1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Which movies and TV shows were on "Muppet Babies"?

Discussion in 'Muppet Babies' started by manoftheSTREET, Aug 21, 2004.

1. manoftheSTREET

manoftheSTREET New Member

When I say that, I mean featured in clips. They used so many...I just want to try and make a list, and I was wondering if you, my fellow "Muppet Babies" fans could help me.

This much I do know...

They used clips from:

The original "Star Wars" trilogy
    "Raiders Of The Lost Ark"
    "E.T"
    "Family Ties"
    "The Cosby Show"
    The Lionel Richie video "Dancing On The Ceiling"
    The "Weird" Al Yankovic video "Eat It"
    "Pretty In Pink"

I know there were plenty more. Could I have some help?

Sincerely,

John "manoftheSTREET" Kilduff
  2. erniebert1234ss

erniebert1234ss Active Member

How about these?

-Gertie the Dinosaur (albeit sound-ized)
    -When the Cat's Away (MM cartoon I think, during the Gonzo dream sequence when Irving Mouse pulls Gonzo through the mousehole in "GMCS")
    -Silent Movie in Gonzo's Flipbook ("GMCS" also!)
    -Phantom of the Opera (numerous times, most famously in the "Daily Muppet" episode)

Any help?

BJ
  3. GonzoLeaper

GonzoLeaper Well-Known Member

there were a ton all right!

well, you already said most of my favorites. On the 5th. season "Beauty and the Schnoz" episode, there is a clip from the 1987-1990 live action Beauty and the Beast show. There's also a clip of Steve Martin in the 1987 movie Roxanne.

Another good episode is "Muppet Babies: The Next Generation", which has tons of sci-fi references, including Star Wars, Star Trek, Star Trek: The Next Generation, and possibly Doctor Who or Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure, and of course, The Jetsons. And Indiana Jones. Although I don't remember if there were any actual clips from any of these shows and movies. There might have been.

I'm pretty sure there were clips from the Godzilla movies and maybe the Back to the Future movies? I'm sorry. :sympathy: I'll have to watch some more episodes to really remember most of them. :o :flirt:

Check out www.tvtome.com and look at their Muppet Babies episode guide. It's actually pretty decent and lists some of the times one of the Muppet Babies episodes has clips from other things in it.
  4. GonzoLeaper

speaking of which...

I was just looking at the Muppet Babies episode guide at www.tvtome.com and I just realized that Robin shows up in an episode! :) That is cool!
    It's neat to see all the characters that made it onto the show. Kermit, Miss Piggy, Gonzo, Fozzie, Rowlf, Animal, Scooter, Skeeter, Nanny, Uncle Statler, Uncle Waldorf, Bean Bunny, Bunsen, Beaker, and Robin!

(I wonder if Link Hogthrob or Dr. Julius Strangepork ever showed up! They could have done a Star Trek parody on the Swinetrek with First Mate Piggy. And it seems like the Muppet Babies parodied Star Trek a lot!)
    Or maybe the baby Electric Mayhem! (Even though technically, Janice, Zoot, Floyd, and Dr. Teeth are supposed to be older than most of the other Muppets, although I never really think about that too much. Except for obvious ones like Fozzie and his mom, I think they're all pretty much about the same age.)

Maybe Baby Lew Zealand could show up with his boomerang fish! That would have been funny. Or Baby Tom could come by for a visit. (Baby Swedish Chef, that is).
    :cool:
  5. GonzoLeaper

and

I guess Camilla technically makes an appearance too. :halo:
  6. GonzoLeaper

Baby Janice?

I saw this listed at this site. http://members.kingston.net/chloe/Mup/MB_bios.html

Janice - in one or two episodes (I'm not sure of the exact number) of the final season Janice (from the Muppet band Dr. Teeth and the Electric Mayhem) appeared as a Muppet Baby. I don't remember what her story was (whether she was a relative, a kid from down the street like Bean, or what).

Does anyone know for sure if Janice showed up on Muppet Babies? Because that would be totally cool, fer sure! :flirt: :sing:
  7. Klonoa

Klonoa New Member

I think they had film clips from King Kong on several occaisions.

Anyone remember the episode where they all play video games? (Pretendo). So...many...game...references.

--Klonoa
    My favorite was "The Adventure of Link Sausage"
  8. manoftheSTREET

I recall the episode "Elm Street Babies" used footage from the sequel to "Teen Wolf".

I think one episode had some clips from "Pee-Wee's Playhouse".

Finally, for now, one episode had concert footage of Steve Martin talking about the arrow in his head.

Sincerely,

9. McFraggle

McFraggle Active Member

They also had clips from the Johnny Carson-era "Tonight Show."
  10. erniebert1234ss

There actually was a Pigs in Space clip in the last episode, "Eight Flags over the Nursery" (Babyland ep). When Piggy is summarily PO'ed, Kermit draws some Froggon to make the episode more exciting. Link Hogthrob and Dr. Strangepork make an appearance too! That help?

BJ
  11. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

The Pigs in Space clip you refer to is from the short lived Muppet Babies and Monsters hour, also using a clip of Kermit PI.

There were numerous clips used from 3 Stooges shorts (aptly fitting, as I've mentioned Jefferey Scott was Moe's grandson).

Then of course, there was the random public domain clips they used. In the episode where they ordered a play house from a cereal box, and dream of what it's like, Fozzie dreams he's a Mickey Mouse club parody. During which time they show a black and white cartoon, which used clips from the old "Popeye meets Ali Baba's fourty theives" cartoon, the clock pulling it's numbers with its hands and hides, the painting of a man in a turban flipping himself over to face the wall, and (I think) a coat rack running away and a guy in a turban jumping into a flower pot were used.

In the Daily Muppet a short clip of Oscar the Grouch was used.

I also recall clips of "hey Verne, It's Ernest" being used in one episode, but I'm really fuzzy on that one.

I know Spiderman was animated into an episode (and Stan Lee made a live action appearance) but that's probably because Marvel was the production company!
  12. manoftheSTREET

With the talk of appearances by live-action Muppets and the mention of Stan Lee, I'll toss in something else I remember.

In the episode "A Punchline To The Tummy", there are live-action cameos by Whoopi Goldberg and the late John Ritter (as themselves being talked to by Baby Gonzo as a talent agent in a fantasy sequence) and "M-B" voice veteran Dave Coulier as a comedy club M.C. The funniest part of his cameo is his reactions to Baby Fozzie's bombing. He becomes so fed up he throws the milk carton he was drinking out of (I found it funny).

Sincerely,

13. erniebert1234ss

Nice going y'all!

BJ
  14. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

I can't believe we forgot the most obvious one....

GHOSTBUSTERS!

In 2 different episodes, I believe, too. One episode featured the clip of Slimer (also used in the theme song) and another featured the Staypuft marshmallow man.

There was also a few clips of "attack of the Killer Tomatoes" used in an episode... can't recall it too well, but the scene had Fozzie at the Hollywood bowl, and every joke he told enraged tomatoes. He captured them in... well... a ketchup bottle!
  15. goshposh

goshposh Member

i know in one episode gonzo was mr spock and kermit was captain kirk and they showed actuall footage of the enterprise from the original star trek.
  16. Beaker & Gonzo

Beaker & Gonzo New Member

I know some clips from some Charlie Chaplin films were shown. Also, if I'm not mistaken, some clips of the Chicago Bears were shown in the family tree episode. And I believe, some of the characters from the comic strip "Blondie" were featured in a much later episode.
  17. McFraggle

McFraggle Active Member

I remember the Chaplin and "Star Trek" episodes. :)
  18. erniebert1234ss

the "Star Trek" episode was called "Muppet Babies: The Next Generation" and was a science-fiction romp through and through.

BJ
  19. GonzoLeaper

Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom!

Well, I just watched Season 1, episode 4 of "Muppet Babies" entitled "Raiders of the Lost Muppet" (wonder what movie they were referencing there :) ) and besides the clip from Raiders of the Lost Ark of Kermit swinging away from the big boulder in the opening credits, there were a bunch of cool scenes from Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom in the movie. (which was very current at the time of this episode, seeing as how the series started in 1984, the same year the movie came out.) There were scenes of the Thugee cult worshippers around the kali idol as well as the mine cart chase. It was quite cool to see an Indiana Jones inspired episode of Muppet Babies. You could also easily tell in the animated scenes with Kermit the Frog as Indy that the guys chasing them were supposed to be animated versions of Mola Ram and the Thugees. :concern: Of course, Indiana Kermit and friends escaped! :D
    (Very good episode, as they all are.)
  20. Beauregard

Beauregard Well-Known Member

Wow, wish I could see some more of these. I've only seen three and two of them were 'schooly' type ones with Stadler and Waldorf teaching the kids bout stuff.

I loved Muppet Babies: Next Generation, thou.