1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Where were you when Jim Henson died?

Discussion in 'Henson People' started by jeffkjoe, Aug 6, 2005.

1. jeffkjoe

jeffkjoe New Member

Where were you when you heard Jim Henson died?

I think it's akin to hearing that Reagan was shot or the Challenger blowing up.

I was a sophomore at Cornell when my mom casually told over the phone, and man was I floored.

The single most influential man of my generation - for me- was gone. The only other time that I felt this way was 14 years later when Fred Rogers passed, and then it hit me that the cultural icons of my childhood were going way, and I really felt aged.
  2. Ernie101

Ernie101 Active Member

I was about 4 years old, I have no idea where I was. Nor did I know that he had died at the time..
  3. Gonzo14

Gonzo14 Well-Known Member

Ernie101, the banner on your post says your 17, like me, so we were 2 when he died, so we wouldn't remember it
  4. doctort13

doctort13 Member

I was at work, and read about his death in the morning newspaper. I was very upset and had a crummy day at work.
  5. Xerus

Xerus Active Member

I had left college and had gotten my first job. After I got home from the first day of my new job, my dad announced that 2 people had died. Sammy Davis Jr. and Jim Henson. I was shocked when I heard my hero, Jim passed away. Then I kept reading reports in the papers and magazines and on TV wondering what will become of the Muppets. Then in November, the salute to Jim Henson special aired and Kermit was speaking again.
  6. MrsPepper

MrsPepper Active Member

7. let me think....

i was 12 when Jim died. all i can really remember is that i was really into drawing and painting at the time. hearing of his death killed my creativity until i was about 14/15. the only person i ever really hoped to meet in person, was taken away too soon.

on a lighter side and a twist of fate.....

I have a friend ( almost old enough to be my dad, but with a great behind lol) who is a muscian. He is friends and business partners with Jim Henson's neice!!

:eek:

how cool is that!
  8. Ernie101

Ernie101 Active Member

Sorry Gonzo, got the date confused of his death.
  9. leliebel

leliebel New Member

I was about 6 or 7 years old and I saw it on the news. I didn't understand the cause of death. For years I thought he died of flesh eating micro organisms. I remember being sad, but not grieving, at that point I had not yet lost a family member and dind't understand the concept of death.
  10. Effralyo

Effralyo Active Member

I was 4, but don`t actually remember something relating to it- since I learned about ALL the Muppets and loved them forever only in 1997... and recalled the Fraggles...
    Here`s a poem I wrote this year on May 16th. Rather late, but that`s my tribute. Actually, it was in one of my fanart threads, but, okay, I repost.
    The Tears of Convincing John

When you were holding me, I could talk,

And laugh, and live by your only word;

You`ve placed me here, in this fancy world,

The Greatest Master of Fraggle Rock.

I wasn`t around when you were gone,

But still believe that the dream will come true -

I`ll one more time be a part of you,

And let the others have lots of fun.

You were only one who made my eyes

And vested me with a persuade,

While building my body, you gave me soul

That started to feel before I was made.

Whatever was death, I shan`t afraid,

Just use my gift, wanting help one more,

And if it will need me to die instead, -

I`ll try to convince it to let you go.
  11. Ernie101

Ernie101 Active Member

Wow, that was pretty dang good.

Saddening..but it was good.
  12. fuzzygobo

fuzzygobo Well-Known Member

I was a week away from graduating from Montclair State University, and Jim's death seemed to shut the door forever on my childhood- I felt that childlike innocence would be gone forever, and now I was forced to grow up and become part of the big bad adult world. The rest of 1990 was a bummer for me, but slowly I was able to accept his death, and the big bad world doesn't seem as scary. The greatest lesson I learned from Jim was to love others, and like Kermit in the Muppet Movie, one of my goals in life is to make other people happy.

15 years later, I feel more like a kid than ever before, that childlike innocence and that spirit of wonder still lives on in me, and I've found a number of ways to express myself artistically that Jim would be proud of. I'm writing and illustrating a children's book (with help from another devoted Muppet fan), I dabble with puppets, and embrace Jim's spirit every day.

Thanks for everything you touched, Jim, including my heart.
  13. Gonzo14

Gonzo14 Well-Known Member

for some of us younger members, the only muppet stuff we saw before Henson died was Sesame Street, since they usually show reruns for a couple years mixed in with new stuff. I too never had the shock of discovering that he died, since he's been gone as long as I can remember
  14. Gorgon Heap

Gorgon Heap Active Member

I'm gonna go right ahead and double-post, just so nobody misses it:

You can't top mine.

I was 7. My 8th birthday was the next day, May 17th. I was at the kitchen table, eating dinner with my family, and watching the news on our little black and white TV (where I had often watched TMS and SS). The newscaster announced the death of Sammy Davis Jr. at the age of 64. They showed some clips. I remember a little voice in my head saying "at least it wasn't Jim Henson". Then the newscaster said Jim Henson was dead (I can't remember his exact words). I instantly started crying, the dream of meeting my idol was over, and the next day at school everyone was telling me the news, as I was my class's resident Muppet obsessor. That's all I remember about my 8th birthday.

David "Gorgon Heap" Ebersole
  15. mummytomb

mummytomb Member

My Dad and I had Just hopped in the car after an orthodontist appointment. Iwas in the sixth grade. I remember holding it together just long enough to get home then I ran to my room, locked the door, and cried for the rest of the day.

I blame you, Arsenio Hall!