Which SS christmas special do you prefer?

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
Mickey Moose said:
Christmas Eve on Sesame Street for me. As a long time fan, it's great to remember Mr. Hooper and a time when Elmo didn't dominate everything. Elmo Saves Christmas was good, but CESS gets the nod from me. I even have the original LP version which includes narration from "Santa Claus"
There's an LP version of "Christmas Eve on Sesame Street" where Santa narrates? Could you tell me more about that? I never knew there was another version besides the regular one.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
BEAR said:
Forgot to say, I have never seen the Special Sesame Street Christmas Special (or whatever it's called) but I've heard it was mediocre and pretty lousy. Funny piece of trivia, it was Emmy nominated for best special that year and guess what it lost to? Christmas Eve On Sesame Street. How funny is it that Sesame Street lost an Emmy to itself!:wink: :stick_out_tongue:
If the special is lousy, then I wonder why/ how it got an emmy nomination (though it didn't win). Were there not many good specials from that year to get nominated in the first place?

I wonder what Sesame Workshops opinions of this special are. I wonder if the people at Sesame Workshop hate this as much as George Lucas hates The Star Wars Holiday Special. I also wonder what Jim Henson thought of this special. I knwo that he was too busy working on the more famous SS christmas special to be involved with this, but he must have approved of it.

Does anybody know if Sesame Workshop owns the rights to A Special Sesame Street Christmas, or if the rights are shared with another company? That might explain why it's never been on video (besides the fact that some people think it's lousy, the celebrities dominate the cast, hardly any Muppets appear, it might be dated since Mr. Hooper and David appear, and there are probably music rights issues).

Xerus

Reaction score
Christmas Eve on Sesame Street has always been my favorite since I was a little kid. With the Muppets ice skating, Big Bird and Kermit trying to solve the mystery of Santa Claus, Ernie and Bert giving up their prized possessions for each other and Mr. Hooper returning them, and Cookie Monster trying to write a letter to Santa, but lets his appetite get the best of him. I give that special an A+++++ :smile:

BEAR

Reaction score
It makes sense that Big Bird's stocking is hung at Gordon and Susan's place, but why is Cookie Monster's? I've always wondered about that. Doesn't he have his own apartment? We've seen his family.

StickOfButter

Reaction score
I will always fondly remember the first Xmas special because it featured Mr. Hooper celebrating Chanukah, and as a little Jewish girl, this was the only mention of MY holiday I ever saw on any holiday special for a long time...it felt like a private secret, just for me...

minor muppetz

Reaction score
BEAR said:
It makes sense that Big Bird's stocking is hung at Gordon and Susan's place, but why is Cookie Monster's? I've always wondered about that. Doesn't he have his own apartment? We've seen his family.
I often wonder where that one place where Cookie Monster tried to write a leter, type a letter, and call Santa Clause was. Was that his home?

Mickey Moose

Reaction score
Daffyfan2003 said:
There's an LP version of "Christmas Eve on Sesame Street" where Santa narrates? Could you tell me more about that? I never knew there was another version besides the regular one.
I don't know when it was released, I assume a year or so after the special first aired. I remember I got for Christmas one year as a kid, and used to play it every Christmas. Basically, it uses the same dialouge from the special itself(with some lines edited out for time purposes). And Santa does the narration to explain what's going on(since there is no visual).

I recently found a copy in a used record store a couple of years ago. I can send you the MP3's via e-mail if you like.

BooberFraggless

Reaction score
minor muppetz said:
I often wonder where that one place where Cookie Monster tried to write a leter, type a letter, and call Santa Clause was. Was that his home?
Actually, Believe it or not. That was the original Fix it Shop. I always wondered what Cookie was doing there all by himself, with nobody else around. The Fix it Shop was obviously closed due to the fact that Maria and/or Luis weren't there.

BEAR

Reaction score
BooberFraggless said:
Actually, Believe it or not. That was the original Fix it Shop. I always wondered what Cookie was doing there all by himself, with nobody else around. The Fix it Shop was obviously closed due to the fact that Maria and/or Luis weren't there.

Yeah, that was the Fix-It Shop. I think it even says so in the book version. It is kinda funny that he was there all by himself. Maybe Luis or Maria just let him hang out at the shop to write his letter in peace. Also, what was that window he was in during the "True Blue Miracle" number where The Count walks by and notices Cookie Monster's head randomly peeking out? That wasn't the Fix-It Shop, but what building was it and why was he there? LOL! That is actually one of the funniest parts of the whole movie to me. It was all in Count's expression when he sees CM and does the take to the camera. He looks just as confused as we do and Cookie just seems to be thinking "Hello...Yeah, I'm here. So what?"

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
minor muppetz said:
I've sort of thought that was a schoolroom because of all those lockers there. Just a guess though.