Where Your Heart Leads You - A Rowlf Story

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
All right, here's my second fan fic. I had a little trouble getting going and have to admit, I'm more knowledgeable about Sesame Street and Fraggle Rock than classic Muppets. But, I love Rowlf and wanted to write a story about him, so this is it. I hope everyone likes it, please be kind, but do let me know what you think! Enjoy!

Chapter One:

The Muppet Theater was chaotic and crazy as usual. The Muppets were in the middle of a new run of shows and so far everything was going…well, chaotic and crazy, but that was nothing new.

It was Friday night, the night the show is performed, and so of course, backstage was even busier than normal. On top of that, Friday night was the night that most Muppets tried to make contact with their outside families. While the Muppets were really one huge family themselves, they all had extended family living in different parts of the country.

This Friday was no exception to the others, so between makeup and wardrobe preparations, if one looked around backstage they would see various Muppets using various forms of communication to contact their loved ones.

In one corner Kermit was talking to his nephew Robin.

“Ok Robin, I’m going to help you with your spelling as soon as the show is over tonight and then we’ll give your parents a buzz, how does that sound?” said Kermit.

“Sounds good Uncle Kermit! I can’t wait to tell them how well I did on last week’s test!” said Robin.

“Don’t forget to tell them about your newest Frog Scout merit badge too!” said Kermit as he patted his nephew on the head.

In another corner of the room, Fozzie Bear was on the telephone.

“Hey Mom! Looking forward to seeing you soon! Of course I’ll break a leg, they always throw banana peels at me! Wocka Wocka!” said Fozzie obviously talking to his mother, Emily Bear who lived out in the country.

Over by the desk, Scooter was sitting at the computer typing an e-mail.

“Dear Skeeter, How are you doing? I hope you can come visit me at the theater real soon!” typed Scooter. He had recently been reunited with his twin sister and worked hard to make sure they would never lose each other again.

Finally, in another corner of the room, Rowlf the dog sat at a piano alone, playing the keys very softly. Rowlf, a usually easy going, good natured dog, was feeling really down on this particular Friday night.

“Look at all of them. They have no idea how lucky they are. They’ve got brothers and sisters and parents. Even Gonzo has a family. What do I have” said Rowlf to himself.

Rowlf sat and watched every Friday when all the various Muppets started getting in touch with their family members. Every Friday he ended up more and more depressed. He didn’t know if he even had a family.

“I’d give anything to have what they have,” sighed Rowlf to himself.

Most of the time, Rowlf was happy to have all of the Muppets as his family. But every once and awhile, he felt a longing for something more. He just wanted to know where he came from. He wished he remembered more of his puppy hood.

He knew he spent some time alone on the streets. Then he was taken in by a very nice woman. She happened to have a piano in her home. Rowlf discovered he had some natural musical talent. The woman encouraged him to go on his way and pursue a career. He ended up with a gig in a restaurant. One day a frog with big dreams came into the restaurant on his way to Hollywood. Rowlf went along and the rest was history. He made some wonderful friends. Friends who were like family. But, still he felt empty inside from time to time.

“Rowlf? Rowlf? Two minutes to curtain Rowlf!” exclaimed Scooter pulling Rowlf out of his reflection.

“Oh? Yeah, I’m on my way!” said Rowlf.

Usually he’d repress the feelings he had and let them out in the music he would play onstage. He always felt better after performing and would forget how empty he felt. That is, until the next Friday rolled around. Then, the whole dance began all over again.

“I’m tired of feeling this way. I’ve got to do something about it,” thought Rowlf as he stepped out onto stage.

He just wasn’t sure what to do.

TogetherAgain

Reaction score
Wow! The first few paragraphs are so happy and floating along so wonderfully, and I'm reading and I'm just as happy as can be. And then I read this:

“Look at all of them. They have no idea how lucky they are. They’ve got brothers and sisters and parents. Even Gonzo has a family. What do I have” said Rowlf to himself.
And my emotional ballon goes "pffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffft." It's empty. My heart's breaking. I want to just run in there and give Rowlf a HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE hug! <knocks on computer screen> Let me in! I need to give my favorite dog a hug! Please let me in, Please! Oh......... Rowlf!

<wimper> More please? :sympathy:

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
Yes, I do seem to have a knack for writing sad stories don't I? Don't worry though, as was the case with Search for Bert, it won't be all sad! There will be happy moments too! Glad you like it so far, hope to have more by tomorrow. :smile:

TogetherAgain

Reaction score
I have just one thing to say about that.

:smile: YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY! :smile:

Beauregard

Reaction score
Love it love! Hug it squeeze it! I loooooooooooooooove it! Can't wait to read more!!!

Might just give me ideas on where Rowlf would be without Kermit for my story. I was havign troubles with that one.

luvtosr

Reaction score
I'm hooked, that was a great opening instalment I love the different ways the Muppets are contacting their families, so appropriate to each. Can't wait for more!

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
Here's the next installment. Thanks for all the nice comments everyone! Now, bonus points to anyone who can find the connection to me in this chapter! (It's not a hard one)

Chapter Two:

The show finished with a bang, literally as Crazy Harry set off a large amount of dynamite. This was nothing new to this crowd.

Now Muppets were everywhere backstage gathering their things, getting ready to go home for the weekend and congratulating each other on another show well done. Or at least celebrating the fact that once again, the theater didn’t burn down.

“Hey Rowlf, that was a great song you sang tonight!” said Gonzo.

“Thanks,” said Rowlf. He really just wanted to get out of there.

“Hey Rowlf, I was thinking, you and I should do some sort of dueling piano thing, but I’ll play my harmonica!” exclaimed Fozzie.

“Um, I don’t know Fozzie,” started Rowlf.

“Hey Rowlf, my main dog, the band and I could really use you for next weeks’ number, what do you say?” asked Dr. Teeth as he entered the room.

“I’m not sure,” said Rowlf.

“Oh hey, Uncle Rowlf! Did you see my latest frog scout badge?” exclaimed Robin jumping into the conversation.

“Not yet Robin,” started Rowlf. Suddenly everyone was talking at once about all the things they wanted Rowlf to do. Rowlf was already feeling overwhelmed thinking about his family and it caused something inside of him to snap at this moment.

“You know what? Just LEAVE ME ALONE! I can’t help any of you right now! I can’t even help myself!!!” yelled Rowlf suddenly.

Everyone was silent and stunned. This was Rowlf the dog, he never got mad, never even raised his voice. He wouldn’t even hurt his own fleas. All of the Muppets looked at each other nervously as to what to do next.

Robin was unafraid of what had just happened. He hopped over to Rowlf and took his hand.

“Something’s bothering you isn’t it?” asked Robin.

“I don’t really want to talk about it,” said Rowlf softening a little bit toward the young frog. He really hadn’t meant to yell.

“Well, I think we do need to talk about it,” said Kermit, who had come into the room right during Rowlf’s outburst and was standing behind everyone else.

“Why don’t the rest of you go on home, we’ll be there in a little while,” continued Kermit.

With that, all of the Muppets started piling onto the Electric Mayhem’s bus to head back to the Muppet Boarding House. Only Kermit and Rowlf remained in the theater, along with Beauregard, who had stayed behind to mop up the stage and would drive them back in his taxi later. He had the good sense to leave the two of them alone.

“Rowlf, tell me, what is going on?” asked Kermit after they sat down at a table.

“I don’t know if I can explain it Kermit. I’ve been really depressed lately,” said Rowlf.

“I’ve noticed,” said Kermit.

“You have? I didn’t know it was becoming obvious,” said Rowlf.

“Well, the last couple of weeks you’ve been out there playing songs like ‘Nobody Knows the Trouble I’ve Seen’ and other tunes like that so I figured something was up” said Kermit.

“All right, I do know what’s bothering me” said Rowlf.

“Tell me. Please Rowlf. I’m your friend. I’m here for you,” said Kermit.

“Kermit, I want to know if I have a family somewhere. I mean you’ve got Robin and all the other frogs back at the swamp. Fozzie has his mother. Scooter has a sister. Gonzo has family too! Kermit, I don’t know where I come from. I want a family,” explained Rowlf.

“I thought you said you grew up with that lady in Minnesota,” said Kermit.

“Well, she’s just part of where I come from. I wasn’t a young puppy anymore when she took me in. I had to have started somewhere before that! I could have brothers and sisters. Who knows?” said Rowlf.

“Ok, maybe you do. Let’s get Scooter to help, he could look some stuff up on the Internet for you! You can find all sorts of information that way!” said Kermit.

“Um, well, that’s a great idea Kermit, but I think I’d like to do it a little differently,” said Rowlf.

“What do you want to do?” asked Kermit.

“I want to go find that lady I lived with and see if she knows anything about me from before I came to live with her. And then, I’m going to go find my family,” said Rowlf.

“Rowlf, are you sure? I’d hate for you to leave! The show needs you!” said Kermit.

“I know, but I really need to do this. I have to have a family out there somewhere! Maybe they need to know that I’m ok too! I just really need to do this,” said Rowlf.

“Rowlf, I want you to know, all of us Muppets, we’re your family too,” said Kermit.

“Kermit, I know. I don’t think you understand though,” said Rowlf.

“No, I do, I do. If you want to go find your family, I think that’s great,” said Kermit.

“Thanks Kermit,” said Rowlf.

“No problem, we’re going with you!” exclaimed Kermit.

Rowlf couldn’t imagine the entire Muppet brood following him around the country on his search. As much as he did love them, he knew they’d slow him down. Still, Kermit looked so eager.

“Ok, Kermit, I guess that would be all right,” said Rowlf.

“Oh good. Now, let’s go home and get a good night’s sleep and come up with a game plan tomorrow. Sound good?” said Kermit.

“Sure,” said Rowlf.

They went and found Beauregard and then got in the taxi to head back to the Boarding House. They rode home mostly in silence.

“Thanks for listening Kermit,” said Rowlf when they arrived and headed up the stairs.

“Hey, that’s what friends are for!” said Kermit. They said good night and headed to their rooms.

But, Rowlf couldn’t sleep. He knew Kermit’s intentions were good, but he felt he needed to do this on his own.

He finally got out of bed and threw all of his possessions into a bag, which pretty much consisted of a few dog bones and a flea collar. He decided he would go on his own to find his family and then come back home to be with his friends. He just needed to do this for himself.

He looked longingly at his piano on his way out of his room.

“I’ve got to learn to play a more portable instrument,” he thought to himself.

Finally, he wrote a note to Kermit explaining why he left on his own. Kermit was a good friend and Rowlf was sure he’d understand.

Then slowly and quietly, Rowlf slipped out of the boarding house and headed to the bus station. With in an hour he was on a Greyhound bound for Minneapolis. He had no idea what was in store for him. But he would find out very soon.

TogetherAgain

Reaction score
<puppy dog eyes> Oh....

<knocks on computer screen> LET ME IN! I NEED TO GIVE MY ROWLF A HUG! oh....

It- it's so heartwrenching, Beth. I can completely sympathize with Rowlf. I mean I don't know what it's like to go searching for your family, but I know what it's like when everybody's asking you to do this that and the other thing and you just want to be alone. And Rowlf shouting... I've never heard him shout. Oh, I want to give him a hug!

heh, but I can totally see the whole muppet gang all on a wild goose chase across the country looking for Rowlf's family, and Rowlf going crazy and... and now it's a wild goose chase for Rowlf! Ok, that's it, get me on that bus, I'm going with! I've gotta help my Rowlf! (have I ever told you the story about how Rowlf and I are engaged...) But I totally understand him needing to be on his own. I love how Kermit could see right through him, sort of like how Rowlf could see right through Kermit in TMM. Ok, that's it, I want more!!!!!!!!!!

Oh, and the connection to you? Let's see, "you grew up with that lady in Minnesota"... that have anything to do with it?

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
Yep, the Minnesota thing is the connection to me! I had to send him someplace that I could write about with knowledge. So I know it's a random place to go, but it works for me! Anyway, next chapter hopefully coming tomorrow and the other Muppets will definately still be involved!