Whoopi Goldberg should not be invited to be on another Muppet special IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MWoO

Reaction score
Well, I'm sure it will be removed. I just personally can't stomach watching VMC anymore. I don't watch The View. Just heard the soundbites on the radio. I did not know that she apologized for the comments and explained what she meant. Still not sure why people wouldn't react with outrage rather than beating around the bush. Frogboy, my issue is with what she said, nothing else. If you are implying I or someone I know was molested, that would be incorrect. I do believe though that I have kept this discussion respectful. I hope we can all do that.
"Just heard the soundbites on the radio. I did not know that she apologized for the comments and explained what she meant."

This is what is wrong with the world. You reacted to some sound bites, not the whole thing, and now that she clarified what she was saying you still demonize her. She was NOT saying that what he did was right or not a big deal, she was saying she wasn't sure what the exact charge was but it wasn't *blank*. What is really wrong with that? Can people not have a discussion about topics like that in an adult non-reactionary manner?

You basically want to ban someone who works well with the Muppets because she worded her thought in a way that could be misconstrued, not because of something she actually believes. That is insane. And really, you say you wouldn't let her near your kids...why? Did she molest a child? No. Did she say molesting children is ok in her book? No. Stop over reacting to things that really have no bearing on our life what so ever.

Beauregard

Reaction score
I'm sorry but this is ridiculous! Are we really in any position to say which stars can and cannot appear with the Muppets based on their political views, religious views, moral views, or actions in their past? Should Miley Cyrus not appear with them because of those Vanity Fair pictures she released? Should Tilda Swinton not appear with them because she signed a petition for the release of Polanski? What about Tiger Woods? Given the opportunity, should be not be allowed to appear because he (apparently) cheated on his wife? Should Shia LeBeouf not appear because of his drunk-driving?

Pfft...if we were to examine the full history and everything ever said by any celebrity, there's no way they could appear with the Muppets.

Don't be utterly ridiculous.

Drtooth

Reaction score
That's what's wrong with modern culture. We hear a few sound bites between fast food ads and make serious judgments based on them. It's hard not to do so.
Well said. Sound bites are the bane of the existence of people who want to get the full story. A couple of out of context, exaggerated, or goofy comments AREN'T NEWS! Nor should they be. And I don't think it's news that someone did something immoral 30 years ago, and semi-got away with it (unless they are a politician and it effects the entire country in a negative way). But sound bites are true trash, and the reason why we have idiot loud mouths warp public opinion. Look at what happened to Sesame Street when they made a harmless joke about Fox News 2 years ago.. Suddenly, they're part of the imaginary ultra-left wing conspiracy brainwashing little kids...as opposed to a news organization commonly refereed to as an ultra right wing conspiracy brainwashing people with the IQ's of children.

There have been worse people involved with the Muppets, Sesame Street and all that. But HEY... they actually DID stuff, not say, from my understanding, that someone did something 30 years ago, and it's no big deal anymore. A dumb comment, sure, but a harmless one. We've had Richard Pryor on SS... he once had a kid's show canceled because a politician didn't feel he was a good kid's show host without even seeing the show beforehand. We've had the Simpsons... remember, that was the show the PTA wanted to take off the air at the time. Even the great Johnny Cash, who appeared in a LOT of SS and Muppet projects had a fuzzy past. I'm sorry, but this is EXACTLY the same problem that was stated when Snoop Dogg had a 30 second cameo in VMX... people whining about how evil these celebrities are, even if they want to get their lives back on track, Hey, do you think Adam Sandler should have been on SS as well for the kinds of movies he did?

These people are forgiving... sure, they aren't going to get O.J. Simpson in there... but I doubt someone who had an opinion that got warped by talking heads talking about soundbites, who later apologized for it is going to be blacklisted.

RedPiggy

Reaction score
The Bible makes it clear homosexuality is a sin, but obviously many don't agree with that or choose to ignore it. And I can't expect a non-Christian to obey God's Word anyway, so I don't make a real big deal over the scene. People are free to do as they wish and I don't condemn people- I just try to show them the love of Christ and what His Word says.
Yes, the Good Book also says "Thou shalt not eat Pepe, as that is an abomination." :stick_out_tongue:

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
This all stems from the initial case of Polanski.

A few facts about him... Polanski is a French-born and resident Polish film director, producer, writer and actor. He has been nominated and won several awards for film excellence including a 2002 Oscar win for the Holocaust drama "The Pianist". Other films include "The Fearless Vampire Killers or: Pardon Me, Madam, but Your Teeth Are in My Neck" with Sharon Tate, "Rosemary's Baby" with Mia Farrow and "Chinatown" with Jack Nicholson.

In 1969 his pregnant wife, Sharon Tate, was murdered in their Los Angeles home in a satanic ritual by the notorious Manson Family. Another couple was helping her through her pregnancy was also murdered. Polanski returned to Europe and didn't make another film for a few years. The media speculated and actually blamed the victims with what little information they had!

In 1977 Polanski was assigned a very questionable photo shoot by fashion magazine Vogue International that focused on underage girls. He later had relations with one of them (the details can be searched out independently). Polanski struck a plea with the plaintiff and pleaded guilty to the charge of engaging in unlawful intercourse with a minor. Polanski served 42 days in jail for psychiatric treatment. The judge then tipped his hat that he was going to make an example of Polanski and not honor the intentions of the court's agreement for probation. This would mean serious jail time. That's when Polanski fled to France. He's been in Europe ever since.

Ultimately this is a complicated issue and Polanski is a very talented, very complicated man who, in my opinion, did a loathsome deed followed by a cowardly deed. There is no excuse for it. He faced the charges and pled out (like most defendants) but couldn't see it through after the carpet was unfairly yanked from underneath him. However, just how fair should the court be to him in such a situation and where was his fairness and good judgment pertaining to the deed in question? I can't answer that.

Everyone has an opinion about it. I disagree with what he did and have very strong feelings about that particular offense, but I'd rather just enjoy his movies and leave the rest to sort itself out. One thing for certain – Whoopi didn’t harm anybody. Just the opposite – she is known for backing projects for those without a voice. She commented on a confusing situation that she (admittedly so) and most other people don’t really know much about in order to clarify the scandal. It was done poorly and then the media handled it poorly. I’m sure Bill O’Reilly had a good media meal from her statements. I'd rather not display a knee-jerk reaction.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Hey, do you think Adam Sandler should have been on SS as well for the kinds of movies he did?
I'd do better without, I don't even like him anyway, lol.
Should Miley Cyrus not appear with them because of those Vanity Fair pictures she released?
Small potatoes compared to the pole-dancing exhibition she did a few months ago, to which she simply brushed off people who criticized her because little girls look up to her.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
The Bible makes it clear homosexuality is a sin, but obviously many don't agree with that or choose to ignore it. And I can't expect a non-Christian to obey God's Word anyway, so I don't make a real big deal over the scene. People are free to do as they wish and I don't condemn people- I just try to show them the love of Christ and what His Word says.)
...like Jesus ignored/neglected mentioning gays in his over three recorded decades on the planet. I won't go into that can of worms except to say...I don't need to hear any anti-gay speak from Christians here framed in the Bible or any other mindset. Keep that to yourself! I really mean that. It all comes off as judgment and gays were not even remotely related to this topic. :mad:

Forgive me, but I do get so very tired of the Christian Supremacy and Christian Condescension in the world and especially on this forum! I respect all types of people including Christians, but not those who continually try to shove their views down my throat as some members do here on the board. We need to be ALL INCLUSIVE with no way of life preferred over another. I'm certain if there was a Scientologist quoting creepy things that you'd get just as weird as I am here and I'd say the same thing to them. Being sensitive to others should be an important practice of any religion, but it isn’t employed often enough! :attitude:

Drtooth

Reaction score
In 1977 Polanski was assigned a very questionable photo shoot by fashion magazine Vogue International that focused on underage girls. He later had relations with one of them (the details can be searched out independently). Polanski struck a plea with the plaintiff and pleaded guilty to the charge of engaging in unlawful intercourse with a minor. Polanski served 42 days in jail for psychiatric treatment. The judge then tipped his hat that he was going to make an example of Polanski and not honor the intentions of the court's agreement for probation. This would mean serious jail time. That's when Polanski fled to France. He's been in Europe ever since.
And the best thing is... Vouge got off scott free from this, if you think about it.

One thing for certain – Whoopi didn’t harm anybody. Just the opposite – she is known for backing projects for those without a voice. She commented on a confusing situation that she (admittedly so) and most other people don’t really know much about in order to clarify the scandal. It was done poorly and then the media handled it poorly. I’m sure Bill O’Reilly had a good media meal from her statements. I'd rather not display a knee-jerk reaction.
Which bugs me most of all. Whoopi is a friend to Sesame Workshop... she has been on SS countless times AND she even narrates the SW mission statement before all the SS DVD's that there's no way to skip past (not her fault... lousy DVD authenticators). Of course, the media likes to blow anything a celebrity says or does out of proportion... if there is a conspiracy theory, it's that TMZ is an organization dead set on making every single celebrity look evil... I still say they paid off the hecklers in the Michael Richards incident.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
And the best thing is... Vouge got off scott free from this, if you think about it.

Which bugs me most of all. Whoopi is a friend to Sesame Workshop... she has been on SS countless times AND she even narrates the SW mission statement before all the SS DVD's that there's no way to skip past (not her fault... lousy DVD authenticators). Of course, the media likes to blow anything a celebrity says or does out of proportion... if there is a conspiracy theory, it's that TMZ is an organization dead set on making every single celebrity look evil... I still say they paid off the hecklers in the Michael Richards incident.
It's all about who benefits. We live in a climate where Tiger Woods' domestic turbulence takes national news precedence over our troops in Afghanistan. It gets kind of gross.

Drtooth

Reaction score
The fact we live in a world where we should care about Kate and Jon or whatever is disgusting enough. Neither side os sympathetic... they both just soullessly sold their kids out to make a buck. And now they're in the public eye. I say, unless someone dies or gets killed, I don't wanna hear it.

...like Jesus ignored/neglected mentioning gays in his over three recorded decades on the planet. I won't go into that can of worms except to say...I don't need to hear any anti-gay speak from Christians here framed in the Bible or any other mindset. Keep that to yourself! I really mean that. It all comes off as judgment and gays were not even remotely related to this topic.

Forgive me, but I do get so very tired of the Christian Supremacy and Christian Condescension in the world and especially on this forum! I respect all types of people including Christians, but not those who continually try to shove their views down my throat as some members do here on the board. We need to be ALL INCLUSIVE with no way of life preferred over another. I'm certain if there was a Scientologist quoting creepy things that you'd get just as weird as I am here and I'd say the same thing to them. Being sensitive to others should be an important practice of any religion, but it isn’t employed often enough!
Well said. There was NO reason to warrant saying that to begin with... but what REALLY kills me as all the religious organizations spending all their time and money to keep plopping drivel that's well hidden in religious text, all the while ignoring the poor, starving, and dying on the street these people actually spoke of, and wanted to help. I also respect people's religious choices as long as they don't go off on holier than thou rants. I know no harm as meant, but there was no call to bring it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.