Why can't we get classic Sesame Street episodes streaming on Netflix?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zhelder

Reaction score
Why, oh why, won't Sesame Workshop make classic epsiodes available for streaming on Netflix? The new stuff (Seasons 35-41) has been available for quite a while now. Personally, I'm not interested in anything past 1991, and I'm sure a lot of others feel the same way. (Season 25 in 1993 is when the show really fell off the cliff for me.)

I understand they might not be able to make 130 episodes per season available, but c'mon, give us some, for cryin' out loud! The new stuff is available everywhere!

Sesame Skates

Reaction score
And give us stuff not already on the Old School box sets or iTunes!

Drtooth

Reaction score
Here's what I don't get...

Hulu's Electric Company Page

Hulu's Sesame Street page

Now, granted... The Electric Company (and I've watched a few episodes on hulu) IS interrupted by actual commercials, and I'm sure SW won't like that for Sesame Street (how many times can you get bombarded by promos for the howlingly unfunny "Morning After Show," even if you continuously click the "this ad is not relevant to me" button). But I don't see why that can't be a nice place for SW to put older episodes. Their own player on the Sesame Street site can't really handle an hour episode. Sure, we get the occasional 15 minute street segments... but the player needs to go under a lot of renovations to handle a full hour, and I don't think they're going to do that anytime soon. Of course, they can always put full hours on Youtube.

Sesame Skates

Reaction score
^^That's why I cancelled my HuluPlus account--that and they won't put up full episodes from the 80s and 90s (excu$e$, excu$e$).

Drtooth

Reaction score
I can't begin to tell you all the inter-corporate politicking that makes what's available on hulu and what isn't. Fox has to hold shows over a week and a day due to some legal problems with Dish Network, for example.

I just don't see why more companies aren't more open to putting classic stuff they can't profit from if they release it on DVD on that site. The Disney Afternoon alone would see a hefty amount of hits... though, of course, we probably wouldn't see Talespin no thanks to Louis Prima's humorless widow (reason he didn't come in and singlehandedly save Jungle Book 2). A lot of classic CN and Hanna Barbera shows would do great there... but no.

I will say, I'm surprised at what I found. Things like Mysterious Cities of Gold, Toxic Crusaders, both Hanna Barbera and DIC seasons of Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventures.. not to mention Funimation's subtitled version of Toriko... we didn't even have to wait 2-3 years to get 10 episodes on DVD for 40 bucks.

But it's just some companies are completely stubborn on the issue, and in some cases, the cable conglomerates are to blame. But in the case of Sesame Workshop, it's an unwillingness on their part.

Sesame Skates

Reaction score
I can't begin to tell you all the inter-corporate politicking that makes what's available on hulu and what isn't. Fox has to hold shows over a week and a day due to some legal problems with Dish Network, for example.

I just don't see why more companies aren't more open to putting classic stuff they can't profit from if they release it on DVD on that site. The Disney Afternoon alone would see a hefty amount of hits... though, of course, we probably wouldn't see Talespin no thanks to Louis Prima's humorless widow (reason he didn't come in and singlehandedly save Jungle Book 2). A lot of classic CN and Hanna Barbera shows would do great there... but no.

I will say, I'm surprised at what I found. Things like Mysterious Cities of Gold, Toxic Crusaders, both Hanna Barbera and DIC seasons of Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventures.. not to mention Funimation's subtitled version of Toriko... we didn't even have to wait 2-3 years to get 10 episodes on DVD for 40 bucks.

But it's just some companies are completely stubborn on the issue, and in some cases, the cable conglomerates are to blame. But in the case of Sesame Workshop, it's an unwillingness on their part.
Excu$e$ Excu$e$.

Kasey Kockroach

Reaction score
I'm just glad the new episodes still show a classic sketch (usually Bert & Ernie) once in awhile. One could always watch Sesame Street on Netflix, and just fast-forward to the good stuff? xP

Status
Not open for further replies.