1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Who Thinks POTDC Will Actually Come Out in 2009?

Discussion in 'Fantasy Worlds' started by JMPrater, Aug 1, 2008.

1. JMPrater

JMPrater Member

It's August 1st, no news, no trickles, no photos, no status reports, only that interview with Brian Froud citing how those behind the film are figuring out a date to actually start production.

Maybe this is just me, but unless production is already underway, I don't know if this film will actually release in 2009.
  2. JMPrater

JMPrater Member

well, wikipedia states that the film may be at a financial stand still, and no one has responded to this posting. either everyone agrees or everyone disagrees. lol.
  3. Luke

Luke Active Member

These films take years to make - clearly if Froud says they are still looking for financing we wouldn't see it until late 2010/2011. They might have done concept animation tests but they wouldn't have even gone into production properly without finance or distribution. They need to find all that before this becomes a definite reality, and right now they have the Fraggles and fairy stories movies taking priority - i hope we still see it though, better they get it right than rush it.
  4. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

I really think this film should be shelved until Henson has a hit with the Fraggle movie. Then they'd be able to get some good backing for Crystal.
  5. The 11th UrRu

The 11th UrRu Member

Makes you wonder whats going on at the creature shop... do they move forward with designs, characters and such while this goes on, or is that kind of expense included in the financial backing they need. Its going to be awhile for sure...
  6. JMPrater

JMPrater Member

The problem is, the last word from Henson co. was that everything was on track for a 2009 release. We've had no other word from them yet about the state of everything. I would definitely be supportive of them not rushing this film, but it's been almost 4 years since the announcement of the film; how long will Genndy and co. hang on before the film is actually, well, filmed?
  7. crazed gonzo fa

crazed gonzo fa Active Member

Development heck stinks.
  8. JustListen

JustListen New Member

It breaks my heart to think of the sequel to one of my favorite movies being set aside, but I have to agree. I think that would be best for crystal.
  9. JustListen

JustListen New Member

:coy:
    I admire your passion, and I'm just as anxious as you are. We just need to have faith in the Jim Henson Co. that they have everything under control. For now, the loyal must wait.
  10. JMPrater

JMPrater Member

If there were a 'Jim' in the Jim Henson Co, then I'd have faith. That man would have realized way sooner then now that we, the fans are his most important asset. It is clear that not only is Jim Henson dead, but so is his sense of loyalty, which, unfortunately has not passed on to his children or the people that run his company.
  11. Laszlo

Laszlo Member

Shhht! 'Cough, cough...' :)
  12. Baby Gonzo

Baby Gonzo Member

I sort of hope it isn't coming out next year. We haven't anything from this movie, right? I don't want to see this movie turn out to be something that is cheep and rushed. I would rather a spectacular movie come out in five years than to see mediocrity tomorrow. I will wait for as long as it take as long as the movie is good.
  13. JMPrater

JMPrater Member

They've been working on this film for nearly 4 years, which is almost the same amount of time they've worked on the first film. I believe there's been enough time devoted to the planning and execution of the film to make me believe at least, there's a great film in the wings. Here's hoping we'll be seeing something soon.
  14. cabbageheat

cabbageheat New Member

Well, I haven't been here in a while, and it seems the new DC movie is still where it was months, if not a year ago. Nowhere.

Oh well. Perhaps this is a blessing? Does TDC really need another movie? I'm not sure. But, hey, if they abandon it, I guess that won't be so bad. But I agree, some kind of input, update or sneak peak or just a "no, we're not doing it" would be nice. It appears to me, they have lost some kind of communication with their fan base. The ball has dropped somewhere, and it appears no one is willing to go pick it up.

Oh well.
  15. Phloyd456

Phloyd456 New Member

http://powerofthedarkcrystal.blogspot.com/2007/09/production-update-from-comic-con.html

Thursday, September 6, 2007
    Production Update from Comic-Con

The Jim Henson Company held a special Q&A session at the 2007 ComicCon International convention in San Diego. Brian Henson, Lisa Henson, John Chandler, Halle Stanford, Patrick Bristow and Julianne Buescher were on site to answer questions from the audience. Inevitably some questions about Power of the Dark Crystal came up; here is what Henson had to say:

"We’re working on 'Power of the Dark Crystal' and those are animatronics puppets but with a whole lot of cool compositing techniques and animation enhancement that will be animatronics better then you’ve ever seen them done."
    - Brian Henson

"All of this is cloaked in secrecy...there is something great coming along... Fans of 'The Dark Crystal' did detect that we were moving a little slowly, and it’s kind of true, we had a little setback but are back on track. The movie will not be coming out until 2009 so we’re not going to be showing anything for a while."
    - Lisa Henson
  16. Redsonga

Redsonga Active Member

I may be a know nothing fraggle fan but didn't the first DC take more than ten years to make from idea to movie? I think to make a truly good movie that stands the test of time being made slowly would actually be a good sign in this movies case not a bad one. After all, most movies don't need this high level of detail:).
  17. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

You are right. Actually the creation of Fraggles and Gelflings were happening at the same time in the mind of Jim Henson. :excited: :scary: :coy:
  18. crazed gonzo fa

crazed gonzo fa Active Member

Sorry to be technical, but I think it was just 5 years. But you do have a point there.
  19. JustListen

JustListen New Member

The Dark Crystal was a give or take 5 year project. The only reason I'm so darn obsesed with the date is because its changed so many times. Its like when the pizza man says your pie will be delivered in 30 minutes. After two hours you begin to think "Uh...Did he crash and die in the fire?" That would be a crispy pizza. I just wish the Henson folks wern't so secretive. But i guess itll add to the beauty when its finally unravelledthat we dont know what to expect.