesn't seem to know what questions are coming from Kermit, the puppeteer obviously can't see the monitor when she's trying to kiss him at first, and he's having trouble ad-libbing to any comments he gets back from her or the host. You'd think they would have had a good line ready when he would inevitably be asked about where Miss Piggy was, but nothing.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score

I felt guilty for some of the thing I said about Steve performance.
It's alright. That's sort of one thing I noticed. Upon seeing Steve's performances as Kermit, a lot of people on the forums mentioned that they weren't all that happy with Steve as :smile:, but now that somebody else is performing him (which is hopefully temporary), we'd all much rather have Steve back. It's sort of one of those 'don't know how much you miss something until it's gone' things. Hopefully Steve isn't gone, but you know what I mean.

Status
Not open for further replies.