Which DVD's are worth the money?

MrsPepper

Reaction score
Hello there guys. I'm trying to collect the main muppet movies on DVD, but I'm not sure which one I should start with, or which is worth the money.

I'm looking to eventually get (at the very least):
The Muppet Movie
The Great Muppet Caper
Muppets Take Manhattan
Muppet Christmas Carol

These are the ones I'd like to get first (I own MTI on vhs, so that can wait). But I haven't yet seen TGMC (Gasp!) and I've seen MTM at least 6 times. So I was thinking I'd start with the 1st, The Muppet Movie. Would anyone suggest otherwise? I dont know how good TGMC is and it would be fun to buy it and watch it, but I love the 1st one. And I'm not buying a Christmas movie this time of year. Also I don't know which DVD's are better (you know, special features and stuff).

So any advice for my muppety dilemma? :embarrassed:

muppetsforlife

Reaction score
They are all worth the money!! I would start with the Muppet Caper or the Muppet Movie. They are both out of print now and harder to get. If you are serious about wanting them take what you can get cause they are getting harder and harder to find. Both the Muppet Caper and Muppet Movie are GREAT in my opinion anyway.

Erine81981

Reaction score
I have MTM, MCC and MTI on DVD. I'm trying to to find TMM and MGC. I would love to have them too. I'm looking out for them at Walmart because I found MTM there on DVD. Hope to see rest. I also look on ebay too. They have all of them there.

muppetsforlife

Reaction score
I had to buy a lot of my muppet dvd off of e-bay cause they are no longer in print. A lot of them aren't overly expensive but they are getting harder to find than before. As far as I know you can't find the older Jim Henson Muppet Movies at the store anymore. Suncoast is a good place to look for some of the muppet stuff.

Pumpkinhead

Reaction score
I am currently scouting out The Muppet Movie and The Great Muppet Caper on DVD. They are indeed out of print but there is a chance you can find them where used DVD's are sold. That's where I'm looking because even on ebay these are selling for nearly $50.

You can find Muppets Take Manhattan for $5.50 at most every Wal-Mart. Quite possibly the best Muppet film in my opinion.

You can find Muppet Treasure Island for $11.99 at any Best Buy. A great film.

The Muppet Christmas Carol is hard to find when it isn't the holidays. But I expect it goes for about the same price as MTI when the season kicks in.

You can also find Kermit's Swamp Years for $5.50, I just bought this and haven't watched it yet.

Follow That Bird is also available for $5.50 at Wal-Mart. It really is a worthy muppet movie featuring the entire Sesame gang.

Elmo in Grouchland is also available for $5.50. A good but not great movie. Has it's moments. This one is only for the completist (unless you really do love the movie).

MrsPepper

Reaction score
Thanks you guys.

I tried my local wal-mart and didn't find any, but I'll search again.

I don't think there is a suncoast near me, unfortunately.

I didn't know they were out of print, no wonder I'm having a hard time! I'llt ake what I can get I guess. I'll look at the movie stores, sometimes they sell used copies. Thanks for the idea.

And Pumpkinhead, I actually really like Elmo in Grouchland! :big_grin: I thought it was cute. But I'm mainly looking for the core Muppet films.

Also I'm canadian, so I doubt I'd be paying $5 for anything..

Pumpkinhead

Reaction score
MrsPepper said:
Thanks you guys.

I tried my local wal-mart and didn't find any, but I'll search again.

I don't think there is a suncoast near me, unfortunately.

I didn't know they were out of print, no wonder I'm having a hard time! I'llt ake what I can get I guess. I'll look at the movie stores, sometimes they sell used copies. Thanks for the idea.

And Pumpkinhead, I actually really like Elmo in Grouchland! :big_grin: I thought it was cute. But I'm mainly looking for the core Muppet films.

Also I'm canadian, so I doubt I'd be paying $5 for anything..

Glad you like Elmo in Grouchland! I like it myself, even though I don't like it as much as the previous Sesame film. But I'm glad it has it's fans.

Good luck in your quest. I seem to be on the same mission! Like I said, check out any place that might sell used DVD's. That's most likely the only place you'll find The Muppet Movie and The Great Muppet Caper. However, you should find all the others soon enough.

baby sinclair

Reaction score
Try fye they always have the muppet dvds for real cheap there.Or just wait disney will problably release better copy's in the future.

MrsPepper

Reaction score
One down! **crosses MTM off the list**

It will take some diligent hunting (or internet ordering) to get the others, though... :smile:

Beauregard

Reaction score
MCC isn't worth buying on DVD over video. It isn't widescreen and is bearly worth the specials. Ther are a couple of funny outtakes, but not worth more than the video IMHO. Of course, quality may be beter. I'm not sure.