Who remembers these?

dustinrn

Reaction score
Who remembers these "real-life" films from the late 70's- early 80's on SS:

One about kids playing jacks and using a horseshoe magnet to get a fallen jack back

The one where a hispanic mother and daughter go to a market to buy things for the chicken soup they make. At the end of the film the daughter says "MMMM, Mommi, the soup buena!"

A short film about a nyc all-black girls track team called the "flashettes"

Another short film that looks like it was filmed in the south bronx showing a steet basketball game, a kid rolling an old tire down the street, kids playing hopscotch, then they all gather around a snowcone vendor- wild bongo and horn music plays throughout the clip
:flirt:

Klonoa

Reaction score
Only one I remember out of the bunch was the one where they use a magnet to get a jack that fell from a balcony. Do kids play jacks anymore? That was kind of 'old hat' even when I was little.

--Klonoa
"Anyonewanttoplayjacksafterdinner?" --PowerPuff Girls

Pug Lover

Reaction score
How about the film that began with a mother and daughter in the kitchen,the daughter eating her dinner,and the mother picks up a potatoe and says to her daughter"The potatoe"and gives a lecture all about potatoes.About the only other thing I remember,was the mother and daughter riding in a small truck with a man who was either the father or a potatoe farmer they had hooked up with,and the three of them singing"potatoes,potatoes potatoes". Or the film where a voice says"stop"and they'd freeze the picture until the voice says"go".The one scene I remember most from that film,was where a group of kids are seated at a long table in what appears to be an eating contest.When the voice says"stop",the kids all freeze in unison,until the voice says"go"and they go back to their eating race. Another"stop,go"related film I remember,was a group of children in what looked like a dance studio,dancing to disco music.Every few minutes a male voice would say"stop",and the children would just stop dancing while the music would stop at the same time.Finally at the end of the film,while they're dancing to their music,and once again the voice says"stop",a black boy in the group points to the screen and says"you stop". Though this next one I remember is not among the film's that you're referring to,it's one of my favourite segments that you may very well remember as well.Lewiess and Bob were moving around in fast motion to fast music.They were building a train track.When they completed the track with a huge tunnell,we suddenly hear the sound of a train whistle.In slow motion Bob and Lewiess look to the camera with startled and shocked facial expressions.The two of them then hide their faces on eachother's shoulders while a huge train comes out of the tunnell.After that,Bob and Lewiess are back to fast motion while taking down the tunnell and train tracks. :flirt:

Klonoa

Reaction score
Aaannnnnddd...the only one I remember out of that bunch was the "You stop" skit. That kid's gonna go far. Did the daughter with the potato mom ever get to eat her dinner? Poor girl. When you're hungry you don't care about learning about potatoes.

--Klonoa

rjschex

Reaction score
Here's two more:

A little girl (preschool age, IIRC) sits down at a concert grand piano on a stage. She starts playing. While she's playing, she matures into an adult woman.

A rather lengthy film showing the process of bottling milk; a high voice (Blossom Dearie?) sings "Milk, mi-ilk, milk" pretty much throughout. At the end, a baby's bottle gets filled.

NOTE: Blossom Dearie is the high-voiced jazz singer best known for her work on "Schoolhouse Rock" doing "Figure Eight" and "Unpack Your Adjectives".

eeaddio

Reaction score
Heehee! yet another one I would have totally forgotten about unless reminded...that jack one...totally remember it now!!!

Al Hempker

Reaction score
I pretty much remember all of those. I've had these stuck in my head though:

There's an asian kid and his grandfather and they have this killer kite with several sections that gets tangled up. The grandfather sits down to do a painting and this african-american kid goes up and they get the kite untangled and flying. There's also a killer guitar piece that accompanies the film. Anyone know about the guitar piece?

There's also the one about the 'cow-dog' that has the little ditty that goes 'I'm a dog, I'm a workin' dog, I'm a hard workin' dog.'