Whoopi Goldberg should not be invited to be on another Muppet special IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rugby

Reaction score
Due to her comments defending Polanski and the crime he was convicted of, there is no way this woman should appear in any future muppet specials. In my opinion, what she said was completely appaulling and the fact that she doesn't seem to have the protection of children as a priority makes me feel she should not appear in any program aimed at children. I know this post may seem controversial, but I would like to see if there are any others out there that happen to agree with me. This is something that's been gnawing at the back of my mind since Ms. Goldberg made her comment on The View. If anyone is wondering what it was she said, just google it. I can't bring myself to post it here. Thanks for reading!

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I think your extreme conclusion is just as dangerous as Whoopi's idiotic ramblings about semantics of the situation decades past. She’s known for putting her foot in her mouth at times, but she’s also known for her philanthropic dedication to charities of all sorts including ones that benefit children. This thread paints her with too wide a brush. I too hate what she said, but I’m also saddened by this demonizing of an otherwise good person. We’re not all perfect. I'm fine seeing her with the Muppets.

Barry Lee

Reaction score
I agree with you Frogboy. Plus her opinions should not give away from her gift of being a comiedianne. This thread is pointless and i have a feeling a war is gonna start. (Penguin flies over my head) :embarrassed:

Rugby

Reaction score
I don't expect a war at all. Just seeing the mindset here and it's basically what I expected so far. I am probably one of the only conservative minded muppet fans on the planet. What she said really bothered me and I know for me, being a parent of three, there is no way I would let someone like this anywhere near my children. There is no grey area when it comes to this subject. I don't see how Whoopi is having a problem in seeing what it was, as you all know she said, "Well , I'm not sure what it was, but it wasn't 'blank blank'." Huh? Wow.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I don't expect a war at all. Just seeing the mindset here and it's basically what I expected so far. I am probably one of the only conservative minded muppet fans on the planet. What she said really bothered me and I know for me, being a parent of three, there is no way I would let someone like this anywhere near my children. There is no grey area when it comes to this subject. I don't see how Whoopi is having a problem in seeing what it was, as you all know she said, "Well , I'm not sure what it was, but it wasn't 'blank blank'." Huh? Wow.
I've read all of her comments on the topic. Whoopi apologized later and reported that she was clarifying exactly what the charge was and not excusing the behavior. Saying you wouldn't let her around children is funky and seems to be more rooted in an experience external to anything Whoopi or Polanski.

Good rule of thumb - the age of consent is 18 for a reason. I'm still not over the Woody Allen behavior, but it seems to work for him. Still weirds me out, but I'll watch his films.

I don't think this thread serves a good purpose. I don't think Whoopi, the Muppets or anyone here approves of Polanki's actions over 30 years ago.

Rugby

Reaction score
Well, I'm sure it will be removed. I just personally can't stomach watching VMC anymore. I don't watch The View. Just heard the soundbites on the radio. I did not know that she apologized for the comments and explained what she meant. Still not sure why people wouldn't react with outrage rather than beating around the bush. Frogboy, my issue is with what she said, nothing else. If you are implying I or someone I know was molested, that would be incorrect. I do believe though that I have kept this discussion respectful. I hope we can all do that.

MrsPepper

Reaction score
You can't say she doesn't care about the welfare of children; she wrote a really great childrens book all about manners and kids really adore it.

Frankly this argument could be made about ANY celebrity. Personally I thought it was really an awful idea to have Kobe Bryant on Sesame Street considering what he was accused of doing a few years ago.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Well, I'm sure it will be removed. I just personally can't stomach watching VMC anymore. I don't watch The View. Just heard the soundbites on the radio. I did not know that she apologized for the comments and explained what she meant. Still not sure why people wouldn't react with outrage rather than beating around the bush. Frogboy, my issue is with what she said, nothing else. If you are implying I or someone I know was molested, that would be incorrect. I do believe though that I have kept this discussion respectful. I hope we can all do that.
That's what's wrong with modern culture. We hear a few sound bites between fast food ads and make serious judgments based on them. It's hard not to do so.

It should take more than a few out of context off-the-cuff comments to totally excommunicate an entertainer from your patronage. Whoopi hasn't built a career on being tasteful, but her sound bite was tactless. Nevertheless, your reaction to it is so extreme that there must be more to it. Nothing specific was implied by my statement, but it’s no wonder you took that to the extreme as well. I should have stayed out of this loaded thread. :rolleyes:

I like Whoopi, but she's been coasting for a while now. I think the Muppets can get better celebrities these days, but I don't mind Whoopi.

A few things I found briefly surfing the web...

Charity biography
Whoopi has served on the Advisory Committee for FilmAid International.

The comedienne has channeled her celebrity into bringing attention to countless causes including AIDS, children’s issues, healthcare and substance abuse.

“I fear waking up one morning and finding out that my life was for nothing. We’re here for a reason. I believe a bit of the reason is to throw little torches out to lead people through the dark.”

Since 1986, Whoopi has been hosting the Comic Relief television specials benefitting charities helping the homeless alongside good friends Robin Williams and Billy Crystal.

In 1999, she received the Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation Vanguard Award for her continued work in supporting the gay and lesbian community.

In addition, Whoopi was named a UNICEF Goodwill Ambassador in 2003

Causes supported
Abuse, Adoption, Fostering, Orphans, Animals, At-Risk/Disadvantaged Youths, Children, Creative Arts, Disaster Relief, Education, Health, Homelessness, Human Rights, Miscellaneous, Peace, Poverty, Rape/Sexual Abuse, Voter Education, Women

Charities & foundations supported
•21st Century Leaders
•American Wild Horse Preservation Campaign
•Comic Relief
•Declare Yourself
•Elevate Hope Foundation
•Exploring The Arts
•FilmAid International
•New York Cares
•Society for Animal Protective Legislation
•St. Jude Children's Research Hospital
•V-Day
•Whatever It Takes

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
I don't expect a war at all. Just seeing the mindset here and it's basically what I expected so far. I am probably one of the only conservative minded muppet fans on the planet.
I wouldn't say that. I'm a Muppet fan and I'm also pretty conservative. But then, I agree on some things with both Democrats and Republicans- and independents, for that matter.
Of course, I don't really always like to get into such labels and so forth. Above any label for any particular thing, I'm a Christian and my relationship with Christ shapes my view on any and everything else.:smile:
But honestly, I don't know what the situation is with what Whoopi Goldberg said. She apologized for the offense and explained herself, so that's good. There's definitely things I don't like about and don't agree with for some of the actors and actresses that have been associated with Muppet productions, but I try not to let that take away from my enjoyment of their performance.
But if you feel strongly about the issue, then you should stand for what you believe and not worry about what anyone else thinks about it. Of course, I enjoy "It's A Very Merry Muppet Christmas Movie" pretty well, but I don't like everything of it because I definitely have some theological issues with the portrayal of God in the movie. (I didn't particularly enjoy Howard's comment about Kermit's tush either. It came across as rather gay to me and I don't know that I would want kids to be seeing that though it'd probably fly over their heads. The Bible makes it clear homosexuality is a sin, but obviously many don't agree with that or choose to ignore it. And I can't expect a non-Christian to obey God's Word anyway, so I don't make a real big deal over the scene. People are free to do as they wish and I don't condemn people- I just try to show them the love of Christ and what His Word says.)
On the other hand though, I do LOVE the Biblical allusion when Daniel has to spit on Kermit to restore him back to his timeline where he has been born. I just thought that was AWESOME because Jesus used spit to heal people at least three different times in The Bible! (No joke- look it up in Mark 7:31-37, Mark 8:22-26 and John 9):smile::smile:

Status
Not open for further replies.