1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Save Muppet Central Radio
    Within days Muppet Central Radio could be off the air. Show your support and save the station by listening via Radionomy's website and apps. We're also on iTunes and Apple TV. Learn More

Who owns the rights to...

Discussion in 'Muppet Headlines' started by GelflingWaldo, Aug 3, 2004.

1. GelflingWaldo

GelflingWaldo New Member

After Henson spilt things up between Disney, HIT!, and the Jim Henson Company; I have some questions on who owns what now. Below is a list of some shows & specials I have questions about. Please let me know who got what. If their would be a DVD/VHS release, or re-airing of these who would have to make the call? If anyone knows please post. Thanks

Sam & Friends
    Secret Life of Toys
    The Christmas Toy
    Dinosaurs
    Fraggle Rock (animated)
    Tales of Tinkerdee
    Jim Henson Hour
    The Storyteller
    Muppet Musicians of Bremen
    The Frog Prince
    Hey Cinderella
    Tales of Tinkerdee

2. McFraggle

McFraggle Active Member

Sam & Friends- ?
    Secret Life of Toys- I would assume Henson.
    The Christmas Toy- Henson
    Dinosaurs- Disney?
    Fraggle Rock (animated)- Henson.
    Tales of Tinkerdee- ?
    Jim Henson Hour - Muppet-related parts-Disney, other-Henson.
    The Storyteller- Henson.
    Muppet Musicians of Bremen- Disney.
    The Frog Prince- Disney.
    Hey Cinderella- Disney.
    Tales of Tinkerdee- ?.

3. BoyRaisin2

BoyRaisin2 Active Member

Sounds about right. I'm pretty sure Henson owns the early stuff like "Sam" and "Tinkerdee." If NOT, wow.

4. Muppetsdownunder

Muppetsdownunder New Member

I think Disney now owns all the muppet movies, TV Shows and specials aswell as bear in the big blue house, Dinosaurs etc. I think Henson owns everything else except sesame street.
    I hope I didnt make a mistake there.

5. Rowlf's Roadie

Rowlf's Roadie New Member

Wouldn't anything with Kermit be owned by Disney?

6. BoyRaisin2

BoyRaisin2 Active Member

Not necessarily. Basically, anything with Kermit and THE Muppets in starring roles are owned by Disney. Specials like Emmet Otter and Christmas Toy, while they feature Kermit in the narrating role in the beginning and the end, are still owned by Henson. Probably because they focus on characters outside the "Muppet" orbit.

I bet you that "The Tale of the Bunny Picnic" would still be owned by Henson today if Bean Bunny was not adopted into the Classic Muppet troupe through JHH, MV3D, and Muppet Babies.

7. a_Mickey_Muppet

a_Mickey_Muppet Well-Known Member

I thought Disney got Bunny Picnic? :confused:

8. BoyRaisin2

BoyRaisin2 Active Member

That's what I said. I bet that "Bunny Picnic" would still be owned by Henson today if Bean Bunny did not become one of the "Classic Muppets."

9. WOCKA2416

WOCKA2416 Member

The specials that only feature Kermit in a narrating role are still owned by henson. They are going to just have to cut his part out of it.

10. GelflingWaldo

GelflingWaldo New Member

I don't know if that is true. Just like how Sesame Workshop owns Big Bird and Oscar but they appear in the Muppet Movie and Muppet Caper uncut. Or Kermit apperiances in VH1's I love the 70s can reair without him being cut out even though Disney does not own them. I think Kermit's small roles in these specials will be considered like guest stars/cameos. I think Disney would allow him to still be apart of them. Kermit is not the "selling point" or "money making" part of the special, so Disney has nothing to loose allowing the Kermit image to say in the specials they did not get that have small Kermit roles (if anything it's free publicity of their character) .

11. WOCKA2416

WOCKA2416 Member

I am right...They're editing Kermit out of "Christmas Toy" and/or "Secret Lives of Toys" before they re-release them.

12. GelflingWaldo

GelflingWaldo New Member

I had not heard that. Where did you hear that? And are there plans to re-release the "Christmas Toy" and "Secret Lives of Toys" anytime soon?

13. BoyRaisin2

BoyRaisin2 Active Member

Yeah, where did you hear that? I don't think we should be quick to assume that just because Disney owns the Kermit character, he'll be cut out of "Emmet Otter" and "Christmas Toy," despite how minimal a part he played. Just like I think it'd be wrong to assume that the Sesame and Fraggle and Creature Shop characters will be cut out of scenes from now Disney-owned Muppet specials. Unless we have been told otherwise.

14. WOCKA2416

WOCKA2416 Member

You don't have to believe me...

15. GelflingWaldo

GelflingWaldo New Member

I've done some research and tried to put a list togeather of who owns what. If you can give some help I still have some questionables. If you have any information to help my list, or have any corrections/additions please let me know.

Unknown Ownership
    Jim Henson’s Animal Show
    Dog City
    Sam and Friends
    The Secret Life of Toys
    The Christmas Toy
    Tales of the Tinkerdee
    Land of the Tinkerdee
    The Wubbulous World of Dr. Seuss
    Mr. Willowby’s Christmas Tree
    Jim Henson: Animal Jams

16. BoyRaisin2

BoyRaisin2 Active Member

Very nice rundown.

As for "Unknown Ownership," Disney owns "Mr. Willowby" and Henson retains the rest.

For the Muppet films Disney has Henson's "stakes," so to speak, in MTM and MFS. TMM and GMC are the two Henson films that Disney bought FROM Henson. As for "Swamp Years" and the NBC movie, assuming they are not owned by CTHE and NBC Studios, they would be part of Disney too. Either way, Disney owns the characters.

17. Not sure where AS would fall as Sam the Eagle was in one episode.
    Disney likely has Dog City, it's based on a JHH episode that has :sympathy: in it.
    Disney most likely has Sam & Friends for :)
    If Disney is getting MWCT then they'll get those 2 specials, them or HIT
    Tinkerdee goes with Disney.
    Dr. Suess is Henson
    Animal Jam is Henson

18. GelflingWaldo

GelflingWaldo New Member

In doing more research I have found the owners of the "unknowns":

Tales of the Tinkerdee - Muppet Holding Co.
    Land of the Tinkerdee - Muppet Holding Co.
    Mr. Willowby’s Christmas Tree- Muppet Holding Co.

Jim Henson’s Animal Show - Jim Henson Company
    Dog City - Jim Henson Company

Sam and Friends - Jim Henson Company
    The Secret Life of Toys - Jim Henson Company
    The Christmas Toy - Jim Henson Company
    The Wubbulous World of Dr. Seuss - Jim Henson Company
    Jim Henson: Animal Jams - Jim Henson Company

What I do not know is if HIT! Entertainment also has the distribution rights to any of the Henson shows here aswell. From what I found they don't, but I'm not 100% sure on that.

19. BoyRaisin2

BoyRaisin2 Active Member

Well "Tinkerdee" was an unknown, the rest were pretty much known. And since they are part of Henson's "Family Showcase" catalogue, HIT owns the distribution rights to them for the next 5 years.

20. WOCKA2416

WOCKA2416 Member

I don't think HIT would own 100% of them but I have heard some rumors that one or both of the "Toy" shows is going to be released on DVD but with Kermit edited out as narrator. :)