Which characters were in the most sought-after rare clips?

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Here's something that's been on my mind today: Which characters have been in the highest number of rare clips that we really want to see? I thought I'd try to tally up some for me.

Of course, it's probably a given that characters who were primarily "street scene characters" (Big Bird, Oscar, Sam the Robot, Rodeo Rosie, etc.) were in a lot of clips that we don't have access to, and of course there are characters who weren't on for long and who the majority of their inserts are really scarce (Leslie Mostly, Deena and Pearl, Professor Hastings), not to mention that some characters (like Aristotle and Warren Wolf) we don't really know about the majority of their material.

I'm just going to list ones with rare clips that I most want to see. The same segments will be listed multiple times if multiple characters I'm listing were in the same sketch. I will also list some segments that have surfaced on YouTube, but only in non-English form (in fact I was going to list all the rare Biff and Sully segments I want to see, only to realize most of them I have seen in dubbed foreign language form).

Rare Ernie Segments
  • The original "Rubber Duckie"
  • Four-part milk bits (one of them appears in The Sesame Street Book of Puzzles)
  • Ernie makes a friend (one segment listed in the CTW Archives First Season Show Content files which sounds intriguing... I wonder if he "makes a friend" as in meets somebody new, or if he literally makes a friend, perhaps by decorating the face of an Anything Muppet... The documents that list it list it under "body parts" segments)
  • Banana in Ear part 3 (in English)
  • Ernie and the candy salesman (in English)
  • Snowman Salesman (in English)

Total (including multi-part segments as one)= 6

Rare Bert Segments
  • Four-part milk bits (somehow I suspect most of them just had Ernie, but Bert was in the part that was included in The Sesame Street Book of Puzzles)
  • Banana in ear part 3
  • I'm Square
  • Pigeon (especially since recently, I saw it mentioned in a guide on Muppet Wiki, compiled from the CTW Archives program guide, and then somebody actually uploaded that episode to YouTube... And it turned out the episode actually had Doin' the Pigeon instead... I know there's at least one other episode page that mentions it, but I'd like to see it and see that it actually exists as a segment on the show, as opposed to it being mistaken for Doin' the Pigeon)

Total = 4

Rare Grover Segments
  • "loud and soft" radio bit with Kermit (in English)
  • "G is for Grover" (listed in the first season show content, I mainly want to see this and see if the Grover in this is actually this Grover or possibly a different Grover... So this one might not count)
  • Kermit and Grover: yes
  • Kermit and Grover: no
  • The Count orders hot dogs from Grover
  • Waiter Grover: bacon and eggs

Total = 6 (assuming "G is for Grover" does indeed feature this Grover)

Rare Big Bird Segments
  • Chickety Chick
  • The Sound of the Letter A

Total = 2

Rare Sherlock Hemlock Segments
  • Sherlock identifies Bob (in English)
  • Ernie's missing cookies (in English)
  • Sherlock talks about the letter V
  • Sherlock talks about the letter S
  • Mess in the front yard

I'll try to tally up a few more characters later, but so far it looks like Big Bird and Grover are tied at 6 for most rare segments I want to see.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Here's some more:

Cookie Monster
  • Weather map (I think this is the one that appears on a TV in that film insert that shows kids playing followed by adults doing jobs that are similar)
  • Herbert Birdsfoot tests Cookie Monster (in English)
  • Sherlock Hemlock helps Ernie find out who took his cookies
  • Sherlock Hemlock identifies Bob
  • The Leslie Mostly Show (in English)

Total=6

Mr. Snuffleupagus
  • Big Bird and Snuffy play "One of These Things"
  • Big Bird takes a picture of Snuffy
  • Nobody
  • Ernie sees Snuffy

Total=4

The Count
  • Grover serves The Count