1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

Which are muppets?

Discussion in 'Family Worlds' started by Maestro, Mar 25, 2008.

1. Maestro New Member

When you say "Muppets", what does that truly encompass? I realize that of course the cast of The Muppet Show and movies, and also the cast of Sesame Street is included, but who else/what other groups are? I am doing a speech for school about the Muppets and I want to make sure I cover everyone. :wisdom:
  2. unclematt Active Member

It includes the casts of The Muppet Show, Sesame Street, Fraggle Rock, Muppets Tonight, The Jim Henson Hour, Bear and the Big Blue House, Dog City, City Kids, Little Muppet Monsters and Sam and Friends. I think that is all of them but thier might be more.
  3. Wasn't "Muppet" just a term that Jim Henson used to describe any character that was created by the Henson company? I would guess that even characters like Flat Eric from the Levi's ad, Monkey from the UK PG Tips ad and any other Henson related character would and should be considered a Muppet.
  4. unclematt Active Member

It gets a little fuzzy in that aspect because then The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (from the first set of movies) would be considered Muppets
  5. Maestro New Member

Yes, by that definition anything from the Creature Shop would be considered Muppets. I also don't think that the characters created for commercials and ads really count as Muppets in most cases, but I could be wrong...
  6. Skekayuk Member

It's a tricky question, some definitions will include Creature Shop stuff, but I think many of their things don't really count. Although some Creature Shop stuff, such as Ghost Of Faffner Hall should. Not least because Ghost Of Faffner Hall, The Animal Show, and, Mopatop's shop all not only used some Muppet-style puppets, but even reused some of the minor puppets from TMS itself. (In some cases even with the original TMS puppeteers - for example Frank Oz doing Sam The Eagle on The Animal Show, while I'm sure Louise Gold must've done her Fish-Singer on Faffner Hall, and could she have reprised her infamous monster imitations on Faffner Hall? who knows....)

Generally, I'm not sure about counting such purely Creature Shop ventures as Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Labyrinth or Dark Crystal. But there are situations where one might include them for brevities sake. For example on my fansite about Ms Gold, I've used the catagory 'Muppet Work' to define all her Henson puppeteering, as opposed to her performances for Spitting Image, Roland Rat and other distinctly non-Henson projects.
  7. unclematt Active Member

Very well said Skekayuk
  8. Good point. I am sure there is a very fine line between what is considered a Muppet and what is not. When Labyrinth is advertised, however, they usually use the term Muppet when saying things like "starring David Bowie with Jim Henson's Muppets" or something similar. I would class anything puppet-wise that Jim Henson did as Muppet related but I'm not sure I would call each individual character as a Muppet.

This quote is from Wiki:

"The Muppets are a group of puppet characters created by Jim Henson. Individually, a Muppet is properly one of the puppets made by Jim Henson or his company's workshop. Although the term is often used erroneously to refer to any puppet that resembles the distinctive style of The Muppet Show and Sesame Street characters, the term is both an informal name and legal trademark linked to the characters created by Henson.
    The word "Muppet" itself was said by Henson to have been created by combining the words "marionette" and "puppet"; however, Henson was also known to have stated that it was just something he liked the sound of, and he made up the "marionette/puppet" story while talking to a journalist because it sounded plausible."
  9. unclematt Active Member

The Marionette/Puppet explanation was a question on Jeopardy today.
  10. Was the question about Jim and the Muppets?
  11. unclematt Active Member

Two word combined to make the word "Muppet."

What are Marionette and Puppet?
  12. wwfpooh New Member

For me personally, the only things that technically aren't Muppets are those things made by The Creature Shop that are based upon another franchise (namely the TMNT & SW), for even Dark Crystal & Labyrinth are tied in with the Henson name, whereas Teenage Mutant Ninja (or Hero) Turtles is copyrighted to the TMNT comic creators & those various people who've made the TMNT cartoons (both the 80's & 2003 versions) and the Star Wars saga (even the parts with Frank Oz manning the Yoda puppet) is copyrighted to friend of the Muppet family, George Lucas.
  13. minor muppetz Well-Known Member

A Muppet is almost any puppet creation of the Jim Henson Company, and I guess now anything considered a Muppet by Disney. The Sesame Street characters are still called Muppets, even new ones. Most creature shop creations are not considered Muppets, and neither are any post-2004 puppets created by The Jim Henson Company (unless it was created for a Disney Muppet production).
  14. RedPiggy Well-Known Member

Do the Sinclairs count?
  15. wwfpooh New Member

Possibly.
  16. minor muppetz Well-Known Member

I don't think so. But you never know. Disney already owned the rights to the Dinosaur series before buyignt he Muppets, so they wouldn't be part of the same deal. The credits don't refer to them as Muppets. I don't now which company owns the character rights (the credits and DVD packaging don't give any copyright credits for characters). A long time ago Muppet Wiki gave fans a chanc eto vote for whether Dinosaurs should be categorized as Muppets or creatures, and the majority of votes went to creatures.
  17. wwfpooh New Member

Yeah, Dinosaurs seems like the sort of series that should complement Sid & Marty Kroff's Land of the Lost franchise. :D
  18. unclematt Active Member

The Sinclairs are creatures in my opinion.
  19. wwfpooh New Member

Yeah, Simpsons-like creatures. ^_^
  20. Quesal Active Member

I'd even call the puppets you see on "Puppet Up" Muppets myself.