Who knows about your fandom?

Hubert

Reaction score
This is a topic I've been thinking about lately, and it really interests me: who knows about your Muppet fandom, and to what extreme do they know about it?

For me, my immediate family obviously knows about my fandom and the extremity of it, as do most of my friends. As for more distant relatives, I don't even bother with it when it comes to the relatives on my dad's side...despite growing up in the time of the Muppets, they're much separated from pop culture to the point where they would just assume that the Muppets are some modern day children's cartoon. As for the other half of my family, they know I'm a Muppet fan and also give me Muppet stuff on occasion, yet I'm not sure that they're entirely aware of just how big of a fan I am.

charlietheowl

Reaction score
My parents and sister know I'm a huge fan, because they see me on the computer checking these boards, or watching TMS online, or wearing Muppety shirts. A lot of my friends know about it as well from me doing the same things up at school last year. Aside from that, no one really knows about it because it doesn't really come up.

Hubert

Reaction score
As for reception of my fandom within these groups, as we might as well venture there, most of my family seems to appreciate my Muppet fandom, with the exceptions being my aunt, who when I mentioned to her about going to see this past Muppet movie, asked me if I was a bit too mature for that, and my cousin, who practically "freaks out" every time she's around while I'm watching the Muppets...she always says that they're "creepy," though half the time I think that's only an excuse for her to not be around me...

Oscarfan

Reaction score
I was pretty quiet about mine until the movie came out and I wouldn't really shut up about it. Then my "Man or Muppet" exploded and being the "Muppet guy" became my thing the rest of senior year, at least among the people in theater. And "Muppet guy" is a good term, not a bad one.

mostlikemokey

Reaction score
Pretty much everyone I know well knows about it, whether they want to or not, lol.

charlietheowl

Reaction score
My sister is highly critical of my Muppet fandom, constantly asserting that it's immature and weird and creepy amongst other things. Yet she is decidedly active in the One Direction shipping fandom and sees nothing weird with it. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Well, unfortunately, sisters are supposed to be problematic, it's in their job descriptions.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I've actually been pretty lucky, my parents have never minded my Muppet interest even when I was older. My Mom actually really admired Jim Henson's work. She would even tell me when something Muppet related came on the TV. It also helped that my Dad is a huge fan of Labyrinth, heck he introduced me to it! :fanatic:

Even fairly recently my Uncle didn't mind getting me the Fraggle Rock boxset for Christmas, lol.

My immediate friends are also big Muppet fans. I'm definitely a little more obsessed than they are, but they're very tolerant, most of the time, hehe.

TheWeirdoGirl

Reaction score
My immediate family definetely knows about my fandom and how extreme it is. Sometimes my sister will tease me about it, or my mom will say something like, "You should be into more grown up things." But all of them do like the Muppets, and they support my fandom. They sometimes buy Muppet stuff for me, and they put up with my Muppet ramblings.

Most of my extended family (those who I see on a regular basis anyway) know, but they don't know the extent. Most of them like the Muppets. But I'm not sure how my grandparents feel about it. They are very conservative, and they didn't let my dad watch the Muppets when he was a kid. They never say anything about it, but I can kinda tell that they don't really approve of my Muppet fandom. :/ But I love them anyway.

The majority of my friends know that I am a Muppet fan. I have a Gonzo tshirt that I like to wear, I sometimes post my Muppet drawings on Facebook, and I bring up the Muppets in conversations sometimes, so it's hard for them not to know. :stick_out_tongue: