Which SS christmas special do you prefer?

Pug Lover

Reaction score
Elmo Saves Christmas or the 1978 special Christmas Eve On Sesame Street?
I would choose the latter.Having viewed Elmo Saves Christmas for the first time this year,it had a good storyline,but as I had mentioned in a previous topic,for some odd reason Ernie and Bert had no dialogue.Christmas Eve On Sesame Street has Mr.Hooper,David,and the original SS cast that I myself grew up with.It's almost like a childhood reunion for me.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I like Christmas Eve on Sesame Street better.

Did you know that there are two other Sesame Street specials? There's A Special Sesame Street Christmas and Elmo's World: Happy Holidays. I haven't seen either special. Of course, I wouldn't be surprised if the majority of us haven't seen A Special Sesame Street Christmas.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
Of course, CESS was a definite classic! That's the best in my book. "Elmo Saves Christmas" was fairly pretty good too. "Elmo's World: Happy Holidays" was pretty weak compared to the other two. Of course I haven't seen "A Special Sesame Street Christmas" so I can't comment there. Though I can't help but wonder why it's never been released on VHS or DVD.

superfan

Reaction score
CESS all the way! I have the hardcover book too! A real steal from the Salvation Army at $2.
True Blue Miracle, Keep Christmas With You, I Hate Christmas and Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas are on the Merry Christmas Sesame Street album...which I also own. And play for the kids at daycare. I wish I had a tv/vcr to show them the movie.

BEAR

Reaction score
I like both of them quite a bit actually. Its difficult to say one is better than the other because they are so completely different and have different themes. CEOSS was the classic though. I suppose if I had to pick only one to watch this year, that would be the one. Very nostalgic and every scene makes me a little misty eyed in some way. Whether its the scene where Linda has taught the kids to sign Bob's song as her Christmas present to him (you can see the excitment in him), Bert and Ernie's final scene, Bert giving his paperclips away, the scene in Gordon's apartment where he gets Big Bird to understand what Christmas is truly about or Big Bird doing his best to figure out the Santa riddle. All are winning moments. Also, I like this movie especially simply because it is the only opportunity I have to see Mr. Hooper. I don't have any of the old episodes on tape (I wish I did so badly) but this is the only "visit" to him I have on no better holiday than CHristmas, and that to me is very special.

P.S. I always had a mini crush on Olivia and her singing "True Blue Miracle" gives me chills.:smile:

BEAR

Reaction score
Forgot to say, I have never seen the Special Sesame Street Christmas Special (or whatever it's called) but I've heard it was mediocre and pretty lousy. Funny piece of trivia, it was Emmy nominated for best special that year and guess what it lost to? Christmas Eve On Sesame Street. How funny is it that Sesame Street lost an Emmy to itself!:wink: :stick_out_tongue:

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
I would choose Christmas Eve on Sesame Street, but not because I have a problem with Elmo or anything. I've actually seen Elmo Saves Christmas and it is really cute, but I grew up with Christmas Eve on SS. I have a tape of it that we taped off of our local PBS when I was about 3 years old and I have memories of dragging out that tape even in the summertime. I just always loved the songs and the storylines. Good messages in that one. It's classic. :smile:

Erine81981

Reaction score
Same here. I have all three of the DVD's that came out in the box set. Got it for Christmas one year. I also have them in the VHS version too. I'm still wanting to get the old vhs version box cover. I'm trying myself to collect all the old vhs. But not get off the subject I love the classic one of all. I would love to see the other one too.

Mickey Moose

Reaction score
Christmas Eve on Sesame Street for me. As a long time fan, it's great to remember Mr. Hooper and a time when Elmo didn't dominate everything. Elmo Saves Christmas was good, but CESS gets the nod from me. I even have the original LP version which includes narration from "Santa Claus"