Who should be the next smiley?

ReoRogerz

Reaction score
Hey, I have a question. Just for fun, let's take a poll, which Muppet do you guys think should be the next smiley face? Just wondering what you think. Personally, I'd like it to be somebody completely obscure, like Wayne & Wanda, but my vote would have to go to Big Bird. Probably the most well-known of all the Muppets, where's his smiley? Cookie Monster has to be a close second. And just wondering, who's this :cry:? I've seen him, he's on that Big Bear show, but what's his name? And is this :zany: supposed to be the penguin from The Muppet Show? Just making sure. All right, that's it for now, let me know who your vote would be for. Later.

Janice & Mokey's Man

Reaction score
First of all, groovy avatar. :flirt:

:wink:

And yeah, the mouse from BITBBH is named Tutter. :smile:

As for an election if there were to be a next Muppet smiley (which I understand there isn't), hmmmmmm...you're right, Big Bird definitely deserves high consideration! I would also add these as contenders:

Grover
Count
Mokey
Junior
Wembley
Boober
Sprocket

Dang, there are so many to list! :big_grin:

Oh, the and penguin isn't any certain penguin from TMS, it's just "one o' the" penguins. :zany:

Byron

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
As the maker of the smileys (that sounds so freaky) I need to inform you that 25 is our limit. None will be swapped, no more will be made. It's easy to throw ideas around for characters, but much harder to draw them emoting. I think we went the best rout. But it is interesting to see the different opinions. Cookie, Boober, a doozer and Elmo were all options that were cut. Rizzo and Bean were also ideas that were floating around.

Now, if you are going to do this right you have to relate a specific emotion to the character that can be easily represented without the use of arms. Just the head. Keep in mind that this is just for fun. There will be no more smileys.

My picks would be: Rizzo for hungry or the Newsman for News
:excited:

ReoRogerz

Reaction score
Oh, I was just bringing up discussion, I wasn't taking this poll seriously. But yeah, I see your point, having them as a smiley is the easy part, giving them an emotion is where it gets tricky. I like what you did though, the smilies are awesome. By the way, the idea of a Newsman smiley is brilliant, that would've rocked. I can't wait to see the figure of that guy.

And thanks for the compliment Byron. :flirt: :flirt: :flirt: Actually, I need to thank Fozzie Bear for supplying me that avatar, it was a HUGE help. And it's great to see another Janice fan, she completely ROCKED! Richard Hunt worked wonders with her. It sucks that since Richard is dead Janice is just an extra in the Muppet films. Same with Scooter. Janice is another figure I can't wait to see, why they're waiting until series 5 to put her out is beyond me. I might even buy two, one to open and one to leave in the box. I'm almost embarrassed to admit this, but she was my first crush. I think I should shut up before I embarrass myself even more. Later.

Janice & Mokey's Man

Reaction score
Yeah Brian, I'm, like, totally wif ya on Janice there. :big_grin:

And she was an extra, until the TV Christmas special last year...perhaps she's on a comeback? :wink:

Oh, and I love your siggie, lol! I didn't notice it till just now! :smile:

And if ya need to "feed yer Janice hunger" any more, feel free to stop by my Janice site (it's linked in my siggie) and get as much as Janice as ya need, buddy.

:flirt: "Fer sure!"

And hey, when you're around MC, ya can't embarass yourself by talkin' about Muppet crushes or loves or lusts! LOL!

:big_grin:

SuperGrover

Reaction score
Ok, here's my votes:

Grover embarrassed or Super! :big_grin:
Harvey Kneeslapper for a J/K or laughter-"LOL" smiley
(Elmo could also possibly be used as the laughing smiley)
Guy Smiley smiley for a smiley Guy Smiley smiley! X <--- insert laughing "LOL" smiley there. Actually with all these contests, a Guy Smiley smiley could be used as a "winning" smiley.

Jamie's done such a great job with these, there's really not much left that he didn't include already.

These smilies would be fun to include in the text when sending out cards from the cards section. What's the likelihood of something like that? :cool:

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score

Originally posted by frogboy4
As the maker of the smileys (that sounds so freaky) I need to inform you that 25 is our limit. None will be swapped, no more will be made. It's easy to throw ideas around for characters, but much harder to draw them emoting. I think we went the best rout. But it is interesting to see the different opinions. Cookie, Boober, a doozer and Elmo were all options that were cut. Rizzo and Bean were also ideas that were floating around.

Now, if you are going to do this right you have to relate a specific emotion to the character that can be easily represented without the use of arms. Just the head. Keep in mind that this is just for fun. There will be no more smileys.

My picks would be: Rizzo for hungry or the Newsman for News
:excited:
Darn. It would be nice if we could have more of them. I'd vote for maybe the Swedish Chef for hungry. Actually, that would work better for Cookie Monster. Let's see who else don't we have? We need a Rizzo. I don't even know who that blue mouse is. I'll try to think of more suggestions.

Luke

Reaction score
Originally posted by SuperGrover
These smilies would be fun to include in the text when sending out cards from the cards section. What's the likelihood of something like that? :cool:
I know the card script quite well, i was the person who suggested MC used it (and the Muppet smilies) .... Hmmmm i'm getting quite the creative mind nowdays aren't i ? LOL

Anyway yeah, the card script is CGI, so i'm betting it can't parse Server Side Includes that would be the only way to insert the graphics in on a button press - so no it's not possible !

Chilly Down

Reaction score
Jamie, I know no more smileys are coming from the sides, but I thought you said the ones along the top would be replaced during the summer. Are we seeing new faces then or are you just encoding the other ones to work up at the top? (Did that sentence make sense? It's late.) :stick_out_tongue:

Brian, to answer your question about the penguin: There's a long running joke in the Muppets about penguins popping up in completely inappropriate production numbers (such as those with a tropical setting). A couple years back, Luke did a humorous and popular thread on the old MC forum about the gratituous use of penguins in Christmas displays (when in fact penguins have nothing to do with Christmas). Since then, "gratuitous penguins" have been something of an obsession around here! :zany: That's why, even though there's no one penguin character, we were able to successfully "lobby" for Jamie to make one of the smileys into a penguin.

BTW, welcome to the forum. :smile:

If we WERE to see more smileys, my vote would be for a couple nods to the Creature Shop. Rygel from Farscape would be "bossy," Storyteller's Dog would be "loyal," and the Fiery would be "chillin'." :smirk: (OK, it's completely selfish, but a person can dream, right?)