1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Who is this Big Bag character?

Discussion in 'Family Worlds' started by Philo and Gunge, Mar 28, 2004.

1. The Count

The Count Moderator Staff Member

Sorry pal, can't help you with that one. And what's "Big Bag" anyway?
    Would it count as a Muppet/JHC production?
    Thanks and have a good day.
  2. Infinity Sirius

Infinity Sirius New Member

I remember that it was a puppetry show done in the 1990s and it was shown very early in the morning on the Cartoon Network. It was a show about a Bag doing stuff a kid would do. I don't remember anything specific.
  3. Phillip

Phillip Administrator Staff Member

Yeah, the show was "Big Bag" and produced by CTW for the Cartoon Network.
  4. PePe's Lost Luv

PePe's Lost Luv New Member

5. ChellisPal

ChellisPal Member

Her name is Sofie and was performed by Alice Dinneen.
    She was added as a neighbor in the second season.
    For those of you who dont know, Big Bag was produced by CTW for Cartoon Network and lasted 2 seasons.
    When I interned at CTW 5 yrs ago, I got to look at the whole Big Bag library and had the chance to try on Chelii and Sofie before they were packed away. I really never had the chance to follow the show on CArtoon Network but after watching it, I became very fond of the charcters, especially Chelli (as you can see in my nick) who was wonderfully perfomed by Joey Mazzarino. There is a Chelli doll that was made, and can probably be found on eBay, if your a collector, as well as a hand ful of VHS tapes put out by WB. I have a few on tape myself, including Elmos Visit.
    If any one wants to chat more about it, I'd be happy to answer any questions.
    Hopefully Chelli and Sofie can pop up on the top of the Home Page from time to time, since they are the forgotton Muppet family Members
    Mike
  6. Yeah, I have that Chelli doll but I don't have any Big Bag episodes. I am looking for the Elmo's Visit episode.
  7. Barry Lee

Barry Lee Active Member

Didn't Elmo Appear on the show???
    If he did tell me what he did on the show.
  8. muppet maniac

muppet maniac Well-Known Member

...My guess would be no.
  9. GelflingWaldo

GelflingWaldo New Member

I would say no. Henson was not involved with this at all (unlike Sesame Street, The Muppets, ect). It would be like saying these are hesnons/muppet works: Micky Mouse (since owned by Disney like the Muppets), Dragon Tales (owned by Sesame Workshop like sesame steet), Barney (distribution rights by HIT like the Fraggles)... It is not Henson/Muppet.
  10. MuppetDude

MuppetDude Active Member

I think so. I have several issues of SS Magazine, and those two characters appear. One issue even has a contest for people to name the purple character. In the fine print, the character is labeled as the "Big Bag Muppet".

The design of the characters are very Muppet-like. Didn't Joey Mazzarino play Chelli?
  11. ChellisPal

ChellisPal Member

Big Bag did have the support of the Henson Company, just like Sesame Street. The Muppets used for this show were all built in the same workshop
    as the Sesame guys (before being put into storage by CTW after the show ended they returned from a cleaning from the Henson Co.) Kevin Clash even helped design the look of the characters. Indeed Joey Mazzarino was Chelli. Other puppeteers on the show were Ricky Boyd and Alice Dinneen. And yes Elmo did appear in one episode called "Elmo's Visit" where we found out Elmo and Chelli were pen pals.

If anyone has any other q's about this show just ask and I will see what I can do.
    Mike