Where were you?

Tim

Reaction score
I'm sure this thread has been posted before, but maybe there will be some new comments submitted.

Where were you when you heard of Jim Henson's passing? I remember exactly.
I was driving home from work listening to the radio for details about Sammy Davis Jr.'s passing that very day as well. After the report, the announcer paused and I'll never forget the next few words: "An autopsy will be performed on the body of Muppets creator Jim Henson who died unexpectedly in New York today..."

To say I was stunned was putting it mildly. I really don't know how I managed to drive the short distance home, I just remeber myself to the TV to catch anything I could about details.

A sad thought today, but interestingly, I recently recieved copies of production stills from my part in "The Muppet Movie" that I hadn't seen before. There was Jim standing center stage (even looking in my direction) and doing what he did best..creating.

That's the way I want to remember him today..and always.

maniacal muppet

Reaction score
Sadly I wasn't around for it, but there is a video on www.youtube.com that has a video from the news with a story on it.
(P.S.- this was mentioned in another thread too.)

Camellia

Reaction score
I heard it on the evening news which I rarely watch :frown: Then on the covers of supermarket magazines at the checkstands.

SkeksisGirl

Reaction score
I don't remember where I was when Jim died... most likely totally out of it at the time... and my parent's weren't watching TV that night... I do remember the next morning though...

I woke up in my bed twin bed which had these bright striped animals for a blanket, sheets, and pillowcase (I still own some of the pillocases and use them). It was May 17th 1990... I was ten years old. My mom came in to wake me up for school since it was a Thursday.

Her words were as I remember them "Happy Birthday Mandi... Jim Henson died yesterday."

And some people wonder how I always remember his death day.

MeepBorkMeep

Reaction score
I wasn't alive, and I don't remember how I heard about it. I'm sure I asked my parents if I could meet Jim Henson, and they said he was dead. However, there was a period of time where I completely forgot. Up until last year, I just assumed he was alive. Remembering SUCKED.

Not as intersting a story as you guys have, but that's it.

JoeyMuppet

Reaction score
I was still in my mother's stomach,hahahaha.In other words,I wasn't born until about 2 months later.

movielad

Reaction score
I was at home (this was when I was 13 years old at the time, and 6 days before my birthday) and was listening to the radio when the news was announced. I was shocked quite considerably. My first thoughts were for his family and friends.

M.