Why aren't older Sesame Street shows rerun?

WiGgY

Reaction score
There are literally thousands of shows, right? Why not re run some older shows? That must be better than playing the same month of shows over and over again. In NY Sesame is on twice a day. Season 34 was over in just over 2 weeks!

They have all these shows that they are just sitting on. Why not just pop in some stuff from the 90's and 80's? If it's a matter of kids not recognizing the show, they could do it gradually. Maybe 4 shows from the current season a week, and 1 classic. It's gotta be better than a year of the same shows.

ssetta

Reaction score
Well, it certainly is a matter of kids being confused. But do you wanna know something? SS episodes were never meant to be rerun. In fact, they never had reruns of SS anywhere until Noggin. But I do agree that they shouldn't have taken off the shows from the 1993-94 season, or SSU, or any of that old stuff!

WiGgY

Reaction score
Why were they never meant to be rerun? I don't know what you mean.

Jessica

Reaction score
Well, they COULD, but it costs LOADS to have a station run old episodes of shows that were back in the 60's. They would have to pay about a thousand more proabably, and I don't think the Workshop could handle that. They can't even use old muppets because they cost way too much now.

ssetta

Reaction score
Well, then, why not release a DVD collection of every SS episode ever made!

WiGgY

Reaction score
Jessica said:
Well, they COULD, but it costs LOADS to have a station run old episodes of shows that were back in the 60's. They would have to pay about a thousand more proabably, and I don't think the Workshop could handle that. They can't even use old muppets because they cost way too much now.
What are you talking about? The only character they can't use without permission is Kermit, and JHC usually gives them special permission for old skits and stuff. Also, it shouldn't cost them more to run their own older shows. They own them. Just because they are old doesn't mean anything really.

I can see why the REALLY old stuff from the 60's wouldn't be run. The show was totally different then. But stuff from the 80's and 90's could be run without a problem. I mean, how easily are kids confused? One older show a week wouldn't throw their minds all out of wack. Even an older show at a different time would be better.

Jessica

Reaction score
WiGgY said:
What are you talking about? The only character they can't use without permission is Kermit, and JHC usually gives them special permission for old skits and stuff. Also, it shouldn't cost them more to run their own older shows. They own them. Just because they are old doesn't mean anything really.

I can see why the REALLY old stuff from the 60's wouldn't be run. The show was totally different then. But stuff from the 80's and 90's could be run without a problem. I mean, how easily are kids confused? One older show a week wouldn't throw their minds all out of wack. Even an older show at a different time would be better.
Well, see, Jim Henson owns them, but he's dead. That makes it harder for them to do that. Plus, since the new technology is out, they would have to edit the shows to the quality today, and since there's LOADS of them, it would take years to do.

WiGgY

Reaction score
Jim Henson does not own them. The Jim Henson Company use to own Sesame Street but Sesame Street was sold to Sesame Work Shop. They own the shows. Also, there would be no need to increase the quality of the tapes. If that were ture we'd never see old shows like the Honey Mooners or I Love Lucy. The shows should be ready to run on TV.

Do you really know what you are talking about or do you just make guesses about this stuff?

Amazing Mumford

Reaction score
Jessica said:
Well, see, Jim Henson owns them, but he's dead. That makes it harder for them to do that. Plus, since the new technology is out, they would have to edit the shows to the quality today, and since there's LOADS of them, it would take years to do.
Jim being dead doesn't really make it much harder to release old episodes. Brian or whoever else is in charge could make the same decision. I'd imagine the JHC would work with the Sesame folks on any sort of deal.

As mentioned before, there shouldn't be any technological problems. Old TV shows (older ones than Sesame) are shown on TV all the time. Plus, there was a thread a while ago mentioning how Sesame was alreday digitizing their archives or something.

Amazing Mumford

Reaction score
WiGgY said:
Jim Henson does not own them. The Jim Henson Company use to own Sesame Street but Sesame Street was sold to Sesame Work Shop. They own the shows.
Sorry Wiggy, I didn't see your post while I was typing mine. I forgot that Sesame wasn't owned by Henson anymore. You're right--this indeed makes it even easier to release or rebroadcast old episodes.