Where was Gonzo in Muppet Family Christmas Carol Sing

GonzoLover726

Reaction score
I recently rewatched it on Youtube and I noticed at the end during the carol sing, Gonzo wasn't seen for the first part. Then even after he says his verse he disappears again!

Did they simply move him and I can't find him or is he really not there for most of the carol sing? I would think they (especially Dave Goelz though he could've played another Muppet during the scene) would notice if one of the main Muppets wasn't visible, especially since Gonzo is on the smaller side. :concern:

jobi71

Reaction score
I haven't looked at the scene in a while, so it is possible Gonzo could be lost in the crowd. A few other possibilities: Maybe some repairs needed to be done to the puppet or costume and he was being worked on and they needed to continue filming; Maybe Dave was not available or, as you said, playing another character. Frank Oz has said that if Piggy and Fozzie were both in a scene together he would play whichever one was more prominent and someone else would cover the other character. I have seen but don't recall the song - was Beau more featured? Or more in the front of the group? Maybe Gonzo had "had it" with all the Christmas cheer and went home. ;-)

GonzoLover726

Reaction score
I haven't looked at the scene in a while, so it is possible Gonzo could be lost in the crowd. A few other possibilities: Maybe some repairs needed to be done to the puppet or costume and he was being worked on and they needed to continue filming; Maybe Dave was not available or, as you said, playing another character. Frank Oz has said that if Piggy and Fozzie were both in a scene together he would play whichever one was more prominent and someone else would cover the other character. I have seen but don't recall the song - was Beau more featured? Or more in the front of the group? Maybe Gonzo had "had it" with all the Christmas cheer and went home. ;-)
Yeah maybe he was lost or needed repairs. Though maybe at first he was getting his suit on and then was getting it taken off after his verse.
I know a lot of muppetteers did two puppets at once (like Camilla and the Turkey was the same person in the carol scene) so maybe Dave did someone else and whoever had Gonzo took him away to change out of the suit and fix him if needed.
Speaking of being fixed, I absolutely love the new eye mechanism where he can lift one eyelid now. It's so goofy and funny looking.