1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Who thinks Frank Oz should come back?

Discussion in 'Henson People' started by HPDJ, May 7, 2005.

1. HPDJ

HPDJ Member

Who thinks Frank Oz should come back???

I think Oz really needs to come back! Piggy :mad: and Fozzie :o need his voice. It would be cool if he directed the next muppet film. Thoughts, please.
  2. Beauregard

Beauregard Well-Known Member

We've had this discussion a million times, and I'm afraid, it's getting old. As is Frank, and he no longer wants to work with the Muppets. Get over it. Move on. End of story.

eba:zany:{Sorry, if I sound harsh, but, leave the poor guy alone people}regard
  3. MuppetsRule

MuppetsRule Active Member

I think especially Fozzie misses Frank's voice. :o

Sorry if I sound harsh Beauregard but you may have had this discusssion a million times before, but obviously HPDJ hasn't. :mad: If you don't chose to participate in this thread then just ignore it. Perhaps you could contribute constructively by posting a link to those discusssions for those of us that are new to Muppet Central or may have missed them. That would be appreciated! :)
  4. HPDJ

HPDJ Member

Thanks, you're correct. ;)
  5. DerekJ

DerekJ New Member

Although this is why they list "age" next to poster's information...

And since, as mentioned, most of the John-and-Paul feuds between Frank and Brian Henson have already been discussed as length, let's just say, for the sake of answering title header:
    Frank doesn't. :(
  6. GelflingWaldo

GelflingWaldo New Member

I would like to see Frank come back to help write/direct/produce a Muppet production but I have no need to see him take Piggy, Fozzie, or any other character back from Eric (or David, or anyone else who took over for Frank's characters). I would love to see Frank get back involved with the Muppets behind the scenes.
  7. HPDJ

HPDJ Member

At least i'm proud to admit my age.

The Muppets were created for kids, get a life.
  8. lowercasegods

lowercasegods Member

9. DanDanStrawberry

DanDanStrawberry Active Member

I agree, Mr. GelfingWaldo. Now that Eric is performing Piggy and Fozzie, I doubt he'd take too kindly to having his characters taken off him!!
  10. Skeeter Muppet

Skeeter Muppet Active Member

*raises hand* I, for one, don't think Frank should come back. He's moved on and found his niche elsewhere; don't take him out of that niche just because you want Piggy, Fozzie and the rest of Frank's characters to be the way you remember them/you want them to be.

And in that same vein, give Eric a chance. While his Fozzie and Animal could use some work, his Piggy his spot-on. He wouldn't have been given Frank's characters if they didn't think he could handle it or do a good job.

EDIT: And now, having seen the last half of tonights AFV, I'd have to say that Eric's Fozzie is coming along very nicely as well.

-Kim
  11. mikebennidict

mikebennidict New Member

if the muppets were created for kids than Henson wouldn't of created a Muppet show witch was aimed at everyone. even before there was a Sesame Street he and The Muppets made appearances on variety shows such as The Ed Sullivan Show.
  12. Skeeter Muppet

Skeeter Muppet Active Member

Not to mention the Land of Gorch sketches on SNL...

-Kim
  13. That Announcer

That Announcer New Member

I think the Muppets were not intended for kids in any way; it was right around the time Elmo came along that everybody started thinking that the Muppets were just for kids, because Elmo was just too dang cute.

Eric does a great Piggy. His Fozzie is coming along and his Animal is mediocre. Frank should be brought back solely to do Sam Eagle, my all-time favorite Muppet. He should be brought back just as Sam chiefly because if Kevin Clash can't do Sam- and he's supposedly the best Sam right now- Sam might have to be eliminated, and then I would have a nervous breakdown. John Kennedy or Bill Barretta could do Animal instead of Eric.
  14. Beauregard

Beauregard Well-Known Member

Yes, I agree, Frank should come back for Sam. His part in MTI was just...wow. And I hoped he would rise to stardom after that, but he is dropping back again.
  15. That Announcer

"Anger? The man, is a RAGing volCANO!"

Sam is great. He is the most original, the most wacko (NOBODY can be that patriotic, not even my uncle Ron), and the funniest. He hasn't been doing enough lately, and if Sam goes, who knows who's next? Floyd, Scooter, Janice, Robin, Beaker, and maybe even- gasp!- Sweetums would go! All we'd have left is Kermit, Piggy, Fozzie, Animal, Gonzo and Pepe. And Pepe does not belong in the last six Muppets left.

If the Muppets ever come down to a situation like this, somebody take a meat tenderizer to Frank's head, because he started it.
  16. TogetherAgain

TogetherAgain Well-Known Member

one moment please, let me get the swedish chef, he'll take care of it... oh, IF. right. nevermind.

And that just so happens to be one of my favorite quotes from MTI.
    ...but its tied with the rest of the movie... :attitude:
  17. dwayne1115

dwayne1115 Well-Known Member

Its not all Frank's fault He thought he was doing what was best. Jim enouraged him to try Directing and ya know what he was and is good at it. If you have done any reading on Frank Oz the man you will find out two intersting things about him. He was a very hard worker when he was with JHC full time on any project. he alway saw it as a job notinng more and really nothing less. He would always push himself so hard. read some of his interviews they are really interesting. Also i was Watching the "Stephord Wifes" DVD behind the secence and Frank being the Driector was on this a lot and you could tell he was like a kid in a candy shop he loves to Direct so why do what he dont want to do. and do something else heck i say go Frank we love and Admire what you have done with the muppets and maybe one day you will come back and do somthing with them but if not its ok by me. No hard feelings.
  18. That Announcer

It has become clear that, for whatever reason, Frank Oz does not want to come back to the Muppets. He has directed some great movies like "The Stepford Wives" and "Bowfinger" but he will never have the success he did with the Muppets. I honestly do not understand why he doesn't want to come back. It would seem to me that putting Fozzie Bear on your arm and making millions of people laugh their heads off would be the ideal job. I know when I decide on a career, I want to make people happy. Now I'm not saying that Frank's films will not make people happy, but they are geared toward a slightly older audience (cases in point: "Dirty Rotten Scoundrels" and "Stepford Wives"). When two thirty-five-year-old men get in front of a TV and watch "Little Shop of Horrors", well then, good for you, Frank. But when a family of eight get around a TV and watch "Muppet Christmas Carol" and everybody laughs, and cherishes the moments that they are together, well, I'd rather do that than direct. If I can make an entire family happy and not just a certain demographic, well than I'd do that.

Frank, coincidentally, is my favorite director. On his DVDs he always seems to be a funny man with a great personality. I encourage him to direct, but even if it's just for one scene with Sam or one song with Animal, I implore you Frank: Please come back! We love you, Frank. We'd consider it a divine intervention if you ever said "Wocka wocka" for us again. :halo: :attitude:
  19. T-Bird Chick

T-Bird Chick New Member

i am right behind you. im also 12 as a coinicidence!
  20. Vic Romano

Vic Romano Active Member

I think it'd be awesome if Frank came back, but obviously what he finds rewarding is different then what you find rewarding (albeit, I'd agree with you that making families laugh would be more up my alley of "fun").

On a slightly humorous and not-so-subtle note, I thought Bowfinger was one of the world's most horribly vile creations to ever surface. Did you really like that movie!? Augh, I thought it was just terrible. Stepford Wives was worth the rent, but I'm sure glad I didn't waste my money in the theatre. But this was the only Frank Oz film I listened to the commentary on, so maybe this isn't a fair assesment of his "great personality", but I thought he was boring and I never made it past the first scene. I was surprised because I've seen him in interviews and while he's not super energetic, he has a vibrance to him that's entertaining, but that commentary on Stepford Wives was cruel and unusual punishment with the excitement of a dial tone.