Who likes Popeye?

somethingofafan

Reaction score
Dantecat said:
Who own's the rights of the vintage Popeye cartoons :confused: You know,The ones from the 30's,40's,and the 50's.

Does Paramount own them?
Those were sold to Associated Artists Productions, which sold them to Turner, whose holdings were bought by Warner. So WB owns them now (Though King Features Syndicate still owns the characters).

MartyMuppets

Reaction score
JaniceFerSure said:
Robin Williams made a very awesome Popeye.Anyone seen the movie?Great cast & great songs.
Popeye is excellent and that movie was wonderful Dee.
I was told that only Robin Williams was willing to play the sailor man. Everybody else who were offered the role said it wasn't their thing.

If there had ever been a sequel made I would have loved the Sea Hag to have played a part in the story.

And like you said great songs.
I wonder if the movie would have worked successfully converted into a broadway stage musical?

lowercasegods

Reaction score
I am a HUGE Popeye fan, folks; from the original comic strip (titled "Thimble Theatre"), his animated cartoon (originally produced by Betty Boop creators Fleischer Studios, who did the BEST version) and the movie (which at one point was supposed to star Dustin Hoffman as Popeye and Lilly Tomlin as Olive Oyl. Be thankfull we got Robin Williams and Shelly Duvall!).

I even bought a one-shot comic book published in the late 90's that was a 70th anniversary celebration where Popeye and Olive Oyl got married on Sweethaven Island. The book actually sucked, though. They tried to draw all the characters in a semi-realistic style, which did not work at all. But the writing was okay, as it was done by one of comic book's best scribes, Peter David (Incredible Hulk).

And if you guys are ever interested, the town of Chester, Illinois, where Popeye creator E.C. Segar grew up, has a huge Popeye statue commemorating the character and his artist. It's a great tourist site which I'd love to visit sometime.

Here's a drawing I did a year or so back of Popeye and Bluto.

http://www.jayfosgitt.com/LeftOvers/Sketchbook/SB25.html

This is a great topic! Let's keep it going!

MartyMuppets

Reaction score
That's a great picture lowercasegods.

Bluto looks so mad and Popeye is ready to make him even madder by thrashing the daylights out of him like he always does.

You're right. This is a very good chat topic. I hope people keep responding.

Tim Kelly

Reaction score
I adore Popeye. Last night, I watched one of my all-time favorite Popeye cartoons, "Ballet De Spinach". It never fails to crack me up.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
You mean Popeye the Sailorman *toot toot*? The Popeye the Sailorman *toot toot*?

Popeye must be one of several cartoon characters from my parent's generation that I'm familiar with, up there with Felix the Cat, Rocky and Bullwinkle, Crusader Rabbit, etc etc.

lowercasegods

Reaction score
doctort13 said:
I have enjoyed Popeye since childhood. I recently purchased the restored Fleischer Studio Popeye DVD. It looks amazing and is packed with extras!
Wow! I just clicked the link to check out that DVD you mentioned, and it sounds like what us Fleischer Popeye fans have been looking for for years! Great find, muh man! Thanks for telling us about it!

And D'Snowth, you've single-handedly mentioned the cream of the animation crop! I adore ALL those characters! The guy who actually created Felix was the great great grandfather of a guy I went to highschool with. And Bullwinkle, no doubt the greatest cartoon to come out of the late 50's/early 60's.

But man, Popeye is always gonna be my all-time favorite!

melissa@muppet

Reaction score
POPEYE IS COOL. I LOVE THE MOVIE WITH ROBIN WILLIAMS PLAYING POPEYE. HOPEFULLY IT WILL BE RELEASED ON DVD IN AUSTRALIA.