Which Film do you want to see get made?

Gonzo

Reaction score
I agree, and if they did it right, there'd be plenty of room for some biting satire of Hollywood and the whole "system." I'm just wondering if they'd really put teeth into it, right after being given another chance by (fill in the blank with whichever studio/people end up acquiring our friends). Maybe a few jabs here and there, but not the balls-out assault that we're hoping for.

I love the idea that it was their success that tore them apart, and that they have to get over their individual careers and pride to reunite them. And what exactly would Floyd, Zoot, Lew, et al's role be that makes them into the "Boba Fett/antiheroes" of the piece? Just one-liners, or would their roles be more significant than in say, MTM?

I am intrigued by it....my other concern is that the AICN article is from 1999, and the ideas behind it go back years before that...I'm wondering how much movement there is on this front right now. I'd be all for it five years from now (or sooner, hopefully)...I've just learned to take my Muppety rumors with a healthy dose of skepticism. I learned it from "Muppets From Space" and "Kermit's Swamp Years," btw...I wasn't born with it.

Quinnnnnnnn

Drtooth

Reaction score
Muppets Cheapest movie is the one I'd want to see. Maybe they can work in the original "Muppets In Space" script (see this sites collection center's review of the Muppets jelly jars released in 98 for more info). I'd just love a part where the thing runs completly over buget, and one character (Gonzo) has to play all the roles at once, and splices in old "B-Movie" footage. I'd love to also see spliced in clips from other Muppet Movies redubbed by Gonzo doing everyone else's voices.

Muppets Next Movie, would be cool, if we are insured that Janice, Dr. Teeth, and Scooter (among others) would be involved.

Muppet Haunted house could work, if it's like a direct to video Halloween special.

Muppet Time travel could be, at least cute, if they go back in time to the 50's and meet Yorick, Sam, and the original Kermit (though it's awfully close to the Chipmunks' parody of Back to the Future).

I don't know. I just would have liked to see a script for "Muppets In Space."

matleo

Reaction score
Originally posted by Gonzo
And what exactly would Floyd, Zoot, Lew, et al's role be that makes them into the "Boba Fett/antiheroes" of the piece? Just one-liners, or would their roles be more significant than in say, MTM?
I don't know about Lew, but since the reviewer mentioed him, he obviously has some role in probably on par with his role in GMC. being a favorite character of mine I'd love ot seehim. Same goes for Zoot and Floyd, but to put this more into Muppet terms I think it would be kind of like how people took to Pepe in MFS. He wasn't really the star of the film, but he was certainly the most loved character in that movie....a cult character.

I agree with you Quinn, about taking Muppet rumors (especially film rumors) with a grain of salt. My original contact with MC came through trying to track down rumors on MFS and there were a lot of things we heard about at that time that sounded like it was going to be the best Muppet movie ever, but then things got edited and so forth. Still it is fun to speculate a little on what could be.

--Matt

beaker

Reaction score
JHC needs to run a conest for fans to send in script ideas...
as non of the above mentioned script ideas seem like the new direction the Muppets need.

I'm very curious about the fox show...I hope its very over the top, loaded with for the fans fan goodies, lot sof brought back from oblivion cameos(like koozebanians, frackles, etc)

For a movie I propose what Ive been saying for several years. A joint JHC/Creature Shop thing. Instead of some lame human actors like in every film theyve done, the antagonists should be like Skeksis or something...give it a really urgent edge to it instead of some bumbly bad guy played by Wilford Brimley.

I'm very concerned the next feature could be something we'd be collectively saying 'What have they done???' To combat this, they need to really push the envelope. Perhaps even adapt that edgy cinematic style seen on a Michael Mann or Spike Jonze film. I for one would like to see Being John Malkovich's Spike Jonze direct a Muppet film. It should also be "PG" not "G". this would allow for more dramam and stuff.

I also dont think the Muppet characters should be contained to just Muppet gang films. I can totally see a Swingers/MAde type comedy starring Pepe and a human actor. Hey, why not...
as they say in "Life as a Pet" From KSY "youve got to think outside the pond"

matleo

Reaction score
Hey Cory,
I actually thought long and hard about your post before I responded to it. mainly cause I had to go to work but that was a good thing cause it gave me time to think. There are a few places I at first disagreed with you but actually found a middle ground that I think would make for an intersting film. First off, I think the Muppets are stuck with a real catch-22 situation. Do you push the envelope (and risk fans saying "but that's not the Muppets') or do you stay true to from (and risk fans saying "been there, done that") you have to walk a tight rope between the two. Case in point, MFS was supposed to be a 'return to basics' kinda film with the characters playin themselves but they also abandoned a lot of things like centering the film on Gonzo and ditching musical numbers and they got ridiculed for that too. Muppets Tonight faced similiar compliants. So what do you do? I don't know if the idea of doing a full-blown out fantasy film with fantasy villains (ie Skeksis-type creations) appeals to me because part of the Muppets charm for me is that they exist in this our world and interact in it. When you enter another creature type thing, you either a) end up entering in another design element I tihnk would clash with the deisgn of the muppets and look odd or b) end up placing the muppets in a fantasy setting thus subtracting from their reailty. However, I started thinking about some of my favorite things from MTI, like Blind Pew, the pirates, and old Joe from MCC and was wondering if maybe you could find a balance. I liekd that MTI's villiains were both human and Muppet. I liekd that there was mix of threats and I thought you could do a good design through the Muppet workshop that would walk that line. Let's say creating darker Muppets. you know likje a lind Pew or an Uncle Deadly kind of character. Furthermore, cosidering the amount it cost just to produce a Muppet movie plus the costs of creature shop creations, when you realisethat Muppet films traditionally don't do well at the box office, form a business standpoint I don't think it woul be a good idea.

I also don't think you need to go with a PG rating in order to get drama. Fiirat off, again part of the Muppets appeal is that they are meant for a family audience and when you add in that PG, you start subtracting half of you target audience. Second, I think that MTi and MCC were very dramatic stories in their own right with some very intense scenes and both of those held a G rating. I tihn one of the things that impressed me most about Brian Henson as a director wasthat eh wasn't afraid to handle drama with the Muppets and I think it worked quite well. I think people's problems with these two films was that it wasn't the Muppets playing the Mupets but rather the Muppets playing an already established story and characters. this brigns us back to the point about the Muppets trying to think outside the box. Realise it or not, both of these films were they're attempt to do seomthign different, to treat the Mpupets as actors and see how they handled roles and it's what they criticized for. So when yo think outside the box, you have to think is this soemthign our fans are going to like or not and that's a tough call to make.

I like your choice of potential directors. I kinda wonder what Spike Jonez would do with them considering the potentially dark tone of a lot of his work. Can I make another recommendation? How about Terry Gilliam directing a Muppet film? He has an extensive background in make-up, special effects, animation and puppetry. And most of his films walk a line between the dark dramatic and absurdly silly (ie Eric the Viking, Adventures of Baron Munchausen, 12 Monkeys). He's a member of Monty Python so I think he'd be very in touch with their sensibilites but his ability to set the mood of a shot would also be of great use in a more drmatic sense. I think he'd be a marvelous choice for a Muppet director. I really tihnk he (more than most others) would be able walk that tightrope between going in a different direction and remaining true to the characters. Anyway, that's just my opinion. I actually like a lot of your ideas, but liek I said I think you need to find that common ground between pushing the edge and staying tru to the Muppets. Anyway, that's my two cents.

--Matt

Gorgon Heap

Reaction score
My vote goes for Cheapest! Just loved the premise and sound of that one.

Of course, if Next Muppet Movie means prominent roles for some of the lesser-known/oft forgot about Muppets, I'd consider this one too.

David "Gorgon Heap" Ebersole

beaker

Reaction score
Matt

Hey lone mantis of the apocalypse! It's funny, in the haste of a clouded weekend of KSY disarray, I most likely sounded bitter and alienated for a fleeting moment in an email or a few posts. One's thoughts can be misqued in a time of percieved heat.

But my goodness Matt, I could not agree more with you are give loud applause to ya my man...

this post is most eloquent! Terry Gilliam!!!

>>I really tihnk he (more than most others) would be able walk that tightrope between going in a different direction and remaining true to the characters. Anyway, that's just my opinion. I actually like a lot of your ideas, but liek I said I think you need to find that common ground between pushing the edge and staying tru to the Muppets. <<<

Couldnt agree with you more! gilliam(Baron, 12 Monkeys) or even Spike Jonze might be able to find a tight rope walk between traditional trilogy Muppet films and something new, clever, and edgy. To clarify, the inclusion of creature shop in a Muppet film for Skeksis like antagonists didnt mean I wanted a Fantasy film. It would still take place in real life New York or somewhere. Anyways, your sense of what might work in regards to Gilliam helming a Muppet project is most impressive. Some might not pick up that one would need a out there director that could capture that sense of strange starkness and offbeat humour.

A nexus of Muppet films is love, friendship, and adventure...oh and music, that is all central.

As for MFS, it lacked basic Muppet ingredients. Though I loved a lot of it, especially the first 20 minutes. Yes a new film would be classic vs. new, but if you strike a balance, like I hope they do with the upcoming Fox Show, gold will be struck and new fans will hopefully be a given.

As for the G rated thing and family films argument...
well int his day and age a film can be 'pg-13' and still be very family oriented. But youre right, handled right a G film could be very edgy and something new while still keeping it, well G.

Salmoto

Reaction score
What puzzled me about MFS was that the meaner, more adult Muppets like Rizzo, Statler and Waldorf were kept out of the main flow of action while they focused on a core group of kinder sweeter Muppets like Kermit, Gonzo, Fozzie, Bunson and Beaker. The reason Pepe was so applauded in that movie was becuase he was the only Muppet in that niceness group that had an attitude, and it seems almost every joke was played off of him in some way. Dr. Van Neuter was done wrong, I think they attempted his persona from Muppets Tonight; someone who was trying to be scary, but wasn't truly scary. His cameo in MFS involved him making bad jokes, falling for every dumb ploy by Gonzo and Rizzo, and reenacting ID4. There was a missed oppertunity to make the audience gasp and sympatize with Gonzo being strapped to a gurney by a madman there.

So the reason MFS didn't work cause it lacked bite, same with KSY apperanly (Haven't seen it yet so I'm not sure) If I had to pick a single script, I'd go with Brian Lynche's The Next Muppet Movie. Brian Lynch is a hilarious writer, who's independant projects "Big Helium Dog" and "Angry Naked Pat" are edgy and comical without dipping into potty humor. (Granted, Angry Naked Pat is always naked, but the jokes in the comic are more about making fun of pop culture icons.) Tie in that script with a good director and we may just see an audience look back upon the Muppets with genuine joy.

Chilly Down

Reaction score
I'd go with Cheapest. That's a Jim/Juhl/Oz idea. Plus, the thought of how Gonzo could mess up the movie seems like practically limitless comic material. Reminds me of the heyday of TMS.

Next Muppet Movie could be good if it's really gutsy, as some have said, but I fear that it would more likely be redundant of what we've already seen too many times before. Haunted House just sounds kinda weird, and also conjures up memories of the Muppet Monster Adventure game, which I hear wasn't that great. Time Travel -- not enough known about it. It could be a brilliant spoof of sci-fi movies, or a cheap advertisement for a game based on the same idea, depending on how it's handled.

Regarding the "G"/"PG" issue: while the notion of cute Muppets interacting with the darker Creature Shop characters is intriguing, the mainstream audience hasn't reacted well to those type of creations (unless Henson's doing it for someone else, oddly enough). Hence the box-office failures of both Dark Crystal and Labyrinth. However much one may personally like these films, the fact is that the Muppets are in too unstable of a position themselves to add further box-office poison by telling parents, "It's a new Muppet film, but you can't even take your youngest kids to it!"

I think it's entirely possible to generate proper suspense without getting very creepy. Look at the Toy Story movies. Everyone remembers how cute and fun they were, but they had genuinely menacing villains without going over the line. The climaxes of both films were nail-biting suspenseful and funny at the same time. I'd love to see a Muppet film with that kind of ending. Of course, I'm not sure how that would work with "Cheapest," since it's just about Gonzo making a movie. (Actually, I have an idea, but it's too long to go into right now.)

If they do want to have scarier, Uncle Deadly-like Muppets in the next film, may I suggest the JHH characters? They had a very specific design to them -- they were much harder-edged than anything we'd seen in a Muppet before or since, yet they still had kind of a Muppety look to them. The mass audience didn't warm up to them, so why not bring them back as the heavies? The fans would love the return of these characters, and the rest of the audience would be none the wiser -- they'd just think they were new Muppet characters.

I have more to say, but I gotta run. Great discussion!

matleo

Reaction score
Chilly

Oh! I liek the idea of using some of the JHH characters. That's interesting. I know Zondra and Chip both appeared in MFS and I heard Chip had an actual scene that got cut. But yeah, that could be interesting.

Sal
I had heard that about Lynch's work but am unfamilar with any of it myself. Actually the story surrounding this script is that he had written it as a sample script to send to studios. Henso got wind of it and loved it and of course bought it. BUt mainly he had written it because he was a fan of the Muppets. So I'm really interested in seeing this. Nest to that, "Cheapest" is the other one I'd want to see.

Cory
Glad yo uliked thew idea of using Gilliam. I actually had that inspiration a few weeks ago when I was watching a special on Monty Python and had kind of forgotten that I had it. So I think what I'd want to see in a new film is Terry Gilliam direct a script by Brian Lynch starring the Muppets!!!! Yeah!!! ow that would rock!!!