Who is popular?

SSLFan

Reaction score
Okay, I guess I didn't really get my point across or the other thread. My real question I was trying state was who is the most popular charcther in each of the international shows? Sorry if I got you guys off on the wrong track.:embarrassed: It's just a question iv'e wanted to learn for centuries!

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I think you got your point across, I mean after all, it was just like your original thread in the Sesame Street Board, and we knew what you meant there.

Cherrymoon

Reaction score
In Germany, Ernie is the most popular character. He is on every cover of the magazine. They advertised the TMX Ernie. If you do an EBay search with Sesamestrasse and Ernie, you will find alot more entries than on other character. This is also why Ernie and Bert came here to do a whole bunch of short pieces.

SSLFan

Reaction score
So what about the charcthers created for Germany( Samson, Tiffy, Rumpel, etc.)? Are they popular?

Cherrymoon

Reaction score
So what about the charcthers created for Germany( Samson, Tiffy, Rumpel, etc.)? Are they popular?
Short answer: No they are not that popular.

I have seen nothing that would show that they are popular. Tiffy is sorta in retirement. They have taken her back to the US for repairs, but the is no plan to bring her back. Feli Fuli(not spelled correctly) has her own show with two humans. It is basicly an art show. I personally like it.
When it comes to mechandise, the most stuff is Ernie. They have pictures of kids with their collection and mostly the kids all have Ernie doll. Most have a least three Ernie dolls in each picture. Why he is so popular I have no idea. I can not say that he is a typical German character. I know of no one like him at all. Now Bert. Oh their are loads of straight lace people here.
I personally like Wolle(a sheep) and Pferd(German for horse). They seem to have the most screen time.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I love how Ernie is so popular in Germany, that his fame rivals Elmo (does it?)

I think it depends on which show from which country. Big Bird must've been popular in China, since they pretty much begged to have their own Big Bird (not a Parrot or something, the actual Big Bird).

And Elmo must be popular in Africa, since they also have their own Elmo...

muppet maniac

Reaction score
Actually, Ernie AND Bert are very popular in Germany. You'll see them on almost every merchandise. Read one of the Tough Pigs anthologies (the one focused on Ernie and Bert), and you'll see what I mean.

Big Bird, Cookie Monster and Elmo are popular in Japan, although my mother once said it went like this:

-Little kids like Big Bird and Elmo
-Older ones are/evenutally get into characters like Bert and Cookie Monster
-And Oscar is somewhere between those two age groups.

SSLFan

Reaction score
Short answer: No they are not that popular.

I have seen nothing that would show that they are popular. Tiffy is sorta in retirement. They have taken her back to the US for repairs, but the is no plan to bring her back. Feli Fuli(not spelled correctly) has her own show with two humans. It is basicly an art show. I personally like it.
When it comes to mechandise, the most stuff is Ernie. They have pictures of kids with their collection and mostly the kids all have Ernie doll. Most have a least three Ernie dolls in each picture. Why he is so popular I have no idea. I can not say that he is a typical German character. I know of no one like him at all. Now Bert. Oh their are loads of straight lace people here.
I personally like Wolle(a sheep) and Pferd(German for horse). They seem to have the most screen time.
Wow, and I always thought Samson was popular.:stick_out_tongue: :frown: