1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

who sings "mahna mahna"?

Discussion in 'Classic Muppets' started by jakt, Jun 15, 2006.

1. jakt

jakt New Member

Hi!
    Can anyone tell me if there's one specific character that sings the "mahna mahna" song? Is it always the same character or group of characters?
    Thanks
    jakt
  2. jakt

jakt New Member

dumb question I know, but are the 2 pink characters "mahna" and "mahna"
    Can you tell I don't know much about the muppets? (gasp) LOL
    Thanks
    jakt
  3. Ilikemuppets

Ilikemuppets New Member

Mnhna Mnhna or as he's known on Sesame Street bip bop pa dot ta (Spelling?) Sings the song. He has a beard and sunglasses and looks kind of like a Hip-Ur-and men Jim Henson.:D
  4. jakt

jakt New Member

thanks for the quick reply! Is the name spelt Mnhna Mnhna or mahna mahna? I did a google image search for mahna mahna and those 2 pink characters came up, who are they?
    Thanks again!
  5. Ilikemuppets

Ilikemuppets New Member

No problem. Obviously, there aliens of some sort, but I would like to know the names of these things myself.
  6. jakt

jakt New Member

I've searched a little more and would the character be wearing a green vest and have a orange mane of hair, a pink nose and yellow sunglasses?
    Thanks yet again! LOL
  7. MuppetsRule

MuppetsRule Active Member

8. Ilikemuppets

Ilikemuppets New Member

Yup, that's the one, isn't he cool looking.
  9. Ilikemuppets

Ilikemuppets New Member

Oh yeah, I new that! I had forggoten what those were called!
  10. jakt

jakt New Member

thanks for the super prompt replies :)
    I'm off to check out that website you mentioned.
    You guys have been a great help, better than google any day ;-)
    jakt
  11. Ilikemuppets

Ilikemuppets New Member

12. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear Well-Known Member

Mahna-Mahna (the dash is important, it's his name) and the Snowths performed it on the Ed Sullivan Show and then on the first episode of The Muppet Show.

The Snowths were dropped and glasses gained when Mahna changed his looks for Sesame Street and assumed the name Bip Bipadotta with two girls as back-up singers. Another version of him appears as a rather sinister looking creature---too horrifying for words---who sang the song in the early years of Sesame Street.

Whether Mahna-Mahna or Bip Bipadotta, they both (HE both?) sang other songs as well.
  13. Ilikemuppets

Ilikemuppets New Member

They used to show Ed Sullivan show clips on PBS, and I've seen that. Man was Jim skilled at his craft.. I mean you would really have to practice that to get the timing perfect, and the technical aspect, oh brother. It's no puppet show.
  14. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear Well-Known Member

Nope. And puppetry is a LOT harder than people think it is to make it good. The more seamless and life-like it is, the easier it looks, the harder it is to achieve that!
  15. Ilikemuppets

Ilikemuppets New Member

Yeah, and he makes it all look so easy too.