Where's Bert and Ernie?

RedShoebox

Reaction score
I've been watching the newer episodes of Sesame Street lately, and I've noticed that Bert and Ernie aren't on all that much compared to older episodes. On some occasions, there was not even a Bert and Ernie's Great Adventures segment.

So does anyone have any ideas as to why they have been somewhat absent as of late? Could it be a popularity issue, or could it have to do with those rumors that are who-knows how old? I happen to know a few people who are unsure if they even live together anymore. Am I the only one bugged by this?

Mupp

Reaction score
You are not the only one.

I would love to see new material with Ernie and Bert.

Muppet Frog

Reaction score
Bert is still around but Ernie hasn't appeared much after season 37 due to Steve's availabilty from Disney.

Drtooth

Reaction score
That's what I'd say too. Eric and Steve are among a few Muppeteers that have other roles outside Sesame Street. Where as KEvin Clash, Fran Brill, Martin Robinson... they're characters are primarily Sesame Street... in the case of Kevin, he's got a lot of duties on Sesame Street, so I doubt they'd bring back any of his characters for the movie, unless they loop dialogue. Bert WILL have a street scene next season, I don't know about Ernie...

And even season after that won't film until 2011. which means, if things go right with the movie (which was scheduled to start filming in a month or so) then SW is trying to tape their show around that so they don't lose too many Muppeteers to any Disney Muppet projects.

Off hand, Steve, Eric, Matt Vogel and David Rudman (depending on how much they use Scooter and Janice) would be very busy with their respective Muppet characters. And most Disney Muppet projects would film in California (unless I'm mistaken). SW is ALLLLLLL the way in New York, meaning they'd have to constantly fly people back and forth. If there were any projects going on in NYC, there wouldn't be that much of a problem. Why, Leslie apparently partook in a Stuffed and Unstrung New York show, and she's got a major character on Sesame Street.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
I've been watching the newer episodes of Sesame Street lately, and I've noticed that Bert and Ernie aren't on all that much compared to older episodes. On some occasions, there was not even a Bert and Ernie's Great Adventures segment.

So does anyone have any ideas as to why they have been somewhat absent as of late? Could it be a popularity issue, or could it have to do with those rumors that are who-knows how old? I happen to know a few people who are unsure if they even live together anymore. Am I the only one bugged by this?
I would have to disagree. Aside from EW's, an E&B segment (including Great Adventures) was used in at least 16 of the 26 episodes. And what with the new format that limits all the characters screen time, that's a lot.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
:frown:I haven't recognized Sesame Street for quite some time. I do think they need to put more classic Sesame characters into the mix to balance out Elmo and Abby. This includes Ernie and Bert. :stick_out_tongue:

SSLFan

Reaction score
Join the club.

I LOVE Sesame Street and will continue to support it through thick and then, but come on, lets be real. Besides Elmo, Abby, Telly & any Joey Mazzarino performed character, everyone else has been completely shoven under the radar.

This is not a bash against the other performers. As Drtooth said, it all depends on availablity these days, since the new Muppet movie will take up time to work on SS for most.

Really, this has to be the most played out topic (LOL). A fan brings up the lack of one or more chracters (myself included) and complain how they aren't on the show as much, and thus the whole "Sesame Street Isn't the Same" gimmick.

And someone brings up the whole "We're not the target audience blah blah blah..."

...Yeah just thought I'd get it out the way, :big_grin:.

Anywho, it's funny how say, back in the late 90's to mid- 2000's, fans complained how Elmo took up too much screen time. Back then, I would have disagreed, seeing as though Elmo did have a nice chunk of screen time, all the others STILL were featured on the show. There was no lacking of Bert & Ernie, Oscar, Grover and etc. But when Season 40 aired...this really WAS the case. The show became Elmo - Abby- and Muarray HEAVY.

It somewhat reminds me of "The Boy Who Cried Wolf". Fans have cried (complained) so much (not saying no one in particular, just in general), that now when the time has REALLY come TO do so, it's like we've done it so much before that now saying something won't really even matter.
:coy:

RedShoebox

Reaction score
:frown:I haven't recognized Sesame Street for quite some time. I do think they need to put more classic Sesame characters into the mix to balance out Elmo and Abby. This includes Ernie and Bert. :stick_out_tongue:
Yeah. Me and my friends are always joking, saying: "They should just call it Elmo Street now." I'm not saying Elmo is a bad thing, but too much of a good thing can be a problem. :\

RedShoebox

Reaction score
Join the club.

I LOVE Sesame Street and will continue to support it through thick and then, but come on, lets be real. Besides Elmo, Abby, Telly & any Joey Mazzarino performed character, everyone else has been completely shoven under the radar.

This is not a bash against the other performers. As Drtooth said, it all depends on availablity these days, since the new Muppet movie will take up time to work on SS for most.

Really, this has to be the most played out topic (LOL). A fan brings up the lack of one or more chracters (myself included) and complain how they aren't on the show as much, and thus the whole "Sesame Street Isn't the Same" gimmick.

And someone brings up the whole "We're not the target audience blah blah blah..."

...Yeah just thought I'd get it out the way, :big_grin:.

Anywho, it's funny how say, back in the late 90's to mid- 2000's, fans complained how Elmo took up too much screen time. Back then, I would have disagreed, seeing as though Elmo did have a nice chunk of screen time, all the others STILL were featured on the show. There was no lacking of Bert & Ernie, Oscar, Grover and etc. But when Season 40 aired...this really WAS the case. The show became Elmo - Abby- and Muarray HEAVY.

It somewhat reminds me of "The Boy Who Cried Wolf". Fans have cried (complained) so much (not saying no one in particular, just in general), that now when the time has REALLY come TO do so, it's like we've done it so much before that now saying something won't really even matter.
:coy:
I see what you're saying. I mean, Sesame Street is still a great kid's show. It just seems to me it's not like they're letting every character have their time to shine anymore. I know Sesame Street has changed, but I'm not saying it's a bad thing that it did. And, me being a fan of Bert and Ernie, this would bug me anyway.