1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

Which Sesame CD's are out of production?

Discussion in 'Sesame Merchandise' started by Larxene, Sep 24, 2007.

1. Larxene Member

As I near the end of my Sesame Record collecting, I'm going to go into getting the CDs and it would help to know which ones are no longer being made or are hard to find. Can anyone help?
  2. Drtooth Well-Known Member

I don't know if any have been out of print for a while, and if they were, they could be rereleased under the Genius lable.

Personally, any CD besides Platnum (one or two), the Best of Elmo, Kid's favorite songs, and Songs from the Street, are tricky to find. I remember I had to special order Born to Add.
  3. heralde Well-Known Member

Most of them are difficult to find, unless you go to places like Ebay or Amazon. And the greatest hits CDs that are out mostly feature Elmo, heh.
  4. Larxene Member

Looks like I'll be clearing out FYE then - they had a large variety and if the non-Elmo ones are HTF then I better grab them before they go poof!
  5. heralde Well-Known Member

I've often had that sense of panic when collecting as well, hehe. Good luck! :)
  6. Drtooth Well-Known Member

It seems that it isn't the fault of SW on this one, but the stores. They only really sell the ones they think will sell... and right next to them are a million BRatz and Barney CD's that never sell....

I went to Barnes and Nobel and saw an impressive selection of SS disks, including the Best ofs of the Count, Cookie Monster, and Oscar.
  7. heralde Well-Known Member

It does depend on what store you happen to walk into. I was looking through one random Barnes and Noble and to my amazement they had the soundtrack to Follow That Bird! I personally hadn't seen it in any other store and didn't even realize it was available.

I also found 1978 Sesame Street audio cassette tape at my library's store, I was very happy about that! (And I hope it works, I haven't been able to listen yet hehe). So you just have to keep an eye out and research the various odd places that might carry such things.
  8. Larxene Member

It likely does matter. Some stores don't carry kids music at all! But I think that has more to do with the decline of children's entertainment than anything else :(
  9. minor muppetz Well-Known Member

With the exception of Songs from the Street, those albums ar ethe ones that I most commonly see in stores these days. I have also seen Hot! Hot! Hot! Dance Songs in a few different stores a few years ago. Back in 2004, there were two new Sesame Street CD releases, A Celbration of Me, Grover! and Happy Birthday from Sesame Street, and I've only seen those in a few stores on a few occassions.

It seems like in the last few years it has also been harder to find certain Sesame Street DVDs. Back in 2004 it was easy to find most of the DVDs that were available, though many stores only sold certain Sesame Street DVDs, and now it seems like more and more are becomming harder to find, even in stores that sell big selections of Sesame Street DVDs, like Toys R Us. A few years ago, Wal-Mart sold a lot of Sesame Street DVDs, but now it seems like Wal-Mart only sells a select few, and mostly recent DVDs.

I wonder if any of the DVDs are out of print, or if they are just too hard to find. I could see if Genius wanted to get older ones sold and then rerelease the older DVDs, but I believe that it started to get harder to find certain DVDs before Genius got the DVD rights to Sesame Street.
  10. Larxene Member

I had to buy the Grover CD off ebay, I didn't even know it existed (and I'm a HUGE Grover fan). The Happy Birthday CD was at FYE. Kinda disappointed it's missing a track that was on the LP.

Our WalMart carries NO Sesame Street, how sad is that?
  11. Drtooth Well-Known Member

You know... when Tower Records went out of Business, one store had so many copies of FTB they sold them for 2 bucks? And since I had no money that day, and I never went back before it closed down, I missed that oppertunity. And it still makes me angry.

I would say this.... now that genius entertainment is supposed to release CD's or something, maybe you can look in clearance stores for the CD's. That's what happened to all the Muppet Show DVD's when Disney bought the muppets....
  12. heralde Well-Known Member

One thing I've learned when hunting for Muppet stuff, is sometimes if you don't act quickly, you will miss opportunities. And on top of that, you have to keep your financial priorities in mind lol.
  13. Larxene Member

Oh yeah, I already know my trip to FYE will likely cost $100 unless there's a sale. I'll have to watch my spending for the rest of the month but I'd rather drown in music anyhow :cool:
  14. Drtooth Well-Known Member

Well, the Children's section is pretty much designated to Disney music (which sometimes is in the soundtrack section) and various really really bad children's musicians that think they are Raffi, but sadly aren't. Plus, as I stated, when it comes to SS they only carry the most popular selling titles. So usually, you just have to sepcial order somtehing if you really want it.

But you think that's bad, ever see the pathetic little "Ghetto" they house the Comedy albums in? And it's usually just larry the Cable guy and random assorted other...
  15. heralde Well-Known Member

That's true, comedy albums has taken a dip in popularity in recent years.
  16. sesameguy Member

I think we may have shopped at the same Tower Records, Drtooth! I remember seeing literally stacks of "Follow that Bird" CDs for sale at the stores in my area. I have no idea why they would have so many spare copies of that one. I wonder what they did with all the copies that they didn't sell.

As mentioned, collecting Sesame Street CDs from music stores is very "hit and miss." If you have a particular album that you're looking for, it may be easier to order it online. I sometimes check out the Sesame CDs when I shop, and I seldom find "Platinum" or "Bert and Ernie's greatest hits." Those are two that I think any die-hard Sesame fan would want!

=======================================

Here's my posting about Tower going out of business:

http://heroshaven.blogspot.com/2006/12/farewell-tower-records.html
  17. sesameguy Member

I've found that classic children's albums are some of the hardest to find on CD. Not only Sesame Street, but there are very few albums of classic kids' shows that are available on CD in any form. Along with old religious albums and, as mentioned, comedy albums, those can be some of the rarest to find on CD.
  18. Drtooth Well-Known Member

With the DVD's it may be a little of both. I have seen some afforementioned bargain stores (like TJ Max) carry a lot of SS DVD's lately. I once had the oppertunity to pick up "Celebrate around the world" for 5 bucks on clearance, but then that would have required me to NOT see the TMNT movie, and that's just crazy talk.

But usually when someone gets the rights to releasing DVD's they put all the ones currently in production (or just stopped production) on clearance. Once again, Sony's Muppet DVD's after Disney bought them out.

So I'm guessing with CD's they just stopped production on, we'll either see reprints under the Genius lable, or we'll see all the available CD's marked down. Then of course, they could still be producing them, and they will cost the same ammount anyway.
  19. Larxene Member

Cleaned out FYE Today:

Oscar's Trashy Songs
    Fiesta Songs
    Splish Splash
    Numbers
    C is For Cookie
    Elmopalooza (ordered)
    Elmo's Lowdown Hoedown (Ordered)
    Elmo's Favorite Sing A Longs (Ordered)

Aside from those, they had in stock:

The Best of Elmo