1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

Who knows about your fandom?

Discussion in 'Friends and Family' started by Hubert, Nov 10, 2012.

1. Hubert Well-Known Member

This is a topic I've been thinking about lately, and it really interests me: who knows about your Muppet fandom, and to what extreme do they know about it?

For me, my immediate family obviously knows about my fandom and the extremity of it, as do most of my friends. As for more distant relatives, I don't even bother with it when it comes to the relatives on my dad's side...despite growing up in the time of the Muppets, they're much separated from pop culture to the point where they would just assume that the Muppets are some modern day children's cartoon. As for the other half of my family, they know I'm a Muppet fan and also give me Muppet stuff on occasion, yet I'm not sure that they're entirely aware of just how big of a fan I am.
  2. D'Snowth Well-Known Member

Uh, everyone.
  3. charlietheowl Well-Known Member

My parents and sister know I'm a huge fan, because they see me on the computer checking these boards, or watching TMS online, or wearing Muppety shirts. A lot of my friends know about it as well from me doing the same things up at school last year. Aside from that, no one really knows about it because it doesn't really come up.
  4. Hubert Well-Known Member

As for reception of my fandom within these groups, as we might as well venture there, most of my family seems to appreciate my Muppet fandom, with the exceptions being my aunt, who when I mentioned to her about going to see this past Muppet movie, asked me if I was a bit too mature for that, and my cousin, who practically "freaks out" every time she's around while I'm watching the Muppets...she always says that they're "creepy," though half the time I think that's only an excuse for her to not be around me...
  5. Oscarfan Well-Known Member

I was pretty quiet about mine until the movie came out and I wouldn't really shut up about it. Then my "Man or Muppet" exploded and being the "Muppet guy" became my thing the rest of senior year, at least among the people in theater. And "Muppet guy" is a good term, not a bad one.
    newsmanfan likes this.
  6. mostlikemokey Active Member

Pretty much everyone I know well knows about it, whether they want to or not, lol.
  7. charlietheowl Well-Known Member

My sister is highly critical of my Muppet fandom, constantly asserting that it's immature and weird and creepy amongst other things. Yet she is decidedly active in the One Direction shipping fandom and sees nothing weird with it. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.
  8. D'Snowth Well-Known Member

Well, unfortunately, sisters are supposed to be problematic, it's in their job descriptions.
  9. heralde Well-Known Member

I've actually been pretty lucky, my parents have never minded my Muppet interest even when I was older. My Mom actually really admired Jim Henson's work. She would even tell me when something Muppet related came on the TV. It also helped that my Dad is a huge fan of Labyrinth, heck he introduced me to it! :fanatic:

Even fairly recently my Uncle didn't mind getting me the Fraggle Rock boxset for Christmas, lol.

My immediate friends are also big Muppet fans. I'm definitely a little more obsessed than they are, but they're very tolerant, most of the time, hehe.
  10. TheWeirdoGirl Active Member

My immediate family definetely knows about my fandom and how extreme it is. Sometimes my sister will tease me about it, or my mom will say something like, "You should be into more grown up things." But all of them do like the Muppets, and they support my fandom. They sometimes buy Muppet stuff for me, and they put up with my Muppet ramblings.

Most of my extended family (those who I see on a regular basis anyway) know, but they don't know the extent. Most of them like the Muppets. But I'm not sure how my grandparents feel about it. They are very conservative, and they didn't let my dad watch the Muppets when he was a kid. They never say anything about it, but I can kinda tell that they don't really approve of my Muppet fandom. :/ But I love them anyway.

The majority of my friends know that I am a Muppet fan. I have a Gonzo tshirt that I like to wear, I sometimes post my Muppet drawings on Facebook, and I bring up the Muppets in conversations sometimes, so it's hard for them not to know. :p
  11. D'Snowth Well-Known Member

If you ask me, this seems like a relatively redundant thread. I'm just sayin', it'd be like if we had a thread asking if anybody knows if we breathe.
    newsmanfan likes this.
  12. Oscarfan Well-Known Member

SHHH. Mums the word!
  13. miss kermie Well-Known Member

Everyone does! In fact, my gym teacher saw the muppet commercial, and then said she thought of me!
  14. robodog Active Member

I had a wierd reverse situation with my mom. It was I that didn't know SHE liked the Muppets. Back when the last movie came out I mentioned something about wanting to see it. She told me she wanted to see it too. Turns out all those times she took me to see the original movies when I was little that she enjoyed them as much as I did. She also liked Labyrinth. She took me to see that one too when I was nine.
    Sadly she'll never get to see The Muppets. She died of cancer several months ago before it came on DVD or Pay Per View.
  15. CaseytheMuppet Well-Known Member

Everybody knows I like the Muppets in my grade. It's actually a good thing, because I can relate to my teachers about them. :)
  16. Hubert Well-Known Member

That was always a fun thing for me in school...me and my English teacher would often go into a full out Muppet conversation in the middle of class. :)
    CaseytheMuppet likes this.
  17. CaseytheMuppet Well-Known Member

Yeah, it's a good icebreaker. There are always a few who like to talk about it with me. By the way, this is a great thread. Thanks for making it! :)
  18. Hubert Well-Known Member

Talk about differing opinions...one user calls this great and another calls it relatively redundant... :p
    CaseytheMuppet likes this.
  19. Muppet fan 123 Well-Known Member

My family knows about it. Everybody in my grade and the other grades too also know about it, becuase last year, when it became known that I was a Muppet fan, I was given one heck of a year. (And I mean that in a bad way).
    I haven't really been bothered this year, maybe they all just grew up already. But it seems to be that everyone has a problem with my fandom. The new movie definatley helped that, becuase when my family saw it, they all loved it.

But every once in a while, I get a stupid remark about the Muppets. It's been getting less and less, but still...
  20. Slackbot Well-Known Member

People know. I make no effort to hide it, and if they don't like it, ain't no skin off my nose. It's something I enjoy, and if they want to criticize it, I won't even bother to defend it. If they'd rag on me for liking Muppets, then their opinion ain't important to me.