1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Which SST DVD's are worth buying?

Discussion in 'Sesame Merchandise' started by BobThePizzaBoy, Nov 4, 2008.

1. BobThePizzaBoy

BobThePizzaBoy Well-Known Member

So, I already own the two Old School sets but I've been considering building up my Sesame DVD collection but what I specifically want is the discs with mostly older material. So what DVD's would you guys recommend that are heavy on 70's-80's content?
  2. Oscarfan

Oscarfan Well-Known Member

One thing I would suggest is "Kids Favorite Country Songs". Dispite being Elmo centric, it has some pretty nice stuff on it. There are a couple of classic segments in the main program, and several are included as bonuses.
  3. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

Play Along Games and Songs is a great DVD from the '80s that includes advetures with Big Bird, Forgetful Jones and Elmo together, and also several old school sketches.

Sing Along (also '80s I believe) has a lot of the classic adults on the roof with Big Bird, Hoots, Biff and Sully (listen for Jerry Nelson and Richard Hunt accidently being overheard on the soundtrack at the end!)

Sing, Hoot and Howl (1991) has a lot of classic live action segments and memorable moments from Gladys the Cow.
  4. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

Big Bird goes to China and Big Bird goes to Japan. All I can say.
  5. sesameguy

sesameguy Member

"Sing Along" is a good choice - it also features David!

You may already have it, but "Christmas Eve on Sesame Street" has been released to DVD. A true classic! Also features Mr. Hooper and David.

One I enjoy is "Sleepytime stories and songs" (AKA Bedtime Stories & Songs). It includes the original version of "Imagination" sung by Bert and Ernie, and "Dance myself to sleep."

"Count it Higher" features some classic music videos from the show.
  6. Redsonga

Redsonga Active Member

Put Down The Ducky! Is also on DVD :)
  7. heralde

Good choice! And parents would like it too for the celebs. :)
  8. Telly

Telly Active Member

No love for Follow That Bird?
  9. heralde

Lol, very true, though I think maybe people are kinda taking that for granted and are trying to think of more obscure DVDs that are more like regular episodes.
  10. Redsonga

Redsonga Active Member

I think so, Follow That Bird is like the crown jewel of SS DVDs IMHO...Don't Eat The Pictures would be to, if they would only record it onto DVD :sympathy:
  11. zns

zns Well-Known Member

Most definately the Old School box sets (I hope they make more of them soon). I also think another DVD worth buying is "A Celebration of Me Grover". :super:
  12. CoOKiE

CoOKiE Member

I have to suggest (most are repeated... but i'm backing people up on whats REALLY good classic... and not what is classic but may not be worth buying... lol)

Big Bird in China
    Big Bird in Japan
    Christmas Eve on Sesame Street
    Follow that Bird

also to add... i had the video when i was little n watched it over n over... And to be honest... its a coin toss whether everyone would like it though.

Learning About Letters

Its ALL classic. I wanna say it may be 80's... if not earlier.

and

Sesame Street's 25th Birthday A musical Celebration

it has all songs... some of which are old clips like Count's "Batty Bat" song... I THINK Kermit's "Its Not Easy Being Green" is also on it. The one thing that bother'd me was they have another Kermit Song on which was remade and FAR less entertaining... "Do-wop Hop"? If thats the name. I remember in the video with Kermit there were cows and such... at the end, its a photo replica of Kermit being tossed up over and over as to appear jumping lol.
  13. dwmckim

dwmckim Well-Known Member

Actually the really funny thing about Do Wop Hop was that it WASN'T a "poser Kermit" that they had jumping up at the end...it was a real Kermit puppet with legs...and one could clearly see the hole at the bottom where Jim would put his arm in!

Kinda weird to see that...but not nearly as bad as the School Pageant where Herry gets lifted up to the top of the screen...and they didn't even bother to give him any kind of legs...you just saw the Herry puppet with nothing below the waist at all!
  14. Redsonga

Redsonga Active Member

Do Wop Hop was a good song to me, I never saw the hole and I thought it looked like he was jumping just fine :). I think if you don't look for things like that it is better ;).

Another good DVD I just found (that I rated up after a bunch of people gave it one star ratings for being 'old and boring' on amazon-.-) is Sesame Street Celebrates Around the World (aka Sesame Street Stays Up Late! made in '93 not '94 :3)
  15. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

Yeah, that one totally drew the line. "Duh, it old and boring... my daugter only like Elmo" Then buy Elmo's world DVD's and leave the GOOD stuff for the rest of us. No wonder they had to put more warning stickers on Old School Volumes one and two than you'd find on a container of toxic waste. Some idiot like her would probably start a snarf fest petition to make only Elmo videos.

(Note to self, collect all the bad reviews by these clear and obvious first time parents... make a thread about it)

But yeah, that one is a classic. I think it's a total cheat that Elmo has a Mexican cousin, and Pancho, Lola, and Abelardo are no where to be found. But seeing the other international characters is the most fun of the special.
  16. Redsonga

Redsonga Active Member

*hee* When I was little and thought something was boring to start with my ma did a wonderful thing known as nothing and I learned to like most of the shows we watched :). Human beings have not really changed, most of all little ones, so I would think the same thing would happen with them if their parents put an older DVD in for more than five mins. :p
  17. BobThePizzaBoy

Yay! Time to bump a dead thread! :excited:Sooo, I've been trying to look through titles Random House released that are out on DVD now and if I can ask, how many pre-1990 SST specials [as in not My Sesame Street Home Video or Sesame Songs titles] are out there commercially? I've seen DVD's of:Christmas Eve on Sesame StreetBig Bird in ChinaBig Bird in JapanPut Down the DuckieAre there any others?
  18. minor muppetz

minor muppetz Well-Known Member

The following have been released on DVD, but may or may not still be in print (I've seen copis of certain DVDs in Genius Products packaging, but didn't see any onlineinfo before finding them):
    • Christmas Eve on Sesame Street (I saw a copy in new packaging last christmas)
    • Big Bird in China
    • Big Bird in Japan
    • Put Down the Duckie (originally titled Sesame Street, Special)
  19. BobThePizzaBoy

So I'm guessing that is it in the way of pre-1990 specials on DVD. Hmmm, I'll have to be on the lookout for those now.
  20. antsamthompson9

antsamthompson9 Well-Known Member

I would suggest Count on Sports. It has Ernie and Bert as the main characters! Can't go worng with that!