1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Who's going to see Disney's the Princess and the Frog

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JJandJanice, Feb 4, 2009.

1. JJandJanice

JJandJanice Active Member

I know I am, I'm so happy Disney is getting back to 2D animation, :excited:.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Pixar stuff and Bolt was a great movie as well. But if there is one company that should still do some 2D stuff it's Disney.

I'm a huge lover of Disney and man I can't wait to see this one, who else?
  2. Kiki

Kiki Active Member

Sounds awesome! Yeah, I do love the Pixar stuff, but it's nice to hear they're getting back to basics(ish). Yeah, I'm gonna see it- fer sure! :excited:
  3. JJandJanice

Not too long ago too, I saw the teaser trailor for it as well on my Sleeping Beauty DVD. This should be a landmark Disney film since it well feature the very first Africian Disney Princess, :flirt:.

So far the only thing that (at least as of now) I don't like is that odd little firefly or lighting bug or whatever? That could change once I see the movie, but who knows?

But all in all, I'm totally psyched to go see it, :excited:
  4. Baby Gonzo

Baby Gonzo Member

I've been anxiously awaiting this movie for what seems like years now!

The Frog Prince (and variants of the story) has always been one of my favorite fairy tales. And the animation, concept art, and promotional art so far looks gorgeous.
  5. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

Well, you know why the movie keeps getting delayed. They try to name the character one thing, and design her a certain way, and then she's a stereotype... then they fix her, and she's not African American enough... see why I'm always saying that it's difficult to come up with non-white, non-male characters? Some group complains about not being included in a project like this, and then when they are, they still pick and pick and pick at it, no matter how good their intentions are.

That said, isn't this pathetic? I like CGI and all, but we had all this buzz about one 2-D animated movie, and- firstly, there isn't another 2-D one planned for a while after it... and secondly, what if the movie isn't all that good? When a movie has this many rewrites and delays... well, you know that something is up. Every other country in the world has made some 2-D movies in the last few years... you just don't hear about them (except for 1 out of every 20 Japanese films). Again, "Lucky Luke goes West," "Asterix and the Vikings"... neither of which was bought by an American distributor... even on DVD.

I think Pixar is the ONLY company that gets it when it comes to CGI... to a lesser extent, maybe Dreamworks and Red Sky (though it wouldn't kill them to work harder on the scripts). Everyone else saya.. Hey! Let's make our own Shrek knockoff with as many popular voice actors as possible. Then we end up with disposable tripe like Fly me to the Moon and Space Chimps.
  6. JJandJanice

I think the Princess and the Frog is going to do great.

Yeah I agree with you Drtooth, I've been reading about this movie for about a good year now, and I heard about how she was suppose to be a chambermaid and all, but people got upset, :rolleyes:. That's lame, Snow White and Cinderella were chamber-maids as well. But be that as it may.

I think Disney put a lot of work into this movie and I have faith it will be great. The problem with animated films today is that almost every company thinks it has to be CGI or it's no good. Like you mention the Dream works movies, don't even get me started with Dream works, :mad:. You're totally right they believe if it's CGI and has big name actors doing voices it's going to be a good movie and that's just not true.

Disney's last 2D film was "Home on the Range" and it didn't do very well. I think they thought, well if a Disney 2D film didn't do well, than that means people don't want to see 2D films anymore, they just want CGI. Maybe Home on the Range was just a bad movie, which it was, very poorly written.
  7. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

Too true! Writing and execution of a film are the determining factors in its success. That and luck. CG is a tool, not a fad, just as traditional animation is also a filmmaking tool. If a film looks good people will come. Period.

I haven’t seen any actual footage for Princess & the Frog except for the teaser trailer so I don’t know. However they can count on my support for traditional animation.
  8. JJandJanice

Excatly Jamie Frogboy

Toy Story may have, at the the time, had the advantage of showing something totally new in the world of animated. But what really makes it such a great film was that it told a great story that both children and grown folks can enjoy. Overall it's just a good movie. Now for every Toy Story, there is about ten Bee Movies, :).

But I can't wait for Princess and the Frog, but at the same time, I'm looking forward to Disney/Pixar's Up. But I really can't wait for Princess and the Frog, first off as Baby Gonzo mentioned the Frog Prince is one of my personal favorite fairly tales as well. And I'm hoping 2D well make a comeback, that doesn't mean I want the 3D CGI stuff to go away, I think there is room for all of it.

Hey I just had a thought ,and I know this is a long shot, but what if when this movie comes out on DVD/Blue Ray, what if Tales from Muppetland Frog Prince is feature as a special feature, :excited:. Like I said I know it's long shot and probably won't happen, but hey wouldn't that be cool? A guy can dream
  9. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

Bee Movie had a fantastic art director, but that was about it. I remember Jerry Seinfeld boasting that the idea was sold to Spielberg on the title without any idea what the film would be about. That's terrible.

Here's the official Princess and the Frog website.
  10. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

:)
    Thanks, I actually thought the trailer was sort of funny, hehe.
  11. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

I is a good trailer, but it doesn't say much about the movie except how it looks and maybe the tone. I like the lightning bug. He kind of looks like Pepe but talks like Zippity-Zap! :rolleyes:;)
  12. Drtooth

All I can say is, they complained that all the princesses were caucasian, and once they made an Amfrican American princess, they had to treat her with kid gloves. I mean, really? The Princesses all had some big struggle somehow or another... Cinderella and Snow White had abusive families, Belle was ostracized for being bookish, Pocahontas had to suffer major historical inaccuracies... And yes, most of the Princesses where white... why? because most of these fairy tales were European. The princesses only started showing signs of ethnicity when they moved away from Europe, and did Middle Eastern and Chinese stories. There are plenty of wonderful African tales that could have worked much, much better. I'd kill to see Disney do an Ananzi the Spider movie.

That said:
    Pretty much the reason why they had to move back to princesses, isn't it? After a while, Disney was getting bemoaned by critics for doing princess movies, and once they moved out of it, they got berated for notdoing Princess films. I think that Lilo and Stitch was their only non-Princess hit. Atlantis didn't do too well, and the rest of them tanked...(Treasure Planet was a terrible idea). I still think Brother Bear is a billion times better than Pocahontas, though.
  13. heralde

You know Charles Schultz once said he was afraid to do an African American character because he might not be able to do it right. Of course he eventually made Franklin. And of course it was often commented that he never did very much, heh.

But just like with the presidential election, I'm going to concentrate on whether the movie is good or not, rather than race. :)
  14. JJandJanice

Excatly, that's how I felt, people should just think it's awesome that Disney now has Anfrican princess, but she's should get better treatment just for that reason alone. Curse this over P.C. world we live in now a days. That's also why we may never have Song of the South on DVD, I mean I understand that by today's standards that isn't PC, but come on, that movie is an animation milestone.

Oh and I agree Pocahontas is one of my least favorite Disney animated movies, I'll buy it something, just cause I want to collect all the original Disney animated films, but it will probably one of the DVDs I have that would just be sitting on my DVD rank collecting dust, lol.
  15. Drtooth

May I also add that the US is pretty much the only country that concerns itself with being PC? Japan drew Africans like we did in the 40's for years. Well into the 90's at least. You know I'm a big Lucky Luke fan, right? There's an episode with very questionable Chinese caricatures... and it was made in 2000. Even the Canadian English dub was pretty brutal.

Not saying we should be that bad, mind you. I'd hate to see that. But give non-white non-males personality.

Really. Ugh. What were they thinking? Fairy Tales are one thing. You can leave them up to interpretation as much as you like. Why, look at Disney's Jungle Book... that's pretty far from the original book. But they were messing with history there. And that's a no-no. Plus the whole thing was an epic preachfest with NO humor and stereotypical Disney princesses. You know the episode of Animaniacs where they did a brutal parody of the movie, singing about how all their heroines are the same? They were dead on with it. And also, in a deleted scene, when they were singing the ice cream song, the original line was: "Hey, there wasn't a song like this in the movie." "I know. This one's good."
  16. heralde

Lol, I LOVE that! "Just the same old heroine!" As much I love Disney, I had been saying that for years! :coy:

I will say though, there has to be a balance. I think we've gone crazy with political correctness, it's not helping anything. But I think there's a reverse reaction to PC nowadays where people look back at old cartoons and stereotypes and try to say they weren't that bad, which concerns me.

I mean, every group was stereotyped in the early 1900s (included African Americans) and for the most part, no one was trying to be malicious. But it was a little different with African Americans, because in addition to all that, they were being denied equality in real life. It was not entirely all in good fun.

So I'm not saying we should be all PC (definitely not! Lol), but neither should we try to sugar coat history. We have come a long way and we are more unified and sensitive than we used to be and that's a good thing. :)
  17. Drtooth

Oh, yeah. They WERE bad. Trust me, I've seen them all, and I just couldn't stop blushing. Bugs Bunny pretending to be a slave, and then turning into Abraham Lincoln and scolding Yosemite Sam.... Though, I did laugh at the Abe Lincoln part , I can't lie. And Mighty Heroes... with those random villains with generic Asian henchmen that have the same voice... yikes. I mean, you look at the stuff that gets people up in arms today, and it's nickel and dime stuff. That commercial that was pulled because Pandas had mild Asian accents... you can't even do accents anymore. And you know those exact same countries are harping on us like mad in their shows.

I still say they went about the wrong way, using a European tale, and not making up an original fairy Tale, or using an African tale. I always hated that they want to have nwnm put into shows, and when they're there, they don't actually do all that much, or say all that much. I love how Codename Kids Next Door handled the 2 girls (one Asian, one black) and gave them distinct personalities and episodes about their own problems.

That's why cartoon animals are so much easier. They aren't a specific race at all.
  18. heralde

Well, heh, except when Disney very obviously had animals meant to be specific races in some of their older movies. ;)

But anyway, about Disney princesses. I think the older princesses get such a bum rap for being old fashioned and obsessed with finding a husband. First of all, that's the way it was back then for women, they had no choice.

Second, the older Disney princesses had strengths that are rarely appreciated. They are emotionally tortured and abandoned by society, yet they remain kind and generous people. That's quite a feat for any human being, and an inspiration. With the newer Disney princesses/women, there's too much emphasis on independence and not enough on compassion (I mean Belle comment on "this poor provincial town" was awfully snobby!).
  19. Drtooth

Pretty much what the original fairy tales had in mind when they were first written too...

Their strength comes from struggle... what I was getting at earlier is if this new Princess doesn't struggle somehow, how can she be that rounded of a character? If there's one thing I hate, it's flat characters that are just there and do nothing... not even to get a laugh... and when you make one of them the star, you know something is up. I'm just hoping this movie lives up to the hype, and we see many other 2-D films come along from Disney. Well thought out ones, and not just serive to animation buffs.

That said, anyone remember when the Disney movies started coming around in 1989, and how we were actually buried under forgotten and often forgettable 2-D movies? Ones by random companies as well. No, I'm not talking classics like American Tale or the original Land Before Time... I'm talking stuff like Thumbellina, Sinbad... and others that completely escape me at the moment. The CGI stuff is hardly new, since third parties have been trying to latch onto Disney's turf for years.
  20. erniebert1234ss

erniebert1234ss Active Member

I'm CERTAINLY seeing this one when it comes out!

Although I'm getting better excited for Disney/Pixar's Up, while Toy Story 3's "official" plotline shows that Pixar ran out of ideas for the Toy Story characters.

BJ