Where JHC fell short during 25th Anniversary

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Hiya all,

Well, I was thinking today that we got a few really good things going during the 25th anniversary of The Muppet Show: MuppetFest/Muppet Show Live, the holiday movie (the following year), pictures on race cars and sporadic television appearances.

Really, though, I feel that the JHC just fell short of what they COULD have done by means of creating a re-awakening of Muppet awareness by the public. :sleep:

First of all: TV Show. There was the perfect opportunity! They had all the hooplah going around about 25 years which was really free advertising on their part, and they didn't follow through with a show. Who's to blame? EM.TV or JHC? I dunno, but somebody fell short somewhere.

I think with the purchase of Chaplin Studios they could have done just what my best pal Lin has suggested, and they could make a butt-load of money off that idea:
"I'm really surprized they haven't opened up a Muppet theater, you know, to do puppet workshops, special shows, museum displays, and premier movies. They could even have fan club groups hold yearly/quarterly meetings there. It would be great if they'd have one or two of the performers show up at meetings or workshops."

Even for live performances, they could have the Muppet characters there working from a soundtrack and folks would still love it all!! Why? It's MUPPETS!!

But, I'm thinking even something along the lines of Disney Institute but with the much better Henson theme, and all about puppetry!! JHC would be able to make a profit by charging for workshops, show entries (including to special exhibits--a place to permanently house a JH exhibit!!), use the big screen to show your movies or tv shows and the stage to do live shows (entry fees), rental of the space to fan clubs, split profits with someone who wants to hold a workshop there---the ideas are limitless what JHC could do with a Muppet Theater!!

They gave us (in a round about way) the Palisades Muppets figures, and the set of busts as great merchandise, including a few other items, but they could have done more (not that I could have afforded it) in the area of re-publishing old records in original complete format OR publishing a new series of recordings with new, never before released music on them, or never before released compilation recordings:

Dr. Teeth and the Electric Mayhem--The Complete Recordings (Vol 1, 2, & 3) which include songs from The Muppet Show, Muppet specials, and Muppet Movies! Something Chronological beginning with the first performance and working their way through TMM and more of TMS and even the John Denver specials etc.

They could do a compilation of The Miss Piggy Recordings with just Piggy on it.

Or, they could find the best performances of TMS guest stars and put that to recording and sell those "For the Children!" (Would be cool to get them to do something special for St. Jude.)

I think they're okay in the doll area with Igel, etc. Something a little more accessible to the states would be good, too, though.

So, I discussed doing something interactive (Lin's idea with the theater), on TV and products, and audio. Now, video.

They have rights to Sam and Friends still, they should have produced a "Best of SAF" video/DVD since that's what started it all. They could have put out specials never before released: Tinkerdee, Sex and Violence, or get rights to do a video compliation of Muppets on TV where they have clips of shows where the Muppets made appearances (Tonight Show, Sonny and Cher, Today Show), or even get the ownership rights to the John Denver specials (which I would have done rather than buying Chaplin Studios)--specials of which re-releases of the complete albums would be good, too.

Heck, a bloopers video would be great!

Mostly, the Muppet Show Live could have been released. They could have filmed and recorded that night, but then go back and shoot everything over where the puppeteers' heads might have popped into view, or mistakes might have happened--actually, I would have LOVED for all that to stay on it and see it as it actually happened that night!!

So, we got live, product, audio/visual, interactive, TV...what else could have been done? Sending the Live MS on tour? I dunno.

Something to think about.

Kev (FOZ)

Chilly Down

Reaction score
The 25th anniversary (2001-02) was actually a pretty good year for the Muppets, after the bleakness of some other years. But I know what you mean. This whole buyout nonsense with EM.TV prevented them from getting the series off the ground as fast as they should. Who knows now if it would even happen?

I think the idea of Muppet classes is a BRILLIANT one. That would bring in much-needed revenue for the company. I understand they can't hire anyone else on right now, but why couldn't the classes be an end in themselves? The performers could go on to work for other puppet shows (like Behind the Lions), or classmates could team up and collaborate on something together. And when the hiring freeze at Henson does end, they've got the names and numbers of a number of talented performers. The bonus for me is that I live in LA, so I'm within driving distance of the Chaplin Studios! :excited:

Renting out the place as a theater is also a fabulous idea.

While a 3-volume set of EM or Piggy may be too "niche," I would love to have seen a 25th anniversary CD of just the Muppet Show, including the later seasons that aren't on album, as well as a companion CD of just the movies (there's enough material there just for that). If it was released late enough in the year, they could have thrown on a song from KSY and the two songs from VMMCM!

Though I usually only like Muppet-centered performances of things, I'm actually looking forward to hearing "For the Children," in particular the Sixpence song (I'm a big Sixpence fan).

I think a "Vintage Muppets" DVD is definitely in order someday, though :zany: (Luke) said they looked into it and there just isn't enough public demand right now.

The one thing I was most disgusted about was a lack of a 25th anniversary special. After the Carol Burnett retrospective on CBS on Nov. '01, the airwaves were beseiged with clip shows for classic programs. Why not TMS? I'm glad NBC ordered the Christmas movie shortly thereafter, but they should have ordered an anniversary special as well. That's not Henson's fault, though.

Sending the live MS on tour would have been great. I don't know how well it would have done financially, but the Muppets got their biggest breath of fresh air in a decade when the performers could feed off the energy of a live audience. They need to do something else like this again in the near future.

Anyway, all that said, I can't really complain about the past year. We got MF/the Live Show, a new TV-movie, a new direct-to-video movie (even if, from what I hear, it wasn't all that good), we got the Muppets featured in a LARGE number of commericals (the MasterCard ads are classics), the Weezer video, the "For the Kids" music video, the Pallisades figures and other great merchandise, etc. All in all, IMHO, the past year has been one of the best years for Muppets in recent memory. The problem now is a lack of a follow-up. They need to build on the success of last year, but since the corporations won't stop sitting on their hands about who owns the Henson Company, they STILL can't move forward with a series or even another TV-movie. And they can't move forward with plans to continue Farscape either, till this gets settled. :frown: There's still hope for later in the year, but right now 2003 isn't looking up.

BTW, this question has been bugging me for a while: what exactly do the Muppeteers and creative types DO all day while the company's future is up in the air? They don't work for anyone else, and I'm sure they're getting compensated nicely for that. But the company's had a lot of periods lately where no projects are in production because they're waiting to see who owns the company. What do the puppeteers (and Brian, who's puppeteer, director, etc.) do during this time?

Secret Squirrel

Reaction score
Foz. Getting a TV show on the air isn't as simple as you seem to think. Neither EM.TV nor JHC are "to blame" for not accomplishing that - there are many possible reasons. Including the current TV and advertising market and the networks.

JHC would love to have a series going.

Chilly. Most of the performers are freelance. There aren't many "creative types" left on staff. JHC employs very few people between productions. If a series or other major project happened they would be able to bring in many more staff.

The people on staff are constantly working. Many on projects that never see the light of day. Brian is no longer on staff but maintains an office at La Brea to work on his own projects. The puppeteers do their own thing. Family, charities, music.

2001-2002 has been the very best year for the Muppets in a long long time. At the moment, everything Muppet-related is defined as 'niche' so they're doing well to maintain a profile.

secret squirrel

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Hiya Secret Squirrel and Chilly Down,

I realize that a LOT of work goes into forming a television show or series...or anything in the entertainment industry for that matter. I've been a part of the local news with Muley a few times, and just for that one day's worth of 'stuff' I saw how hectic and manic it can get. Just wish that planning had been done far enough in advance so that it COULD have been a major possibility.

I also realize that the demographics and all that garbage figures into it all as well.

Personally, dropping back to Muppets Tonight here, there was at least 10 of us college guys sitting around the tv watching that program, but for whatever reason (I dunno) I feel that ABC didn't give the show a chance. If I remember correctly, the time slot stunk and they didn't push it hardly at all. It was a great show, and we were all laughing our butts off over root beer and pizza!!

Unfortunately, these networks that are out there THINK they know what the public wants, and they don't have a clue. That's why we're slammed with dumb reality TV shows, and follow ups to dumb reality TV shows, and follow ups to those follow ups...they all jump on a big band wagon and BOOM! TV stinks.

Fox Network, where it has been rumored will be the next home of a Muppet Series, seems to be the only gutsy enough network to house something as cool as Muppets. They've had success with animated series, and I'm sure their audience would love to see the Muppets.

Chilly reminded me of all the things that did go on, so I'm pleased with that. Would have preferred, however, that planning had begun years earlier and then think of the outcome!! In the entertainment industry, I've often wondered if plans are quickly decided on and then carried out based on the current hype that networks/movie studios put out, or if there is actually some long-term planning that goes on? That is one thing that I've never read or heard about...I don't think.

I didn't mean to sound as if I'm blaming JHC, guys. I think it's evident how much I admire and adore that company--BUT! Chilly said it best in his response: follow up (which the first post should have said only). If ONLY I had the know-how, money, and staff to get involved, I would be happy as heck to be a part of things and get them rolling.

I just wish the whole EM.TV thing would smooth over or disappear.

2001-2002 has been the very best year for the Muppets in a long long time. At the moment, everything Muppet-related is defined as 'niche' so they're doing well to maintain a profile.
You're right and I agree, Squirrel. Like I said, Chilly reminded me of it--and, of course, I should probably have read the "Muppet Year In Review."

No hard feelings toward anything, just was thinking about what could have been, or could be.

Kev

Drtooth

Reaction score
Originally posted by Fozzie Bear

Personally, dropping back to Muppets Tonight here, there was at least 10 of us college guys sitting around the tv watching that program, but for whatever reason (I dunno) I feel that ABC didn't give the show a chance. If I remember correctly, the time slot stunk and they didn't push it hardly at all. It was a great show, and we were all laughing our butts off over root beer and pizza!!

Unfortunately, these networks that are out there THINK they know what the public wants, and they don't have a clue. That's why we're slammed with dumb reality TV shows, and follow ups to dumb reality TV shows, and follow ups to those follow ups...they all jump on a big band wagon and BOOM! TV stinks.
Can't agree with you more. Well, we have a lot of Muppet fans 10-35 and so on and a lot of new viewers who never had the chance to see the old show, but we have lsee of the screetching little teenie bopper 10-12 year old girls watching. Dump it. Put back Boy meets World and other campy shows. We'll get on billionth of a ratings point.

And then the show that wouldn't die America's lameset home movies of people getting seriously injured and idiotic inbread babys drooling all over things with dumb old cartoon sound effects to make people with a 9 IQ laugh.

Sorry! I haven't seen Drew Carey in months.....

Reality TV (Sorry Luke, you're a great guy and all, no hard feelings) SUCKS!!!! I mean, I'm a Celebrity, get me out of here? Which one was the celebrity? The old 1980's TV show announcer, or the d list models? No! It's the untallented daughter of Hasbeen Joan Rivers. At least get someone who isn't likely to do Voice over work on a local furnature commercial.

We may never see the Muppets on TV again because, well, they're too good for TV!:crazy: :sympathy: :concern:

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Originally posted by Drtooth
We may never see the Muppets on TV again because, well, they're too good for TV!
LOL!! How right you are!!

Actually, and to be honest, I sincerely believe with all my heart and soul that the only thing that will happen good to TV and FOR TV is the return of the Muppets. With all the reality and drama hooplahs out there, with all the same old junk on every TV station, the Muppets will have to come back and be the key that unlocks the door of real good, comedic, and entertaining TV.

In my humble opinion, the fate of TV entertainment lies on the shoulders of The Muppets' return to make that positive change in what we watch.

I just hope we steer clear of the parodies (Crocodile Hunter? Who wrote that into the VMC script??).

Kev le Foz
:embarrassed:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Originally posted by Fozzie Bear
LOL!! How right you are!!

Actually, and to be honest, I sincerely believe with all my heart and soul that the only thing that will happen good to TV and FOR TV is the return of the Muppets. With all the reality and drama hooplahs out there, with all the same old junk on every TV station, the Muppets will have to come back and be the key that unlocks the door of real good, comedic, and entertaining TV.
Of course, there's always Sesame Street :smirk: